Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Imam marries gay Muslim couple in France, French government refuses to recognise it.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Did he say it was lawful?
    That's what I'm getting at.

The whole debate is based off this.

If he didn't then the issue is with him and God.

Me and Dmon were having the debate because he believes it's possible to still be a Muslim and believe his acts were right because the Quran is 'ancient' as he claims.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Homosexual love and commitment to each other you mean. Do you marry your friends? In that case it is considered gay and forbidden. It's simple.

Youre simple. 70 year old hetrosexual couples marry without any intention of having sex, simply companionship.
    The quran mentions sodomy (which you could practice with a female btw), nothing else.

Thats why in some of the most strict muslim countires in the world, men are still allowed to hold hands or even kiss each other in public, which they arnt even allowed to do with women.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Show me the verse where it says it is forbidden to love someone of the same sex? Do I marry my friends? No because I'm not in love with them (bar my bf) and don't need an official commitment ceremony.
    And "gay" and homosexual are the same thing, in case you weren't aware.
    There are countless verses and hadith stating that marriage is between a man and woman, immediately followed by things like children, procreation, offspring etc (which only heterosexual couples can do). In addition homosexuality is strictly forbidden. So afterthe ample evidence, you still think same sex can marry? You are clutching at straw and are being rather silly about it
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reform)
    That's what I'm getting at.

The whole debate is based off this.

If he didn't then the issue is with him and God.

Me and Dmon were having the debate because he believes it's possible to still be a Muslim and believe his acts were right because the Quran is 'ancient' as he claims.
    Not really, the debate has mainly been about whether people should be allowed to be gay or not.

There isn't technically anything in the Qur'an which prohibits gay marriage, just gay sex.

And well, it was written a long time ago.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod)
    Youre simple. 70 year old hetrosexual couples marry without any intention of having sex, simply companionship.
    The quran mentions sodomy (which you could practice with a female btw), nothing else.

Thats why in some of the most strict muslim countires in the world, men are still allowed to hold hands or even kiss each other in public, which they arnt even allowed to do with women.
    You forget how Islam defines marriage, just like Christianity, between man and woman. 5 minutes of research will convince you the same but you're bent on shoving your liberal agenda.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are countless verses and hadith stating that marriage is between a man and woman, immediately followed by things like children, procreation, offspring etc (which only heterosexual couples can do).
    Well I don't value the Hadith. And yes, with the Qur'an verses, do you think everyone sticks to this? Do you think everyone just marries and has children, job done?
    The value of marriage has changed a lot. For example, arranged marriages were strictly the way to go, now some people marry people they love. So, when a homosexual couple marries, it is for the same reasons someone having a love marriage marries.
    In addition homosexuality is strictly forbidden. So afterthe ample evidence, you still think same sex can marry? You are clutching at straw and are being rather silly about it
    You're still failing to make the distinction aren't you? There is a difference between being gay, and having anal sex. Same way that there is a difference between being heterosexual, and having vaginal sex.
    You;re the one being silly, you can't even tell the difference between being of a certain sexuality, and actually having sex.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A gay couple doesn't necessarily mean gay sex will be involved, the same way a straight couple doesn't necessarily have sex....

Not everyone has to have sex in a relationship. If asexual people exist, then why is this point so hard to understand?

You can love someone without wanting to have sex with them... Look at your mums for example...

To summarise gay relationships=/=certainly having gay sex
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really, the debate has mainly been about whether people should be allowed to be gay or not.

There isn't technically anything in the Qur'an which prohibits gay marriage, just gay sex.

And well, it was written a long time ago.
    I mean the side debate I'm having with him.

For some reason he doesn't want to accept what I'm saying.

In response to your last sentence, no Imam would take the risk of wedding two homosexuals. I also follow the Hadith of the prophet so no, I do not believe in gay marriages.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep sure is! So that person doesn't really have any authority in proclaiming who's a Muslim and who's not lol
    I just want to say that I don't randomly accuse Muslims of being Kafir. I didn't even accuse him of being Kafir. It's the intention he has tbh.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:

In response to your last sentence, no Imam would take the risk of wedding two homosexuals. I also follow the Hadith of the prophet so no, I do not believe in gay marriages.
    Well the main theme here seems to be that people are failing to distinguish solely being homosexual, with doing a homosexual act. The latter is prohibited by Islam, not the former.

Interesting, so are you taking the authority of the Hadith over the authority of the Qur'an?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say that I don't randomly accuse Muslims of being Kafir. I didn't even accuse him of being Kafir. It's the intention he has tbh.
    Ofc, but tbh we don't know what his intentions were. I'm sure, as an Imam, he himself knows that what he has done is not permitted (directly) by Islam. But there are probably numerous factors (including his own feelings, being gay himself) at play. And Islam does say not to judge others, so maybe people should take heed of that.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the main theme here seems to be that people are failing to distinguish solely being homosexual, with doing a homosexual act. The latter is prohibited by Islam, not the former.

Interesting, so are you taking the authority of the Hadith over the authority of the Qur'an?
    No I don't.

The Hadith expands on certain passages. For instance, we're told to pray in the Quran and the Hadith tells us how. The same can be applicable to homosexual acts.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I can say the same about you, you havent accepted anything ive said and keep sprouting nonsense like he is not muslim....

I accept what you have said, and I have given reasons for my counter argument (does 'its your own view of the religion' ring a bell?). You just keep restating the same thing over with mine. You keep using your own view as basis to critisize why it is wrong when I say your view is not fact

Though it seems now you're just playing the ignore card when I'm trying to converse...
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I don't.

The Hadith expands on certain passages. For instance, we're told to pray in the Quran and the Hadith tells us how. The same can be applicable to homosexual acts.
    The Qur'an also says you should only use that for guidance.

And yes, homosexual acts. Not homosexuality in general.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is interpretation room for how you pray, which foods are allowed etc There is no such room for many other things, gays being one. No gay marriage in Islam I'm afraid. It's categorical.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You forget how Islam defines marriage, just like Christianity, between man and woman. 5 minutes of research will convince you the same but you're bent on shoving your liberal agenda.
    youre bent i dont have any liberal agenda"

You have just mis-read your koran
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    I can say the same about you, you havent accepted anything ive said and keep sprouting nonsense like he is not muslim....

I accept what you have said, and I have given reasons for my counter argument (does 'its your own view of the religion' ring a bell?). You just keep restating the same thing over with mine. You keep using your own view as basis to critisize why it is wrong when I say your view is not fact

Though it seems now you're just playing the ignore card when I'm trying to converse...
    It's not that I'm ignoring you, it's just that I feel the conversation is going absolutely nowhere.

If you're a Muslim you cannot say something is right when the Quran prohibits it. You just cannot. You therefore are no longer a Muslim.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Qur'an also says you should only use that for guidance.

And yes, homosexual acts. Not homosexuality in general.
    You cannot have a homosexual marriage / partnership of any sort.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not that I'm ignoring you, it's just that I feel the conversation is going absolutely nowhere.

If you're a Muslim you cannot say something is right when the Quran prohibits it. You just cannot. You therefore are no longer a Muslim.
    Logic dictates if you think something is wrong, you should not use it when judging whether going against it is right or not....

For example: France banning the burqa...
    Let's say the majority think its good this happened and you're one of them

Me: I think it's wrong, it's one step closer to the government controlling us further. First clothing, then what? Religion?

^----with this, I made a point that how things are now is flawed, and gave a reason

You: you cannot do this, you are not French if you go against the law. The law says its banned. Everyone is prohibited from wear the burqa. The law is from the government.

^----this is the kind of example youve been giving...

I'm trying to say something is flawed, but then you use the same flawed thing (that you believe is correct) in order to reply to my point....

You can't do that. It gets us no where....If you want to continue, explain why its not allowed to have alternative views without restating the quran prohibits this and that, or you cannot do this or that if you're Muslim.

Good luck, I doubt I'd be able to do that :/
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    You cannot have a homosexual marriage / partnership of any sort.
    Where does it say that?

Anyways, there are clearly 2 ideas at play here; one being that homosexual marriage is prohibited (debatable) and the other is whether or not the Islamic view of this is wrong. The general opinion of the non- Muslims of the latter is that it is wrong, but again, this is subjective.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 22, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.