The Student Room Group

Nuffield bursary, or the Whitgift SNAP?

Hi, I intend on apply to medicine next year, and I was wondering whether it would make much of a difference to my application, if I chose one of these schemes over the other. The Nuffield bursary is a 4 week lab project, and it has taken me months to find my own placement, and I think I have it now at a renal place. And the Whitgift SNAP is a scheme where you help autistic children for a week at a local school, and you help them with activities like swimming, drawing, etc.

I understand that most will say that the Whitgift SNAP will be more beneficial to a medicine application, but one thing that draws me to the Bursary is that it has taken a long time to get, and I currently volunteer at a primary school already, so would you recommend taking the Bursary over the Whitgift SNAP?

Reply 1
Go with your gut instinct I say. I had the opportunity to do the Nuffield bursary but chose not to simple due to the massive time commitment. I organised work experience in a hospital instead. That said, it would have been a really interesting project had I chose to do it.
Reply 2
Original post by Girl.
Go with your gut instinct I say. I had the opportunity to do the Nuffield bursary but chose not to simple due to the massive time commitment. I organised work experience in a hospital instead. That said, it would have been a really interesting project had I chose to do it.

Ah okay, I think I may take the Bursary then. As work experience wise, I think I have enough. Luckily the place is around 10 minutes drive from my house :smile:

Did you apply to medicine this year then? How did it go? :smile:
The Nuffield Bursary will make little impact on your medicine applicant unless you really highlight your love for science, research and academia - which might strike a chord with the medical schools at Oxbridge - but that will beg the question "why not study biomedical science?" in interviews. From my understanding, since two or three years ago the Nuffield Foundation have even started saying they would rather medicine applicants didn't take the bursary as it is to encourage those pursuing research/academia in the pure sciences. I even had 3 friends apply to Oxbridge (1 Ox, 2 Cam) who did the bursaries, focussed on it to varying levels in their PS, but all got rejected. They were asked about it, but more as an opening few questions to ease them into the interview than to test aptitude.

However by the sounds of things, you seem to have your heart set on following the bursary through after all the effort invested in securing it. If this is the case, go ahead and do it - but just be careful of how much emphasis you put on it on your PS as there will be better things to talk about.

The volunteering with autistic school children will be more beneficial for your application in my opinion if you reflect upon it properly. But having said that, reflecting on your nuffield project correctly will also place yourself in a good light, but perhaps not as strongly as the volunteering.

In most cases your academic potential will be shown to medical schools via your grades and scores in the entrance exams sat as well as your A2 results' outcomes. That satisfies them enough. The personal statement should highlight your personal suitability to become a doctor, show traits where you've exhibited such skills and how you are aware of the demands, pressures and evolving nature of the profession. Obviously you've got to highlight some interest in actually studying the basic sciences too, but that can adequately be done through just enjoying your A-levels and keeping up-to-date with major advancements in the news and their implications for medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by purplefrog
The Nuffield Bursary will make little impact on your medicine applicant unless you really highlight your love for science, research and academia - which might strike a chord with the medical schools at Oxbridge - but that will beg the question "why not study biomedical science?" in interviews. From my understanding, since two or three years ago the Nuffield Foundation have even started saying they would rather medicine applicants didn't take the bursary as it is to encourage those pursuing research/academia in the pure sciences. I even had 3 friends apply to Oxbridge (1 Ox, 2 Cam) who did the bursaries, focussed on it to varying levels in their PS, but all got rejected. They were asked about it, but more as an opening few questions to ease them into the interview than to test aptitude.

However by the sounds of things, you seem to have your heart set on following the bursary through after all the effort invested in securing it. If this is the case, go ahead and do it - but just be careful of how much emphasis you put on it on your PS as there will be better things to talk about.

The volunteering with autistic school children will be more beneficial for your application in my opinion if you reflect upon it properly. But having said that, reflecting on your nuffield project correctly will also place yourself in a good light, but perhaps not as strongly as the volunteering.

In most cases your academic potential will be shown to medical schools via your grades and scores in the entrance exams sat as well as your A2 results' outcomes. That satisfies them enough. The personal statement should highlight your personal suitability to become a doctor, show traits where you've exhibited such skills and how you are aware of the demands, pressures and evolving nature of the profession. Obviously you've got to highlight some interest in actually studying the basic sciences too, but that can adequately be done through just enjoying your A-levels and keeping up-to-date with major advancements in the news and their implications for medicine.

Hmm...so would you say that I shouldn't mention it as a significant part of my personal statement? You're right, it seems like a trap that I've put myself in, and if I did get that question, I'm not sure how I'd answer it :/ Hmm, did your friends have strong academics as well? Like for the cambridge ones, how were their UMS's? Yeah, I'm inclined to take it, as I'm called around 30 places, and most have just answered that it's for postgraduate people only. Do you think it's possible to talk about Nuffield Bursary in a way that shows my commitment to medicine/without the risk (or a lesser risk) of getting asked the question, "why not biomedicine?"?.

I understand that volunteering with the autistic children is great to show care, but would volunteering at a primary school be sufficient?

Also, could I ask for some advice on what I should put on my personal statement? Ignoring work experience (as I've got 2 main placements at respiratory and dermatology), but I volunteer at a care home, a primary school and at microbiology (also had a week of work experience at pathology). Would you say that I should only mention the care home and the primary school? As I suppose I've covered the 'sciency' stuff with the Bursary, so there's no need for the microbiology?
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Hmm...so would you say that I shouldn't mention it as a significant part of my personal statement? You're right, it seems like a trap that I've put myself in, and if I did get that question, I'm not sure how I'd answer it :/ Hmm, did your friends have strong academics as well? Like for the cambridge ones, how were their UMS's?

I wouldn't focus too much on it, but obviously if you are going to mention it - don't make it so brief it's essentially only a name-drop. And yes, the Cambridge applicants had very high UMS, some had a few 100%s in some modules too.

Yeah, I'm inclined to take it, as I'm called around 30 places, and most have just answered that it's for postgraduate people only. Do you think it's possible to talk about Nuffield Bursary in a way that shows my commitment to medicine/without the risk (or a lesser risk) of getting asked the question, "why not biomedicine?"?.

It depends on the way you reflect upon it :wink: I'm sure you can work out how to balance that...

I understand that volunteering with the autistic children is great to show care, but would volunteering at a primary school be sufficient?

Also, could I ask for some advice on what I should put on my personal statement? Ignoring work experience (as I've got 2 main placements at respiratory and dermatology), but I volunteer at a care home, a primary school and at microbiology (also had a week of work experience at pathology). Would you say that I should only mention the care home and the primary school? As I suppose I've covered the 'sciency' stuff with the Bursary, so there's no need for the microbiology?

Once again, this is your PS, it is entirely down to you. What do you feel you can reflect on better and show your personal suitability and awareness for medicine in a strong light? Also take into account whether you're comfortable discussing each item in depth at interview should they decide to pick up on it. Each of those placements have some unique traits can be translated into skills needed for studying/practising medicine at some point, and there will be overlap between them, it is down to your personal judgement to decide what is deemed more appropriate and a greater priority.

But overall, it definitely sounds like you really do have your hear set upon the bursary, so just go ahead and do it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as you seem quite academic and you will get paid if nothing else :tongue:
Reply 6
I actually did Whitgift SNAP in 2011 :smile:

Its a fantastic scheme and a very rewarding experience. Also, I feel it is very good to put on your personal statement. I say this because it is possible to use it in two different ways.

1) You can talk about what you gained from it in terms of skills. Like dealing with stress/challenging behaviour, for example, which you almost certainly would come across at some point of the week (I definately had my fair share). A good number of volunteers had another volunteer also allocated the same young person. In that case you could talk about teamwork, and communicating efficiently under pressure in order to minimise danger to any people involved. Its also very good in showing that you can act maturely and responsibly.

2) You may choose to talk more about the disability your young person had. How you experienced it and it captured your interest, and you pursued that interest by doing some research into it, perhaps by looking for articles in medical journals about it. But I feel this route is slightly too impersonal and you would probably be better off with the first one unless you're considering oxbridge I suppose. If you do choose to go down this second route I'd still perhaps talk about how you noticed the young people had a very positive attitude generally, despite the condition, and they didn't let the condition define who they were etc. which is one thing that eminated from many people's whitgift snap experiences. Because I think it's important to reflect on your own experiences where you can.

I wouldn't put focus on it in your personal statement though. But at the same time, as purplefrog said with the Nuffield Bursary, don't make it so brief its essentially a name-drop. Anything you do leave out, then that could be something to slip in during interview should they ask you to expand on it.
So I hope you can see it's a valuable experience, but if you feel that the nuffield bursary would help you more then by all means do it :h:
I did a Nuffield science bursary. I found the time commitment and project really useful and fun, personally. I threw it into my application, and it gave some more experience in a hospital but everything that Purplefrog has said is true. It's not really meant for medics. If you feel that you've got enough work exp. as it is to reflect upon then go for it. It's a really great experience, and a bit different to anything I'd ever done before. The OCR key skills level 3 as well is a little bit useful for part time jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending