Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you expect to earn more than your parents?

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
  • View Poll Results: Do you think you will earn more than your parents?
    Yes
    80.65%
    No
    19.35%

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live with my mother is a housewife and my dad is on around 26k a year so I might I dunno.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are people really this shallow? o.O
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frodo Baggins)
    My dad earns about 70K and my mum is a housewife. My mum was one of the senior managers at MARS (chocolate etc) and could have earned so much. I hope to be an investment banker and so i should earn more.
    My Dad is a senior manager at MARS High-five.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was earning more than my mum by the time I was 19.

As other people have mentioned though - this doesn't necessarily mean much since she was able to get a mortgage for £50,000 and buy a house in the late nineties which in the last ten years probably tripled in value.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dad's ridiculously clever (top first at Cambridge -.-) and although he never chased money and stayed in academia. His dabbling in companies as a consultant puts me way off him tbh. So no I don't expect to, even if I actively chase it I would be fortunate to even reach his level.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie1805)
    My Dad is a senior manager at MARS High-five.
    No way!?! That's so cool! What are the chances!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I will. Both my parents are working class, my mother has never been trained or qualified in any profession. No one in my family has gone to university like I will be doing. I see my working class background as a constant reminder that if I want my life to be better, and possibly the life of any children I have to be better, then I have to work hard at what I decide to do and become successful. Success does not imply that I just want to accumulate wealth, because I don't. As another posted said, I would accept a lesser paid job doing something that I enjoyed rather than earn more for a job that I hated or found unbearably stressful and destroyed my personal life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    veering off a tangent, it drives me insane that people in my college think when they finish uni they will immediately land 40k/50k jobs , I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does, probably because they scoff at the salary prospects of my desired job.

Back to the point, I was practically raised my brother, so I'm going to refer to his salary, he just graduated from med school last year, so right now he's on 25k to 30k (ish), I feel like I can hit that salary one day (fingers crossed), but whereas he can expect his salary to exponentially increase, I don't think the salary of a researcher can get too much higher than that, but I don't know.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    My career goal at the minute is to earn more than my mother. Hopefully this shouldn't be too hard because she's a nurse...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My parents are quite well off, so in reality I probably won't earn more until I'm old
    But yeah, I want to earn wayyyyyy more. Bring in the money ££££££££
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I do, I will bloody do all I can to help support them! I know that they would do the same for me.

In short, probably yes but I don't think the question is the right one to ask?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I don't I'd be very concerned - we've been living on benefits for as long as I can remember and I'm determined that, unless we have the same circumstances as my parents, I'll never have to live like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No for a number of reasons: 1. I don't have the same level of ambition, 2. My career aims aren't as financially based, 3. The economy being what it is I think salaries are a lot more conservative now (companies playing it safe with hiring)
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely because sadly income wise they're not a very hard act to follow...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Mum earns about £15,000, maybe less. So yes, I except to earn more than my Mum.
    My Dad earns around £30,000. I know I won't earn more than him straight away after uni, but some day I hope to.
    I love how I now know how much my parents earn after years of filling out these long student loan forms.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My parents earn a total of £16000 combined, now you give me the answer to the question!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect to. They once had enough money to go mincing round the globe as they pleased with s****y architect friends, which slowly dwindled as my brother and I came into the equation.
    I don't have any set career path or plans so who knows. Generally speaking what I would like to be vaguely involved in career-wise isn't notorious for being able to get a well paying job. But I'd rather get by with a job I love than be rich with a job I don't.

What! It bleeped out 'sw.anky' That's one of my favourite adjectives.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The education system failed my mum, she has one 'O-level' in needle-work...
    She's now a full-time carer for my disabled father.

So yes, after hopefully completing a University education, I will earn more than my parents. But this is because I have had the opportunities that they did not.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dad left school at 15 or 16 and has done various jobs including postman,carpet fitter,driving instructor and plasterer. He is now a warehouse operator (drives forklift trucks at a place that distributes books). Not sure of his exact salary,but I know it's not much at all. The thing that keeps him going is the fact that his Royal Mail pension is pretty good

My mum has decent qualifications (O-Levels and got some other various qualifications via Open University) and is now a Nurse. Again, I don't know her exact salary. However looking at the NHS website and guessing which band she falls into, I'd say it's about £30,000.

However I'm going to be ambitious and say I want to earn more than this..not sure what the reality will be though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mom is on around £40k and my dad and step-dad are on about the same. I'd like to earn more but I don't think I will. We're pretty comfortable anyway so I'd be happy if I got something like that eventually

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 18, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.