Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR AS Philosophy and Ethics Exam 16th May 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My teacher also mentioned the teleological argument as a prediction. Can anyone help, I got a B 74 UMS for ethics which is 1/2, so what raw mark would I need to get A overall? I cannot stand suggested timing for individual questions, I don't even spend the recommended time on each question, do people stick to them I find this extremely difficult lol.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Has anyone got the jan 2012 ocr AS ethics and islam paper
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniGold)
    My teacher also mentioned the teleological argument as a prediction. Can anyone help, I got a B 74 UMS for ethics which is 1/2, so what raw mark would I need to get A overall? I cannot stand suggested timing for individual questions, I don't even spend the recommended time on each question, do people stick to them I find this extremely difficult lol.....
    You'd need 86 UMS, which, depending on the exam paper, is likely to be around 60 raw marks out of 70 (though this is a percentage- as far as I know, OCR do not release the UMS conversion). Hope that helps.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniema)
    You'd need 86 UMS, which, depending on the exam paper, is likely to be around 60 raw marks out of 70 (though this is a percentage- as far as I know, OCR do not release the UMS conversion). Hope that helps.
    ah thank you!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for Ethics?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if anyone thinks Natural Law or Abortion may come up in this exam? ;s
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    Any predictions for Ethics?
    kant relativism/absolutism euthanasia and genetic engineering is what philosophicalinvestigations.co.u k thinks
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadalyn)
    Hi, just wondering if anyone thinks Natural Law or Abortion may come up in this exam? ;s
    Not saying dont revise that (very risky) but Id suggest read a bit more about euthanasia and kants theoryy
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    Not saying dont revise that (very risky) but Id suggest read a bit more about euthanasia and kants theoryy
    Haha of course I'll still revise that too. Okay thanks!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody explain the link between Good Will, Duty, the Categorical Imperative and the Summum Bonum in their own words?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I saw this post after a mini-freak out this morning. I'm doing the paper on Wednesday, too, and was just wondering if anyone knew what seemed the most unlikely to come up on the Philosophy and the Ethics paper? Thank you!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody explain the link between Good Will, Duty, the Categorical Imperative and the Summum Bonum in their own words?
    Sounds like you want something to memorise for the exam :L
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For Kant moral action is acting out of duty and good will alone. To work out our duty we must act according to the categorical imperative (3 Parts). If we act in such a way, our virtuous behaviour will be rewarded with the highest happiness / good, the summum bonnum.

Hope that helps
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniema)
    Sounds like you want something to memorise for the exam :L
    Nah, I genuinely know it, but - this is hard to explain - I find it particularly hard to write down coherently without feeling like I've missed something!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KitKatTime)
    Hi! I saw this post after a mini-freak out this morning. I'm doing the paper on Wednesday, too, and was just wondering if anyone knew what seemed the most unlikely to come up on the Philosophy and the Ethics paper? Thank you!
    I don't know, but I'd say that one thing that is very unlikely to come up is Utilitarianism
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    We all share an innate sense of duty to act virtuous. These are formed by the CI which basically outline what is good will and what is not. True virtue should be rewarded by happiness in the Summom Bonum.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think Moral argument will come up? I'd really like that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OohNana)
    I don't know, but I'd say that one thing that is very unlikely to come up is Utilitarianism
    Ah, thank you! That's narrowed it down a bit more, haha.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KitKatTime)
    Ah, thank you! That's narrowed it down a bit more, haha.
    Applying the hedonic calculus would make me want to run away D8
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kant's starting point is good will which he believes is the best reason for morality. It is on this basis he rejects hypothetical imperative. The application of good will demands moral duty, that is, if I think that something is good to do, then I must do it. This basically summarises his autonomy of free will and moral duty. Also we have a duty to do the highest good if we have two options that are good, we always choose the highest good.

The categorical imperative is what we should use when making moral decisions. It has three formulae: Formula of Universal law, Formula of End in itself, Formula of the Kingdom of Ends.

In our moral awareness we see that good things out to be rewarded and evil punished, this is our innate sense of moral law. The Summum Bonum is the ultimate state where virtue and happiness coexist. (read up more about this from the Moral argument)

Hope this helps

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.