The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy and Ethics Exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
not touching religion and science. way to long. hope cave comes up!
Reply 81
Cave already came up so it's doubtful, I think the theory of the forms or prime mover will come up if Plato/Aristotle come up and maybe the Augustine Theodicy?
Reply 82
hello im doing developments in christian theology rather than philosophy and tbh i'm really struggling with it, i mean ethics is great 20/25 on my a's and 8/10 on my b's which i'm really happy with but i cannot for the life of my do theology, and i know if i go into the exam tomorrow i will definitely be getting a U, anything i do jsut go's in one ear and our the other i cant seem to take to it. any good revision sites? or any advice? thanks
Reply 83
Original post by oconnell95
Cave already came up so it's doubtful, I think the theory of the forms or prime mover will come up if Plato/Aristotle come up and maybe the Augustine Theodicy?

they have 4 questions to ask anyway so could come up
Ive done revision but now just going over and repeating repeating:

ANALOGY OF THE CAVE
FORM OF THE GOOD
ARISTOTLE PRIME MOVER
AQUINAS TELEOGICAL
PAYLEY TELEOLOGICAL
PROBLEMS OF EVIL AUGUSTINE
PROBLEMS OF EVIL IRANEOUS
MORAL KANT

incase they do come up, doubt iraneous will but if they ask to compare then need to know
How could you revise for problem of evil, i need help?
Reply 85
So... just about to start Philosophy of religion revision.
Done new testament all day.. missed out lots as well.

Are the Theodicies difficult to learn~? x
Reply 86

Reply 87
If you've revised the Bible bit easily enough the theodicies should be fine. They're quite systematic so you can remember them well :smile:
could someone HELP,

if you get an essay on explain one of the theodicy what would the structure be
Reply 89
Original post by okonomiyaki
Applying the hedonic calculus would make me want to run away D8

They shouldn't ask you to directly apply the hedonic calculus, simply memorise a few like I remember Intensity, Duration and Certainty because they are the easiest to criticise when applying act utilitarianism :smile:
oh the questions on what is moral absolutistism what is the structure for that could someone please tell me
Reply 91
what would you say are the main things to revise for ethics tomorrow?
Reply 92
Original post by britash

Augustine
everything created is created by God. God is wholly good- no evil in him so anything created good. Following teaching of Genesis 1, augustine emphasised that "All God has made please him". Universe teaming with different plans and creatures and interpret goodness of world to hierachy: living above inaminate- reproduce above, sentenent above insensitive- intelligent above unthinking, importal above mortal. at lower scale possess a goodness to a lesser degree. evil not positive but a lacking of things, a privation of goodness, (privatio boni). augustine used analogy of blindess which is absense of sight. McCabe- bad grapes- lacks quality. Augustine: human beings evil: does not match expectation about human being should behave. we have free will so turn away from God- evil enters. idolise lesser goods. In Genesis 3, desire for power too much A+E who tempted by Satan. Natural- fallen angels running havoc with creation. however all humans deserve to suffer because present in loins of Adam. evil necessary for overall beauty of world.

ive done flashcards & thats whats on it, so its all shortened; i have a booklet on " problems of evil" if want it sent x
Reply 93
Original post by lmacknold20
How could you revise for problem of evil, i need help?

Go according to the specification
Reply 94
Explain Augustines Theodicy

- the link with the bible story of the creation and the fall
- the original goodness and harmony of creation as depicted in the Garden of Eden
- the fall and its consequences
- suffering as a punishment
- the seminal presence of all human beings in Adam
- link between free will and natral evil (Caused by the fall of angels) and moral evil (caused by the Fall of Adam and eve)
- evil as a privation
Reply 95
What would you put for Kant's moral argument??? No idea how to structure it!:frown:
Reply 96
Original post by OJC
What would you put for Kant's moral argument??? No idea how to structure it!:frown:

ant’s Moral Argument
(1) Moral behaviour is rational.

Moral behaviour, Kant is adamant, is rational behaviour; we have good reason to be moral. This is a fundamental principle of morality: if you ought to do something then you have a reason to do it. It makes no sense to say “I see that I ought to give money to charity, but I have no reason to.” If we ought to do something then that is a reason to do it. What is more, a moral reason is always a stronger reason for doing something than any other reason. If we have a moral reason to do a thing, and another reason not to do it, then rationally speaking we ought to do it. Moral behaviour is always rational.

(2) Morality behaviour is only rational if justice will be done.
Moral behaviour, though, would not be rational if there were no guarantee that it would be rewarded. If, as seems to be the case, sin often profits more than righteousness, then surely it is sinful rather than righteous behaviour that would be rational. Faced with a choice between doing that which is right and doing that which is wrong but which benefits us most, if there are no comebacks for immorality then it is rational for us to do that which is wrong but which benefits us most. It is only if there are comebacks for immorality, if justice will ultimately be done, that we have a reason to be moral.
(3) Justice will only be done if God exists.

Clearly justice is not administered in this life: some cheats prosper; some crime pays; bad things happen to good people. People do not always, or even often, get what they deserve. Life isn‘t fair.
If this life is all there is, then, justice is not done, and so moral behaviour is not rational; we have no reason to be good. We do, though, have a reason to be good. This life, then, cannot be all that there is. There must be something more.
The traditional Christian view of life after death has justice being meted out to sinners, and the righteous receiving the reward that they deserve. If this view, or some other like it, is correct, then we can explain the rationality of morality. If not, then, we cannot. The rationality of morality therefore establishes that something like the Christian view of the afterlife is correct.
Therefore:
(4) God exists.
Reply 98
Can someone give me an example of Act, Rule and Preference Utilitarianism?
Reply 99
I completely forgot that there is two parts to AS (I'm doing a resit got a C but need better..) the A2 is one 35 mark exam, but the AS is a 10 and a 25 if I'm right? I have completely forgot the structure of the essays, any help on how to structure AS essays correctly would be REALLY appreciated! Thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending