The Student Room Group

Revising the whole OCR AS Biology textbook takes too much time?

What do you think is a more effective way of revision? The revision guide is awful and Ive tried making notes. I'm moving on to other subjects now, revising has made me despise this subject.
1) Memorise the book - just go page by page, read and understand it and memorise the things you think you should memorise basically. Talk to yourself or write it down - whatever works for you.
2) Do the old papers e.g. biology foundation, human health and disease, etc (whatever is relevant) - you can find them on paperbank.com or pastpapers.org
3) Essentially memorise the mark scheme for these papers by memoising those key phrases, and also make sure you understand all your corrections
4) Do the recent papers of your actual new spec, in the weeks just before your exam...and you should be alright :smile: it doesn't take much time
Reply 3
Original post by romeoandjuliet
1) Memorise the book - just go page by page, read and understand it and memorise the things you think you should memorise basically. Talk to yourself or write it down - whatever works for you.
2) Do the old papers e.g. biology foundation, human health and disease, etc (whatever is relevant) - you can find them on paperbank.com or pastpapers.org
3) Essentially memorise the mark scheme for these papers by memoising those key phrases, and also make sure you understand all your corrections
4) Do the recent papers of your actual new spec, in the weeks just before your exam...and you should be alright :smile: it doesn't take much time

Im trying but I seem to be only revising at a rate of 2 pages a day, how many hours a day is enuff from now to the f211 and f212 exam
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by trrr
Im trying but I seem to be only revising at a rate of 2 pages a day, how many hours a day is enuff from now to the f211 and f212 exam

last year when i did it, i only had the f212 exam in june (cos i did the f211 exam in jan) so i really feel for you! Umm, i would say you can crank that number up to 4, 6 or even 8 (depending on the pages), as long as you split it up a lot. But i'm not too sure.

I would recommend not spending more than 30 minutes memorising in one go and make sure you keep refreshing back on old stuff. Spread it out a lot, between your other subjects. Revising bio doesn't have to be so mind draining. It's important not to try to cram it all in. Take it in slowly, go at your own rate. But maybe do set a date when you would like to know everthing by. It's definitely easier to revise in holidays and study leave. Also make sure you have time to do papers because they really do help.
Reply 5
I got an A* in my coursework tho, all i really need is a C
i just realised i didn't actually answer your question! I'm not sure on how many hours you spend on bio - it depend on how long you revise for in total and how the revision of your other subjects is going.

When are your exams btw?
I got an A* in my coursework tho, all i really need is a C

oh. well then it's up to you really. revise for whatever grade you want to get. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by romeoandjuliet
i just realised i didn't actually answer your question! I'm not sure on how many hours you spend on bio - it depend on how long you revise for in total and how the revision of your other subjects is going.

When are your exams btw?

14TH and 27th, Im lost for time and Ive only just started revising for other subjects
Hi AS biology people!
At school we got given a revision disc with loads of past questions (from the previous specification) that are relevant to this course.

I've uploaded them to Google Docs, and they should be viewable from the below link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By84nmCmJZnWMU5EN2RDcmtBU2s

This includes questions for F211, F212, F214 and F215

Please +ve rep if this has been helpful!
Reply 10
Original post by trrr
What do you think is a more effective way of revision? The revision guide is awful and Ive tried making notes. I'm moving on to other subjects now, revising has made me despise this subject.

Back in january i had re-sat F211, F212 as well as taking F214 (and 1 other psychology exams). I gained a B in each exam, so it is doable :smile:
I see you said you seem to be doing 2 spreads a day, i think you really need to up this, i manage to do a spread in about half an hour, so for me thats probably like 8 spreads a day!

For each spread i write it up in colours so i can remember it more easily, then do the questions at the bottom of each spread. this seems to work for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending