The Student Room Group

hep B vaccination problem

I need to be at least two injections through the Hepatitis B immunisation process by the time I enrol at Imperial College for medicine in October. BUT my GP surgery refuse to provide the vaccination on the NHS, sayin that the responsibility lies with the occupational health dept. of the medical school. Apparently the local PCT have a policy to not provide HepB vaccinations to future med students... So i'm in a bit of a pickle. The GP won't vaccinate me, and I can't study medicine with being vaccinated :mad: Any advice on what I should do? I don't want to go private since the cost is £200 :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Speak to the medschool, get them to speak to pct, the medschool might pay for it. Angry letter to PCT ... good practice.
Reply 2
my gp wont give it to me either, so i'm gonna see if bupa will..
Reply 3
What ever you do, get it sorted one way or another. In 2003, 2004 and 2005 both Imperial and UCL have withdrawn offers for failing to make their immunisation deadlines...

I know it's 'unfair' and a right royal pain in the arse, but would you seriously jeapodise your whole future for £200...

One thing that might be worth trying is moving GP... Failing that, see if Imperials Occupational Health dept will do it for you...
Reply 4
PS - GP's do not get paid for immunising medical students, those who do do it are doing it out of not only the goodness of their own hearts, but also out of the goodness of their own pockets...
Reply 5
yeah, i mean it's not paying for them that's the prob.. just convincing them to let me have it, of course if i was going on holiday to certain areas that'b be another story.. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
of course i'll make sure that I get the vaccination and meet the health requirements, I just think that the resposibility for the vaccination has been shuffled from GP to PCT to medschool to GP... If I have to then I will pay privately, but on principles it is not something which I agree with. If the HepB vaccination is available on the NHS then I believe that ALL health professionals including students should be immunised free of charge.

Doesn't it just seem like getting into medicine is one hurdle after another?

oh yeah I emailed Imperials' occupational health department to see what they can do.
Reply 7
when i started volunteering at the hospital i had to get HepB from the occupational health. i think its them that you should try and convince or...try changing your GP. lol
Reply 8
Yellowmellow
of course i'll make sure that I get the vaccination and meet the health requirements, I just think that the resposibility for the vaccination has been shuffled from GP to PCT to medschool to GP... If I have to then I will pay privately, but on principles it is not something which I agree with. If the HepB vaccination is available on the NHS then I believe that ALL health professionals including students should be immunised free of charge.

Doesn't it just seem like getting into medicine is one hurdle after another?

oh yeah I emailed Imperials' occupational health department to see what they can do.

The responsibility to immunise you have never laid with the GP. This isn't a new thing for this year, it's been the case for ages...

The HepB jab isn't 'ordinarily' available on the NHS, guideline dictate who can and can't habe it for free. Medical students are not on the list. This has nothing to do with the NHS, if you want to complain - it's the Government you need to be venting at...
Fluffy
What ever you do, get it sorted one way or another. In 2003, 2004 and 2005 both Imperial and UCL have withdrawn offers for failing to make their immunisation deadlines...

I know it's 'unfair' and a right royal pain in the arse, but would you seriously jeapodise your whole future for £200...

One thing that might be worth trying is moving GP... Failing that, see if Imperials Occupational Health dept will do it for you...

this despite the fact that students will have paltry contact with patients and certainly little with needles or anything until year 3/4.
what a silly bunch of medical schools they are.
i'm told that at most they try to get you to have them before medical school, but have a system set up in the first year of undergrad to sort out those who have not yet been done.
This whole Hep B palava is so ridiculous, it gets me so angry! Is there anything pro-active we could actually *do* about it? Even something a bit lame like a petition?
friendlyneutron
This whole Hep B palava is so ridiculous, it gets me so angry! Is there anything pro-active we could actually *do* about it? Even something a bit lame like a petition?

you could start one at ipetition.com
but i would blame the medschool...
some GP's give them for free! mine did and i haven't even got an offer yet!!!
funny thing is if you said to them 'i'm a prostitute/rent boy and get extra money for doing it with no condom' then they'd be injecting you in a second.

its like the old gay trick to get post exposure meds for HIV - just prick yourself on the hand with a drawing pin then go to the hospital and say you fell over in the park and stuck yourself on an empty syringe.
Reply 14
Robot Chicken
funny thing is if you said to them 'i'm a prostitute/rent boy and get extra money for doing it with no condom' then they'd be injecting you in a second.

its like the old gay trick to get post exposure meds for HIV - just prick yourself on the hand with a drawing pin then go to the hospital and say you fell over in the park and stuck yourself on an empty syringe.

In deedy, but it you want to get life assurance at any time in the future, not really recommended :wink:
Reply 15
This isn't about Hep B vaccination, but my GP charged me 50 pounds to complete the medical form (for UCL) and print out vaccination records!
Reply 16
i now have an appointment at a travel clinic for the hep B vaccination, and it is half the cost the GP would do it for :eek: I still need to get my GP to fill out my vaccination/ health info forms though, hope he doesn't charge for that.
Fluffy
In deedy, but it you want to get life assurance at any time in the future, not really recommended :wink:

ooo, never thought of that!
but then it doesn't matter because in those cases you can then get a test 6 months down the line and if its neg then you can say you never had it.
Reply 18
Robot Chicken
ooo, never thought of that!
but then it doesn't matter because in those cases you can then get a test 6 months down the line and if its neg then you can say you never had it.

Depends if they require release of your medical notes or allow a degree of self certification. I needed life assurance for my HSBC professional studies loan, they requested my medical notes, which was fun! Not!
Fluffy
Depends if they require release of your medical notes or allow a degree of self certification. I needed life assurance for my HSBC professional studies loan, they requested my medical notes, which was fun! Not!

should have gone through barclays.
i gotmyself a 7 grand loan with barely more than proof of my course.

Latest

Trending

Trending