The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

icedout
I'm sorry but that is absolute pretentious b*llocks and if you knew anything about linguistics you wouldn't be saying it. There is no such thing as 'disfiguring' language. It evolves naturally and you can't control it except by choosing the words YOU say.

I fail to see anything remotely pretentious about what I said, I just gave my opinion. I have not studied linguistics so I do not know anything about it. But that has nothing to do with it. Personally, I find vulgar slang words, such as those I cited, disfigure the English language, when you think of the beautiful way in which it can be expressed. Please do not dismiss my opinion as "pretentious *******s" just because you don't happen to agree with it.
Reply 41
to the OP - my thoughts exactly!!! finally, someone who agrees!!!
I know that feeling this way towards your peers doesn't always do much to help you be popular - but let's face it, I'm sure you wouldn't want to be like the 'popular people' anyway :biggrin:
Reply 42
My mates at uni seem to think its ok to call the nottingham locals 'scum,chavs,inbred etc' and i for one get very offended by this,they havent even bothered to make conversation with anyone from nottingham (besides me and a few other local students) and they're making these asumptions :mad:
Reply 43
Would never have thought this thread would turn out this way!! haha.
Reply 44
Clarence
I generally hate 95 percent of my upper sixth. Theyre all a bunch of pretentious re tards.

when i was in sixth form i did too! But prayed that the people at uni would be alot different, which thankfully are in a good way. I had a load of mummy's boy ***** in sixth form. Half of them stayed an extra year or repeateda year for no reason just because they were scared to leave home and go uni. I find it funny thinking half of them are 19 and still turning up for morning registration and i'm here at uni and i know where i'd rather be!
Reply 45
It's mainly the girls i seem to have a problem with but no doubt there are also a few pricks around who seem to want to make everybody's life difficult. All i'm thinking is 2 months left and then i'm off to Scotland!!!!!!
Reply 46
I spit on student scum :biggrin:
:eek: :p:
Reply 47
What happend to old fashioned stone throwing?
Reply 48
Actually one thing that worries me about going to uni is being surrounded by people who annoy me. I seriously hope I can meet some people who are at least a little bit mature! :suith:
Reply 49
Elbow.... me too! I will have to share a flat with 5 other randoms and i am really worried as I myself am easy to get along with, however, i have alot of pet hates!!!
Reply 50
You can but its the students who have had years out that are generally the mature ones, the ones who went straight from 6th form are less so, its only a year but it makes a big difference
Reply 51
Agreed. You're more likely to find people who act like adults if you go on to postgraduate study.
Higgy
Another thing that i have noticed and i dont know if its just nottingham or throughout the country but a number of students seem to hate and detest the local population, and just sling the word chav around like theres no tommorow. If i go out with my mon uni mates i try and keep them away from my uni mates as the two groups just dont mix whereas im sat smack bang in the middle lol

Yeah, on a more general note, I'm a mancunian and I stayed here at manchester uni, and it's so infuriating the amount of times I hear students say 'oh i hate northeners' and 'the manchester accent is so horrible,' etc. Erm why the hell did they choose to come here then! Sigh.
I basically agree with whoever started this ****. i'm a student but students are *****
Reply 54
I think I can relate, when I was in school basically everyone except my mates pissed me right off. They had clue about anything to do with life, they were like living to go to school and look amazin for school then first get pissed when they were like 17 and go on about it for months afterwards and still act like pissed 13 year olds to this day. Ah god really when I see them out now its so annoyin. So basically because all of these people will be going to university its not suprising that the majority of students would piss people off
Reply 55
Hm, is it not possible to do a bit of both? I mean, some nights I'd like a quiet night in an old fashioned pub with a few friends just having a chat about life, current affairs, whatever. Equally, I enjoy going to a random club and drinking a bit too much, taking a lot of silly photographs, making new friends or having a thoroughly good time with old ones.

Yes, particularly immature people get to me sometimes, but it'll completely depend on my mood (and sobriety), I just think it's healthy to have a mix of maturity and random nights of blurriness - but not at other peoples' expense, even in my most wasted states, I'd always try to avoid elbowing people and generally being a prat.

Oh, and the word randomer is perfectly valid :tongue: I've used it for a fair while and heard it while visiting 3 different unis in the past week, doesn't strike me as overly vulgar..
Reply 56
Feef
Hm, is it not possible to do a bit of both? I mean, some nights I'd like a quiet night in an old fashioned pub with a few friends just having a chat about life, current affairs, whatever. Equally, I enjoy going to a random club and drinking a bit too much, taking a lot of silly photographs, making new friends or having a thoroughly good time with old ones.

Yes, particularly immature people get to me sometimes, but it'll completely depend on my mood (and sobriety), I just think it's healthy to have a mix of maturity and random nights of blurriness - but not at other peoples' expense, even in my most wasted states, I'd always try to avoid elbowing people and generally being a prat.

Oh, and the word randomer is perfectly valid :tongue: I've used it for a fair while and heard it while visiting 3 different unis in the past week, doesn't strike me as overly vulgar..

I totally agree :smile:
Reply 57
I don't think anyone's ever said that to me before :P Ta.
You're right Feef, a good mix in your social life helps. I'm guilty of getting incredible peed off with younger students than myself (I'm only 23 though) but I have to be careful not to let it show because I too was an annoying student full of excitement and freedom when I was a fresher.

But students in general (so non-freshers too) are immature by default. Me and my classmates call them rookies. Look at all the final year students; calm, polite, happy with where they are and what they study 24/7. It's a natural progression and if you're in your final years, its perfectly normal to feel that the students behind you can't study properly, are too brash, generally little respect for the lecturers etc etc. Lots of them mature through their degree. I did. :smile:
Reply 59
wendizzle22
Yeah, on a more general note, I'm a mancunian and I stayed here at manchester uni, and it's so infuriating the amount of times I hear students say 'oh i hate northeners' and 'the manchester accent is so horrible,' etc. Erm why the hell did they choose to come here then! Sigh.

Stamp on them hard verbally, solves a lot of problems. Most people have learnt not to criticise the North in front of me :rofl:.

Manchester's "south" to me... silly city with silly expensive prices. It's twice as expensive to go the cinema here as back home :eek:

As to the OP, I can't really relate. Yes, I've met these people too, but they seem to be a small minority of students - most are very interesting people :smile:

I may live "in filth", as you put it, but it's clean filth... only dirt in here is a plate I was using yesterday and forgot to wash up. I'll sort it out when I go make my breakfast. The rest is just my normal living mess... if you had to live your life in a box 2m by 4m (that's WITHOUT furniture), I'm sure you wouldn't be a domestic goddess. My next-door neighbour's compulsively neat, but even her room looks cluttered...

I note you generalise about people "in halls", yet you live at home? Since almost every student lives in halls at some point, that doesn't seem to leave much hope for anyone :confused:

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending