Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat

Being underage at freshers' week

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I only turn 18 in November, which means that - if I actually meet my offer's conditions - I will be 17 at freshers' week. Will this be a problem? Will I be able to drink alcohol and go to night clubs?

Are they, in Newcastle, very strict with IDs?

I heard you get a wristband in the beginning of freshers' week. Do underage people get one in a different colour or something like that?

Thanks in advance!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Newcastle, it's normally not too strict on IDs, but during fresher's week the <18s do get different coloured wristbands
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanfromtheblock)
    I'm at Newcastle, it's normally not too strict on IDs, but during fresher's week the <18s do get different coloured wristbands
    So that means I'll basically miss all the fun?

Do you know what kind of events people under 18 can go during freshers' week, then?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MGA)

Do you know what kind of events people under 18 can go during freshers' week, then?
    there's a lot of day events, they change each year.

I don't actually know how strict they are with wristbands. tbh you'd probably be better off just getting people to go out in Newcastle on some of the freshers nights, a lot of them aren't 'all that'

also, it's important to remember that it's just a week, and you'll have all of your best nights out afterwards, when you have proper friends.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How will they even know you're under 18? They just let everyone in during freshers as long as you have your student card.

If you're really worried I used to use fake id's off t'internet when I was 16 and worked fairly well.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodcarter)
    How will they even know you're under 18? They just let everyone in during freshers as long as you have your student card.

If you're really worried I used to use fake id's off t'internet when I was 16 and worked fairly well.

when I did freshers this year they looked at your wristbands, and the <18s had different ones to everyone else
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    when I did freshers this year they looked at your wristbands, and the <18s had different ones to everyone else
    You'd probably know Newcastle more than me anyway so fair do's
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there's a lot of day events, they change each year.

I don't actually know how strict they are with wristbands. tbh you'd probably be better off just getting people to go out in Newcastle on some of the freshers nights, a lot of them aren't 'all that'

also, it's important to remember that it's just a week, and you'll have all of your best nights out afterwards, when you have proper friends.
    thanks for your help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodcarter)

I heard you need to get those wristbands to get into the events and to get the wristband you need to show your ID, I think.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are very strict in Newcastle now after years of bad press regarding underage drinking. You will get a different colour wristband to the over 18s but there are plenty of day events for the U18s. If you really are desperate, you can try and stitch together the tails of other people's wristbands and make your own! It's worked a few times before, believe me...

Fake IDs don't cut it anymore, your best bet is to try and use someone else's ID who looks similar to you, as someone who works on a bar I don't tend to look too closely at the photo, just the D.O.B.

That said, no harm in trying your luck...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerAnthems)
    They are very strict in Newcastle now after years of bad press regarding underage drinking. You will get a different colour wristband to the over 18s but there are plenty of day events for the U18s. If you really are desperate, you can try and stitch together the tails of other people's wristbands and make your own! It's worked a few times before, believe me...

Fake IDs don't cut it anymore, your best bet is to try and use someone else's ID who looks similar to you, as someone who works on a bar I don't tend to look too closely at the photo, just the D.O.B.

That said, no harm in trying your luck...
    Thank you!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    :sexface:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MGA)

Say you're 18 -> get normal wristband -> have fun. Pretty unlikely you'll get ID'd on freshers week, especially if your all wearing the same freshers t shirts etc.

Disagree with the above comment saying they're very strict with ID's, i don't look particularly old but i hardly ever get ID'd (only in digital, where they ID everyone)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Say you're 18 -> get normal wristband -> have fun. Pretty unlikely you'll get ID'd on freshers week, especially if your all wearing the same freshers t shirts etc.

Disagree with the above comment saying they're very strict with ID's, i don't look particularly old but i hardly ever get ID'd (only in digital, where they ID everyone)
    But I heard that in order to get a normal wristband you have to show your ID...

You don't get ID'd in Newcastle?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    :sexface:
    :smug:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MGA)
    But I heard that in order to get a normal wristband you have to show your ID...

You don't get ID'd in Newcastle?
    When i got mine a couple of years ago, i'm pretty sure i just filled in a form and got given one straight away. You'll get your wristbands off older students so if they ask just say you forgot your id or something, pretty unlikely they'll be strict about it though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    When i got mine a couple of years ago, i'm pretty sure i just filled in a form and got given one straight away. You'll get your wristbands off older students so if they ask just say you forgot your id or something, pretty unlikely they'll be strict about it though.
    That sounds nice

You're talking about Newcastle, right?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy a fake ID off the internet you will most likely just get laughed at and have it confiscated. I suggest you just use a siblings or friends ID who is 18 or over that looks like you. If there is a resemblance then you should be okay. Hope this helped
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just get someone to get you an 18+ band, we were getting everyone them last year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jamie)
    Don't buy a fake ID off the internet you will most likely just get laughed at and have it confiscated. I suggest you just use a siblings or friends ID who is 18 or over that looks like you. If there is a resemblance then you should be okay. Hope this helped
    yes, it did thank you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.