Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

A77 - General Elections Amendment

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to turn into a Grammar Nazi here and point out that I don't think 'MPs' or 'Manifestos' need the apostrophes they've been given.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye... obviously.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye with said changes
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't vote but obviously I'll be paying someone to vote for me :ninja:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    I'm going to turn into a Grammar Nazi here and point out that I don't think 'MPs' or 'Manifestos' need the apostrophes they've been given.
    :fuhrer:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Metrobeans - regarding a wash-up period. Personally I disagree with that idea as personally parties are going to be spending time preparing for the election. I certainly didn't spend my time looking through bills which of course are trying to beat the end of term rush.

A wash-up period can still occur; the new amendment does mean a prime minister could go to you on October 1st and request a dissolution on the 8th October. And announce the starting gun from there. - Likewise; if we reach 1 week to go before automatic dissolution then you can put the reminder forward.
    I don't think it is that distracting to be able to both prepare for an election and vote on bills. Voting is just clicking a button and as you'll have read the bills already, it doesn't require a lot of time on the authors or voters part. As said, we've not had any problems when it's been done in the past.

In practice, Prime Ministers aren't going to give any extra notice than they have to as it isn't in their interests to do so.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as its voting and new discussions aren't going through then it might be okay

A phoney war situation is going to occur regardless of whether a prime minister announces a dissolution early or not; especially as parliaments regularly go for at least five months.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    It should say "The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos in AAM where a member of the moderation team will move the post to Current Affairs and add a secret poll for 7 days with the option for “Spoilt Ballot”.

Should we have a wash-up period? For the previous two sessions, we've allowed stuff to be sent to vote in the week between an election being called and the manifestos being posted, but this would prevent it.

Also, is there an argument to be had for having the election thread in the MHoC forum?
    I'd probably allow the wash-up period, especially with a snap election.

It should definitely be in this forum, turnout varies massively anyway and most comes from the mass PM. Being in this forum would allow voters to check out the bills discussed and potentially be more involved in the new parties that attempt to pop up as they may stand a better chance of being noticed.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've made a few suggestions because the proposed amendment has a few issues with syntax/grammar etc., also I think it could be a bit less wordy without changing the overall meaning.

Additionally I've cheakily removed 11) - never understood why that should be in the Guidance Document given it's a site rule.

Original:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    General Elections
    1) The Speaker is responsible for everything surrounding the HoC elections,
    2) Manifestos are to be submitted to the speaker by the deadline, any received after this time will be accepted at the Speaker's discretion
    3) In a general election a maximum of 16 parties and independents can stand, parties and independents from a previous election will get priority over anyone else. The Speaker again has the discretion to remove people from standing in the general election.
    4) Manifestos submitted must be less than 250 words and may not contain videos or audio clips unless created by a member of the party in question. The Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 250 word mark if they go over.
    i) all words typed or spoken within the manifesto will be counted (this excludes the 20 word tagline).
    ii) videos and audio clips will be removed before textual content is until the word limit is met.
    5) Manifestos can include up to 2 images.
    6) Manifestos are allowed a 20 word tagline.
    7) The duration of an election will be 28 Days,
    Day 0 – Election is announced by the PM or the speaker
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos
    Day 7 – All manifesto’s should have been received by the speaker
    Day 7 – The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos in AAM where a member of the moderation team will move the post to Current Affairs and add a secret poll for 10 days with the option for “Spoilt Ballot”
    Day 17 – Results of the election are announced by the speaker, the speaker will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form coalitions
    Day 24 – Coalitions are announced and Parliament opens
    8) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes and telling people to go and vote.
    9) Independent candidates are allowed to join a party at any point during parliament, in doing so they take their seat with them and bolster the party’s seats. This however will not affect the party in power.
    10) If for any reason a 51st seat is required due to the d’Hondt method of calculations then it is permitted.
    11) All TSR members with more than 150 posts and 3 months experience may vote.

Proposed amendment:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    General Elections
    2) Manifestos are to be submitted to the speaker by the deadline, any received after this time will be accepted at the Speaker's discretion
    3) In a general election a maximum of 16 parties and independents can stand, parties and independents from a previous election will get priority over anyone else. The Speaker again has the discretion to remove people from standing in the general election.
    4) Manifestos submitted must be less than 250 words and may not contain videos or audio clips unless created by a member of the party in question. The Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 250 word mark if they go over.
    i) all words typed or spoken within the manifesto will be counted (this excludes the 20 word tagline).
    ii) videos and audio clips will be removed before textual content is until the word limit is met.
    7) The duration of an election will be 21 Days,
    Day- The Prime Minister holds the authority to announce his/her intention to seek a dissolution on a particular date; as long as parliament does not expire in between.
    Day 0 – Election is called by the Prime Minister or the speaker if parliament has expired.
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos; declare the previous parliament dissolved and shall remove all MP's from the Division Lobby Forum.
    Day 7 – All manifesto’s should have been received by the speaker who shall admit them subject to them meeting the criteria to stand.
    Day 7 – The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos in AAM where a member of the moderation team will move the post to Current Affairs and add a secret poll for 10 days with the option for “Spoilt Ballot”
    Day 14 – Results of the election are declared by the speaker, the speaker will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form any coalitions
    Day 21 – Details of formed coalitions are formally announced by the speaker who invites the leader of the largest coalition/party that fulfills article 6.1 to form a government and nominate a prime minister for appointment. The speaker invites the leader of the second largest party that fulfills article 7.1 to form a shadow ministry.
    Day 21 - The speaker formally declares parliament open and announces details of parliament's expiration date.
    8) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes and telling people to go and vote.
    9) Independent candidates are allowed to join a party at any point during parliament, in doing so they take their seat with them and bolster the party’s seats. This however will not affect the party in power.
    10) If for any reason a 51st seat is required due to the d’Hondt method of calculations then it is permitted.

My suggestions:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    General Elections

7) A prime minister has the option to announce their intention to seek a dissolution on a particular date; provided that parliament does not expire before this date is reached
    8) The duration of an election will be 21 Days,

Day 0 – An election is called by the prime minister, or the speaker if parliament has expired.
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit thair manifestos and also declare the previous parliament dissolved, removing all MPs from the Division Lobby subforum.
    Day 7 – All manifestos should have been received by the speaker who shall admit them subject to their meeting the criteria to be valid.
    Day 7 – The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos in AAM where a member of the moderation team will then move the post to 'Current Affairs' and add a secret poll for 7 days with the option for a “Spoilt Ballot”
    Day 14 – Results of the election are declared by the speaker, the speaker will then inform party leaders that they have 7 days to form any coalitions
    Day 21 – The coalition (or single party) that best meets the requirements of article 6.1 is invited to form the government. The second largest party (external to the governing coalition) is invited to form a shadow ministry.
    Day 21 - The Speaker formally declares parliament open and announces details of the new parliament's expiration date.

9) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes.
    10) Independent candidates are allowed to join a party at any point during parliament, in doing so they take their seat with them and bolster the party’s seats. This however will not affect the party in power.
    11) If for any reason a 51st seat is required due to the d’Hondt method of calculations then it is permitted.
    12) All TSR members with more than 150 posts and 3 months experience may vote.

(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    QFA
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    QFA
    (Original post by Birchington)
    QFA
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    QFA
    (Original post by bun)
    QFA
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    I've made a few suggestions because the proposed amendment has a few issues with syntax/grammar etc., also I think it could be a bit less wordy without changing the overall meaning.

Additionally I've cheakily removed 11) - never understood why that should be in the Guidance Document given it's a site rule.

Original:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    General Elections
    7) The duration of an election will be 28 Days,
    Day 0 – Election is announced by the PM or the speaker
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos
    Day 7 – All manifesto’s should have been received by the speaker
    Day 17 – Results of the election are announced by the speaker, the speaker will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form coalitions
    Day 24 – Coalitions are announced and Parliament opens

Proposed amendment:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    General Elections
    7) The duration of an election will be 21 Days,
    Day- The Prime Minister holds the authority to announce his/her intention to seek a dissolution on a particular date; as long as parliament does not expire in between.
    Day 0 – Election is called by the Prime Minister or the speaker if parliament has expired.
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos; declare the previous parliament dissolved and shall remove all MP's from the Division Lobby Forum.
    Day 7 – All manifesto’s should have been received by the speaker who shall admit them subject to them meeting the criteria to stand.
    Day 14 – Results of the election are declared by the speaker, the speaker will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form any coalitions
    Day 21 – Details of formed coalitions are formally announced by the speaker who invites the leader of the largest coalition/party that fulfills article 6.1 to form a government and nominate a prime minister for appointment. The speaker invites the leader of the second largest party that fulfills article 7.1 to form a shadow ministry.
    Day 21 - The speaker formally declares parliament open and announces details of parliament's expiration date.

My suggestions:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    General Elections

7) A prime minister has the option to announce their intention to seek a dissolution on a particular date; provided that parliament does not expire before this date is reached
    8) The duration of an election will be 21 Days,

Day 0 – An election is called by the prime minister, or the speaker if parliament has expired.
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit thair manifestos and also declare the previous parliament dissolved, removing all MPs from the Division Lobby subforum.
    Day 7 – All manifestos should have been received by the speaker who shall admit them subject to their meeting the criteria to be valid.
    Day 7 – The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos in AAM where a member of the moderation team will then move the post to 'Current Affairs' and add a secret poll for 7 days with the option for a “Spoilt Ballot”
    Day 14 – Results of the election are declared by the speaker, the speaker will then inform party leaders that they have 7 days to form any coalitions
    Day 21 – The coalition (or single party) that best meets the requirements of article 6.1 is invited to form the government. The second largest party (external to the governing coalition) is invited to form a shadow ministry.
    Day 21 - The Speaker formally declares parliament open and announces details of the new parliament's expiration date.

9) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes.
    10) Independent candidates are allowed to join a party at any point during parliament, in doing so they take their seat with them and bolster the party’s seats. This however will not affect the party in power.
    11) If for any reason a 51st seat is required due to the d’Hondt method of calculations then it is permitted.
    12) All TSR members with more than 150 posts and 3 months experience may vote.
    We need to keep 12 in because it prevents people forming accounts to push their vote total up.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    We need to keep 12 in because it prevents people forming accounts to push their vote total up.
    That would happen anyway because it's an automatic part of the site's operation - beyond the MHoC's control. My logic is that if the restriction was eventually removed there'd be a huge increase in turnout so that even if people did try to make dupe accounts they wouldn't be able to have anything more than a slight impact. Also sites are good at preventing massive spam account creation with their IP filters.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    That would happen anyway because it's an automatic part of the site's operation - beyond the MHoC's control. My logic is that if the restriction was eventually removed there'd be a huge increase in turnout so that even if people did try to make dupe accounts they wouldn't be able to have anything more than a slight impact. Also sites are good at preventing massive spam account creation with their IP filters.
    Yeah, but I would oppose the amendment if there wasn't that section in place because it makes that clear and because I think that it will have a massive impact.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    It's not an automatic part of the site's operation. There's a permissions setting which we have which can restrict who is able to vote in polls, so it's set to block members who have been here less than 3 months/150 posts from voting. It should really stay in the GD. People like me, Aaran and Illusionary are familiar with how HoC elections work, but if a new Speaker and mod team were to come in, they might not know that rule and forget to set it.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not an automatic part of the site's operation. There's a permissions setting which we have which can restrict who is able to vote in polls, so it's set to block members who have been here less than 3 months/150 posts from voting. It should really stay in the GD. People like me, Aaran and Illusionary are familiar with how HoC elections work, but if a new Speaker and mod team were to come in, they might not know that rule and forget to set it.
    Oh, so it actually could be changed for, say, next election?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Oh, so it actually could be changed for, say, next election?
    How do you mean? We're limited in the voting restrictions that can be applied. The other restriction options that are available aren't relevant for our purpose, so the one that is used restricts users with less than 3 months/150 posts || neg rep.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you mean? We're limited in the voting restrictions that can be applied. The other restriction options that are available aren't relevant for our purpose, so the one that is used restricts users with less than 3 months/150 posts || neg rep.
    So like you couldn't change the number of posts needed to qualify for voting, or the neg rep aspect either?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    So like you couldn't change the number of posts needed to qualify for voting, or the neg rep aspect either?
    No, unfortunately it's fixed, otherwise we wouldn't have the neg rep aspect.
Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.