Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA AS Philosophy June 2012 exam

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unit 1 and Unit 2, it's coming up in the next 5 weeks or so, is anyone else absolutely s***ing it?

Thing is, I've been getting A's and B's in philosophy pretty much since the start of the year so at first i was feeling okay about it, but I've been reading some threads on here from last year (and the year before) and people got some AWFUL grades for AS and they were also getting A's and B's throughout school too

I mean, I obviously trust my teacher's marking, I think one of them used to mark papers or something...but nonetheless, a lot of people are pretty certain that AQA are dodgy markers when it comes to philosophy and it seems kind of like you're destined to fail in this subject.

How's everyone else feeling about it? Any revision tips or advice in general?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing pretty bad in my school with the past papers; with E's and D's. But then i tested my teacher by literally copying from the mark scheme and text book and I got a C so i'm pretty sure it's just my absent-minded teacher being stingy with grades. Anyway yeah, i'm pretty scared about it. I need to get at least a B because I plan on dropping it so I want to leave on a decent note. The only way i'm revising this at the moment is note taking from my text books. By the way what text book do you use? My teacher has given my class what seems to be the only philosophy text books for AS (3 of them, Authors: Lacewing, Cardinal and then whoever made the official AQA one). I'm really not sure which is the best :/ Teacher is convinced that we must know everything from all 3 but that's pretty stupid considering they are really thick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    I've been doing pretty bad in my school with the past papers; with E's and D's. But then i tested my teacher by literally copying from the mark scheme and text book and I got a C so i'm pretty sure it's just my absent-minded teacher being stingy with grades. Anyway yeah, i'm pretty scared about it. I need to get at least a B because I plan on dropping it so I want to leave on a decent note. The only way i'm revising this at the moment is note taking from my text books. By the way what text book do you use? My teacher has given my class what seems to be the only philosophy text books for AS (3 of them, Authors: Lacewing, Cardinal and then whoever made the official AQA one). I'm really not sure which is the best :/ Teacher is convinced that we must know everything from all 3 but that's pretty stupid considering they are really thick.
    Ah right, if you copied the mark-scheme and they still gave you a C, then yeah, probably just an awful marker :P. I really doubt you need to know everything from all 3 books, especially the AQA textbook which is really confusing and badly worded :/ I don't really use any of the textbooks, luckily i have good teachers, so i just revise from my notes from their lessons. Out of those textbooks though, lacewing is defiantly the best, it's just so easy to read and has everything you need anyway. What topics do you do? like, reason & experience is compulsory, but what else?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok. Yeah AQA pretty much sucks and Cardinal is too long winded with its explanations.

Absolutely hate Reason and Experience and not much of a fan of Free Will and Determinism either.

Knowledge of the External World and Persons are both quite nice and straightforward though

How about you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    Ah ok. Yeah AQA pretty much sucks and Cardinal is too long winded with its explanations.

Absolutely hate Reason and Experience and not much of a fan of Free Will and Determinism either.

Knowledge of the External World and Persons are both quite nice and straightforward though

How about you?

Yeah, I'm doing the same, but instead of Persons, doing "Why Should I be Moral?" which is good but annoying to write about in an essay because it doesn't flow as well as all the other topics, just Plato chatting a load of *******s as per usual.
    Yeah not a massive fan of Reason and Experience either, but was loving it up until conceptual schemes which i just dont get...
    :work: < my life for the next 6 weeks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what were the Jan 2012 Qs on knowledge of the external worlds

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 29, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.