Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression Seriously Affecting Uni

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've had depression for 5 years and its been getting more and more serious. I really cannot motivate myself to do work. I've tried different tricks and techniques but haven't found one that works for me. Uni knows about it and I'm on disability support. Often i can get started on the coursework and get quite far into it then after a certain point I just cannot get myself to do any work. I really don't know what to do to help me get/stay motivated. Any ideas or advice?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    See your GP for a referral to psychological services, or see a uni counsellor. Depression doesn't go away by itself, and there's no shame in asking for support with it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_niarr)
    See your GP for a referral to psychological services, or see a uni counsellor. Depression doesn't go away by itself, and there's no shame in asking for support with it.
    I do have support form the psychological services, its just not a quick fix and meanwhile my grades are suffering.

(Original post by lustina)
    I've had depression for 5 years and its been getting more and more serious. I really cannot motivate myself to do work. I've tried different tricks and techniques but haven't found one that works for me. Uni knows about it and I'm on disability support. Often i can get started on the coursework and get quite far into it then after a certain point I just cannot get myself to do any work. I really don't know what to do to help me get/stay motivated. Any ideas or advice?
    If I can ask you a question; how did you explain this to your university support? I feel I'm in the same boat, however I have no disclosed my feelings to a professional
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If I can ask you a question; how did you explain this to your university support? I feel I'm in the same boat, however I have no disclosed my feelings to a professional

I was diagnosed by my GP and referred to a clinical psychologist. So I contacted disability support and they asked for supporting documents I gave them letters form my GP & clinical psychologist. That started the process.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found with work and depression that doing very small amounts makes it easier. I will only do ten minutes work at a time. I personally have found that if I think I need to do all this work I get daunted and don't start but if I set a tiny amount, I get through work in tiny amounts with many breaks.
    Hope this helps.

In the same position. Was first diagnosed in 2005, felt better for a couple of years and now its become really serious again since i started uni.

I got firsts/high 2:1's in my first term but i didn't manage to hand in any of my essays last term. I've got exams coming up and a 4000 word essay due in soon but i just can't get anything done. I'm almost certainly going to fail the year. :'(
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In the same position. Was first diagnosed in 2005, felt better for a couple of years and now its become really serious again since i started uni.

I got firsts/high 2:1's in my first term but i didn't manage to hand in any of my essays last term. I've got exams coming up and a 4000 word essay due in soon but i just can't get anything done. I'm almost certainly going to fail the year. :'(

No, dont say that! I'm sure there's something that can be done? Suspending? Help from the disability support service? Advice form your personal tutor?

I was diagnosed by my GP and referred to a clinical psychologist. So I contacted disability support and they asked for supporting documents I gave them letters form my GP & clinical psychologist. That started the process.
    What is this disability support thing please? I could apply for it as I've also had depression. I took an interruption of studies this year after it got mega bad and am hoping to go back, any extra support would be great I guess
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Know how you feel, depression has caused my grades to go up and down all over the place. My mood has been erratic for the past several months & now that i'm feeling better again, I feel like i have been left in the ruins trying to repair what has been caused by those awful mood swings i was getting. Basically trying to cram in and rush work, failed a test today and failed one on friday, academically, things are just deteriorating by the day... :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im not yet diagnosed with depression (my gp just dismisses what i say) but I study psychology and this has helped me recognise that how i feel isnt 'normal' and I for all the criteria for being diagnosed with depression. As I have no diagnosis, I have no uni support. Im in my final year now and exams are 2 weeks away, yet I havent been able to attend any lectures and right now cannot even look at the work. Is there any help for exams? As in do some now and complete some in the resit period?

No, dont say that! I'm sure there's something that can be done? Suspending? Help from the disability support service? Advice form your personal tutor?
    I've been offered the chance to suspend my studies several times but that will not do me any good. At least at university i have a good circle of friends in my halls and a job. I don't have any friends at home, my family don't really speak to me and because its a small town its not very likely i'd find another job. If anything, going home will make me feel worse.

I'm going to see my personal tutor at some point this week, but i don't know how helpful that'll be. I know i'm more than capable of getting a first and so does she, its just this dragging me down.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heather_1990)
    Im not yet diagnosed with depression (my gp just dismisses what i say) but I study psychology and this has helped me recognise that how i feel isnt 'normal' and I for all the criteria for being diagnosed with depression. As I have no diagnosis, I have no uni support. Im in my final year now and exams are 2 weeks away, yet I havent been able to attend any lectures and right now cannot even look at the work. Is there any help for exams? As in do some now and complete some in the resit period?
    Sad that your GP dismisses what you say. For me I went in to see the GP on a day when I was feeling particularly down, and also they had been contacted by the counselling service I had been using so it was a bit easier for them to take me seriously. Maybe if you go in to your uni counselling service for drop in(s) and tell them how you feel they might be able to write you a note in support for mitigating circumstances if your GP is not helpful. All the best.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered the chance to suspend my studies several times but that will not do me any good. At least at university i have a good circle of friends in my halls and a job. I don't have any friends at home, my family don't really speak to me and because its a small town its not very likely i'd find another job. If anything, going home will make me feel worse.

I'm going to see my personal tutor at some point this week, but i don't know how helpful that'll be. I know i'm more than capable of getting a first and so does she, its just this dragging me down.
    I understand the feeling of running out of options. I'm in the same position at the moment. I can't do work and I can't suspend for various reasons including financial. So basically all I can do is keep on going and do my best hopefully get a degree which won't be completely useless due to poor grades. How did it go with your tutor?

Join the club.
    I'm my 2nd year facing exams and I'm just about ready to commit suicide. My anxiety and depression is just making things impossible to the point where i cannot think and my mind goes blank. I was on the phone for about 2 hours with m mum talking about my dropping out of uni and committing suicide.

I did everything right this year; i joined societies, pushed myself to talk to people, made some really cool friends, spent hours in the library, attended 99% of all my lectures but the exam stress is just too much to cope with. I've been getting no sleep whatsoever the previous nights meaning that i go to the exam mentally exhausted and my brain is just completely fried that i forget everything.

I've tried mega hard this year to sort myself out but i really dont see the point in carrying on further.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have real problems doing coursework as well (depression). Doing just ten minutes at a time like timeandacrayon says can help, I've also found that talking through the work with someone every once in a while or even just having someone in the room while you're working can help you to stay focussed a bit more.

Do you get mentor support from your uni (I don't personally :rant:)? Could be that having somebody checking up on how you're doing could help you keep going past the point where you get stuck.

I get down sometimes too, I find that doing something positive like going outside or exercising (very good for you neurologically) helps, rather than reminding everyone about how hard my life is because I have depression, which doesn't help your state of mind to be fair.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.