Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jet Lag, how to deal with?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im going to Mexico for a two week holiday with my pal, my pal's girlfriend and my own girlfriend. The plan at the moment is to stay up the day before and sleep on the plane. Would this be a good way to tackle jet lag.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bad idea as there is no guarantee you'll sleep on the plane, unless you take sleeping tablets. There could be a screaming child, you could be sat next to someone who spends the entire time clattering on a keyboard. Or you might just not be able to sleep on the plane. I know some people really struggle with it.

Probably just better to battle through. Unless you want to do sleeping tablets...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you step foot on the plane, set your watch/phone to Mexican time. Try to follow this time, so eat and sleep according to this time. Also drink plenty of water.

Failing that, get drunk the day you turn up. Worked beautifully for me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to sleep on plane but after doing an 'all nighter' I should be pretty tired
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellathecat)
    You really can't count on this, it can be extremely difficult to get sleep on a plane, even if you're tired. It's never very quiet and you have little space. It'll only make you even more tired when you arrive, which is the last thing you want.

I think you should just try to sleep well the night before your flight, and when you get to Mexico you'll be a little tired but you can cope because you don't have sleep deprivation from previous nights (basically you're doing the all nighter then, only it won't be in the night-time local time). Furthermore the excitement you feel because you're finally there means you'll be fully awake. Go to sleep relatively early (I'm talking 9 or 10-ish here) the first night and you'll be fine. This has worked for me so this is what I'd recommend, but obviously there's not just one way of tackling the jet lag.

If you want to try something else, I saw a TV programme about dealing with jet lag and they said you should eat nothing at all during the flight and then when you land eat what the locals are eating at that time, be it lunch, snack or supper.. Supposedly your body would get used to the local time more easily then. I've never tried this but just thought I'd mention it.
    thanks
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steefen)
    I think it's a bad idea as there is no guarantee you'll sleep on the plane, unless you take sleeping tablets. There could be a screaming child, you could be sat next to someone who spends the entire time clattering on a keyboard. Or you might just not be able to sleep on the plane. I know some people really struggle with it.
    Why did you copy and paste someone else's post?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    definitely don't rely on crashing on the plane! go to sleep early and try to sleep as much as possible. also, as soon as you arrive change all the clocks to local time, and stick to it! eat at the new meal times, even if you feel ill on that first day (if you arrive in the evening and don't feel hungry, eat anyway because it's better than waking up in the middle of the night starving) because it definitely helps you adjust quicker. Also, on the first night if you're incredibly tired (like, crashing around dinner time tired) try and stay up until about 10, as it means you'll sleep later in the morning and that'll help you adjust too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Im going to Mexico for a two week holiday with my pal, my pal's girlfriend and my own girlfriend. The plan at the moment is to stay up the day before and sleep on the plane. Would this be a good way to tackle jet lag.
    Why would you do that?

Just go to bed as normal, you'll have plenty of time to catch up on sleep in 2 weeks in Mexico.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can never sleep on planes, I have an all nighter the night before, and I'm so tired, by the time I get on the plane I've already been awake 24 hours. but then adrenaline kicks in with pre-take off excitement, and I just can't sleep sitting up, and planes are so loud etc. I end up being awake for like 40 hours, then having a bit 12 hour sleep when I arrive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I can never sleep on planes, I have an all nighter the night before, and I'm so tired, by the time I get on the plane I've already been awake 24 hours. but then adrenaline kicks in with pre-take off excitement, and I just can't sleep sitting up, and planes are so loud etc. I end up being awake for like 40 hours, then having a bit 12 hour sleep when I arrive.
    Why do you keep doing it then?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Jet lag is mainly due to you throwing out you body clock. Mexico is about 6 hours behind us, so try to account for those extra 6 hours. I'm assuming you are flying during the daytime? This is less of a problem, as you day and night shouldn't overlap too much.

I would try get a good nights sleep the night before and stay awake on the plane. These are the hours you would normally be awake for, then you will have an extra few due to the time different so your day will be longer. Make sure you get a good nights sleep when you land.

The bitch is flying to Bangkok, leave at 10 at night arrive at 3 in the afternoon, how do you account for that. You can stay awake, and if you sleep you are pretty much screwed.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walterwhite123)
    Why would you do that?

Just go to bed as normal, you'll have plenty of time to catch up on sleep in 2 weeks in Mexico.
    I thought it may be a good way to adjust to the time difference
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it may be a good way to adjust to the time difference
    By not sleeping?

Just go to bed quite early on your first night, stay in bed as long as you can and then have a sleep by the pool in the afternoon if you're still tired. Easy.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Jet lag is mainly due to you throwing out you body clock. Mexico is about 6 hours behind us, so try to account for those extra 6 hours. I'm assuming you are flying during the daytime? This is less of a problem, as you day and night shouldn't overlap too much.

I would try get a good nights sleep the night before and stay awake on the plane. These are the hours you would normally be awake for, then you will have an extra few due to the time different so your day will be longer. Make sure you get a good nights sleep when you land.

The bitch is flying to Bangkok, leave at 10 at night arrive at 3 in the afternoon, how do you account for that. You can stay awake, and if you sleep you are pretty much screwed.

Our flights at 9am I think and I think its 10 hours. So I think that means we'll be arriving about 1pm local time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're travelling through many time zones on an incredibly frequent basis, complaining about jet lag or actively going out of your way to do something about it just seems stupid.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    By not sleeping?

Just go to bed quite early on your first night, stay in bed as long as you can and then have a sleep by the pool in the afternoon if you're still tired. Easy.
    The plan was to sleep on the plane
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you keep doing it then?
    I don't do it on purpose - too excited before the flight, leaving meals the night before, always have to leave the house at 2am to get to the airport on time - multiple factors inevitably end up stopping me from sleeping the night before! I always think "MAN I am so tired, I MUST be able to sleep on the plane this time" but never do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The plan was to sleep on the plane
    What if you don't sleep on the plane? It's only a 6 hour difference, is it a beach holiday?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely sleep the night before. Perhaps even a bit more than usual. A six hour time difference is nothing. As long as you're well-rested when you leave and get a decent sleep on your first night you'll be fine. Maybe a bit out of step with the locals but not a tired zombie by any means.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Our flights at 9am I think and I think its 10 hours. So I think that means we'll be arriving about 1pm local time
    If you get up a 9am spend 12 hours in the air, and arrive at 1pm you are adding 6-7 hours to your day.

If you want to avoid jet lag you need to set yourself up so when you land you are in sync with your timezone.

I would get a good nights sleep before to help cover the extra hours and then a good night sleep at the other end to cover the others.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 11, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.