Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible for a teacher to hate a student?

Announcements Posted on

Just wanted to know, because I think one of my teachers intensely despises me. He hides it very well, but I can tell he hates my guts. For instance, in one of the homeworks he marked he scribbled in the corner and was trying to spell "**** you" but scribbled it out. He always chats to other students in my class in a friendly manner, asks them how they were etc and he completely ignores me. I think its because I was rude to him before, but I didn't really mean to. I suffer from severe depression and I'm always in a bad mood at school, which explains why I don't always say hello to him in the mornings and give him dirty looks. And he always puts me down and doesn't do anything when students in my class bully me. I feel sick knowing I have to go to lessons next week.

Do you think he hates me?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was he at school at the same time as - and have a long running feud with - your dad and now teaches you Potions? In which case, yes, very possible.

Teachers are humans. Of course some are going to like some kids more than they're going to like others. They're supposed to be professional about it, but some fail. If you think you're actively being targetted, talk to a teacher you know and get along with, show them these things and see what they say.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Of course they do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just wanted to know, because I think one of my teachers intensely despises me. He hides it very well, but I can tell he hates my guts. For instance, in one of the homeworks he marked he scribbled in the corner and was trying to spell "**** you" but scribbled it out. He always chats to other students in my class in a friendly manner, asks them how they were etc and he completely ignores me. I think its because I was rude to him before, but I didn't really mean to. I suffer from severe depression and I'm always in a bad mood at school, which explains why I don't always say hello to him in the mornings and give him dirty looks. And he always puts me down and doesn't do anything when students in my class bully me. I feel sick knowing I have to go to lessons next week.

Do you think he hates me?
    Yes they can and you'll meet loads of dickheads in life..best start learning to deal with it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever helped out with small children before? Yes, teachers can despise you.

In your case it may be that he dislikes you, as you pointed out this would be due to your own hostile behaviour towards him. He does not know you well or know how your mind works so he has no idea why you may be so...moody with him. Most probably, the reason he does not actively seek out a more positive relationship with you is as he is reacting to how you behave towards him. It works both ways you know. If you want him to be more friendly, you try it first. Ultimately he knows that you will only be in his life a couple of years max as is the case with the rest of his students - think of it that way. One or two more years to go and this academic year is almost over.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Of course they can - everyone dislikes at least one person wherever they work. Teaching is no different. Just try and be pleasant to him where you can, and he'll hopefully do the same.

I feel sick knowing this is true.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes because i was very much the hated pupil
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    course they can
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. Teachers are inhuman automatons who are completely incapable of emotion.

EDIT the first: And once again, my being negged for this demonstrates that it's impossible to post something so stupid on the internet that people realise it must be a joke. The question was obvious, so I gave a sarcastic answer. Deal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Go speak to him like an adult about it.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're human too. Of course they can; and they do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it seems pretty obvious he doesn't like you much- if you feel really concerned about it- talk to your head teacher or someone in a higher position than him and get them to talk to him- buh-lieve me, he'll back off once spoken to.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    :yep: my maths teacher hates me...not fussed because i dislike him too

What should I do? Should I even care?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I remember a teacher once telling me that he had to reward himself daily for avoiding slapping one girl in a class. He had the patience of a saint too.

You probably should care if the relationship degenerates below atleast a working relationship. You don't have to like each other (though it's obviously a better atmosphere than despising) just the same as plenty of adults who work together may, at best, barely tolerate one another.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course! One of my teachers (who incidental I hate) openly bitched about my friend in class while she was absent, I asked him to maintain a degree of professionalism. Now I get B's :/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trying not to be offensive, but are you sure it's not just negative thoughts in your head? I get them often - I'll think someone really despises me, when in actual fact they don't. It does sound like you're not his favourite pupil, but I'd just be sure first.

My advice is to deal with it maturely. Be nice to him, and if it gets too out of hand, consult another teacher. Not exactly the same, but I had a teacher who despised me because my brother had set such a bad reputation in the school that many of the teachers were wary around me because they thought I'd end up the same. He, however, automatically judged me for it. He knew straight away who I was because he looked at my name and realised I looked exactly like my brother. However, I dealt with it maturely by being nice and working hard, and he realised that I wasn't anything like my brother. After that, he became one of my best teachers.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What should I do? Should I even care?
    nope....not everyone can like you mate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Teachers are humans too but it's unprofessional to show it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.