Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible for a teacher to hate a student?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    well kids are little ****s these days... so presumably it is...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The teachers used to gossip about students they dislike the most in my secondary school. So yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What should I do? Should I even care?
    I think you should definitely talk to another teacher, who you do like, about it. When I was in high school I was actively bullied by one of my teachers - she just decided from day 1 that whatever I did (and I'm not a bad student!) that she wouldn't like me. I used to feel awful going to her lessons. One time after one of her classes I burst into tears in my science class; the science teacher talked to me and said that she knew this teacher could be a bit awful sometimes. It was comforting just to know that another teacher knew what was going on and thought it wasn't my fault. Does that make sense? You don't necessarily have to go to another teacher asking them to 'fix' it or do anything about it, but just getting it out in the open might help.

On the other hand, depression can cause you to see the worst. I got myself all tied in knots last term at uni when I thought I'd offended one of my tutors. When he found out I thought this he was completely bewildered as I'd simply been misinterpreting his manner. So - talk to someone, but maybe mention the depression and bear that in mind too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hahh, it's worse when you actually like your teacher a lot and he/she still thinks you're a dick......trusssst
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know, because I think one of my teachers intensely despises me. He hides it very well, but I can tell he hates my guts. For instance, in one of the homeworks he marked he scribbled in the corner and was trying to spell "**** you" but scribbled it out. He always chats to other students in my class in a friendly manner, asks them how they were etc and he completely ignores me. I think its because I was rude to him before, but I didn't really mean to. I suffer from severe depression and I'm always in a bad mood at school, which explains why I don't always say hello to him in the mornings and give him dirty looks. And he always puts me down and doesn't do anything when students in my class bully me. I feel sick knowing I have to go to lessons next week.

Do you think he hates me?
    I don't mean to be rude, but if someone was giving me dirty looks and being rude to me, then I probably wouldn't be too polite back, especially if I didn't know they were depressed. Maybe just explain and apologise to him? He'd probably understand.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Teachers are only human...

I'm currently doing some voluntary stuff in a school, and to be honest the school is actually pretty nice... The kids have a bit of respect for teachers.

From what i've observed;

Teachers are under A LOT of pressure from countless sources. The last few weeks i've been working with teachers who were waiting on potential redundancy letters.... then they to follow a lot of regulations and guidelines such as jotting down every single instance where they have out homework. They spend half the lesson managing the classroom sometimes. They have to work longer for less pension money. They have some pretty tough targets to acheive. And they have to do all of this with limited help from outside sources. Then you have the PGCE students and the volunteers who try their best to patch up everything and teach the kids, but ultimately it is hard work! Many teachers love to teach, but the combined pressures they are under give rise to a less tolerable outlook with kids who, for whatever reason, seem unresponsive. And as a kid with depression you are likely to be seen as unresponsive. Nobody is saying it is your fault, it is just one added pressure the teacher has to manage. Do you have any yuppies working there? Any pgce students or volunteers? Because you'd probably do better with 1 on 1 tutoring and if you ask the school may well have it set up so that people like me could come in and help (we don't have to worry about much other than helping kids to learn).

The teacher is a bit unprofessional in his dealings with you, but I see why he might well be hating with you... It might be one big misunderstanding

A few weeks ago I was helping out a kid with possible ADHD (I don't really check because I just like to help anyone ) and he was initially VERY VERY standoffish with me. I was told that he was capable of a C in maths, but was underperforming. He kept trying to take the piss out of me and initially I though "why the hell am I even trying to help this kid?". Well, I stuck at it and he seemed like a nice lad after a while and genuinely wanted to learn maths. The teacher was absolutely brilliant BUT he had to deal with 15 of the most disruptive pupils in the school... So how would he react in this spot where he has to worry about 15 pupils and when he has a standoffish kid taking the piss out of him? Yea, the kid gets sent to the office and fails maths. So all I can say is that you should take charge of your own learning. Teachers are there to help and unless they are an ******* they will ALWAYS help out a kid who wants it
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have a Catholic philosophy teacher who sneers at his class of atheist majority.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it can be true. My English teacher hates me and never gives me the grades I deserve. I've been getting a* throughout year 10 and year 11 yet she gave me a B for my predicted grade. Anyway my advice is to prove this teacher wrong and show you are a polite
    student who can reach their potential. Be nice even if it means you have to be a teachers pet- the when you leave school u can forget about him.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick knowing this is true.
    If you talk to him after class and open up a bit. Talk about sad stuff, guaranteed he will think twice!

He probably got a bad impression as you said.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    course they can
    * Of course.

Quite lazy.

Did your teachers like you?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a bit of a prick. I'd hate you if I were him too.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick knowing this is true.
    Are you sure you aren't just being paranoid though?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainy_days)
    Sure. Teachers are humans too but it's unprofessional to show it.
    exactly.

i don't know what the evidence base is like in education about this, but the immediate thought I had ,as a Nurse, when seeing the topic was Felicity Stockwell's work from 1972 'The Unpopular Patient'

http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/...1_number_2.pdf

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/00001415.htm
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Teachers should like all students, that should be part of the job description. Same for managers always liking their employees. I hate snobbery. Teachers probably think because they are older than you it means they are better than you. Errrrm, no.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    My geography teacher bitches about me when I'm not there. It's totally unjustified too because I actually try in geography and I'm quiet in class.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Some students are so repulsive, it's difficult to not hate them.

Teachers are really really normal people. If you act negatively towards them (throwing them dirty looks etc) then they will act negatively back. If you did that to someone in your class, would they act friendly with you? No, probably not. I'm a teacher, and even though I'm 5/6 years older than many of the kids, their cutting remarks, and snide comments (which they think I can't hear) hurt. And if someone was staring me down in the mornings, I'd be seriously worried about what I could have done. Treat your teacher like a person, and maybe go to them and tell them whats up to hopefully make them understand a bit better why you are hostile in the mornings.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Teachers are really really normal people. If you act negatively towards them (throwing them dirty looks etc) then they will act negatively back. If you did that to someone in your class, would they act friendly with you? No, probably not. I'm a teacher, and even though I'm 5/6 years older than many of the kids, their cutting remarks, and snide comments (which they think I can't hear) hurt. And if someone was staring me down in the mornings, I'd be seriously worried about what I could have done. Treat your teacher like a person, and maybe go to them and tell them whats up to hopefully make them understand a bit better why you are hostile in the mornings.
    your absolutely right. It is a really tough environment to work in sometimes.

But then again, it is one of the best jobs ever
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    of course they can they wouldnt be human if they didnt, ive had teachers truly hate me in the past so longs they continue doing their job it isnt an issue
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as he isn't marking down your grades to spite you, then it is unfortunately something you'll have to deal with. You could try speaking with him and sort the whole thing out (he may think that you are against him). No teacher should hate a student without reason. Being crabby to a teacher one morning is not a reason to treat the student like crap. If he is nasty to you then report it to the principal or go to your parents for support.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.