Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you die to rescue someone?

Announcements Posted on
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. It's hard to say because I've never been in the position but I know that I wouldn't let them suffer - I will (and do) happily go to great lengths to help those who need rescuing, but I doubt I'd die for them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is this in religion, out of interest?

To actually answer the question, I've never been in the situation so I have no idea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would have no problem taking small risks, including injury - but die? No way.

If I know I would die, then no way.

If it's a risk like rushing out into traffic (I can control my movements here) to drag someone away for instance then yes.

Anyone that says they would die for someone else I think you are lying.

No way in hell I would swim into a tide like is mentioned, that guy is an idiot.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    What does being Christian have to do with it, may I ask.
    Where does it say, you should sacrifice yourself to save another?
    Stop judging his beliefs.

(Original post by Concept186)
    Why is this in religion, out of interest?
    Look at her username, probably associates religion with morals, strongly if not exclusively.

I may or may not. If it was someone I knew I probably would, certainly if it was a young child. If it was someone old or someone that I hated I wouldn't....all in all there are too many variables to accurately answer this question.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Child, yes

Close friends and family, yes.

People I just know, no

Adult strangers or people who've been dicks to me, no
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does being Christian have to do with it, may I ask.
    Where does it say, you should sacrifice yourself to save another?
    Well, Jesus says "There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for a friend". Some may say "Yeah, well it says friend not stranger", but Christianity is all about seeing people as fellow children of God.

I didn't neg you, btw.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Einstein)
    Stop judging his beliefs.

I may or may not. If it was someone I knew I probably would, certainly if it was a young child. If it was someone old or someone that I hated I wouldn't....all in all there are too many variables to accurately answer this question.
    I'm not, i'm muslim and we have more in common than you can imagine.
    I have no idea why you thought I was 'judging' his beliefs. I was just asking how him mentioning he was Christian would impact his decision to sacrifice himself for someone else. Surely that is only for God.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say only if I really cared about them ... but there was a time I tried to jump out of the backseat of the car in the middle of a congested road as this poor old man had fallen down off his cycle....so I probably wouldn't be able to help myself should the situation arise.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ptolemy001)
    Learn to spell and take some advice from your screenname.
    hw du u knw i dnt knw hw 2 speel alredy?
    I no how to right and I no your english is probably worser! :huff:

(Original post by Nephilim)
    Well, Jesus says "There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for a friend". Some may say "Yeah, well it says friend not stranger", but Christianity is all about seeing people as fellow children of God.

I didn't neg you, btw.
    True, it's about a 'community', which was very true many decades ago. But could you say the same about this now? After all the UK is much more secular.

Lol, i don't mind if you do TSR doesn't equal Life.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would probably only die to save my progeny to be perfectly honest.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not, i'm muslim and we have more in common than you can imagine.
    I have no idea why you thought I was 'judging' his beliefs. I was just asking how him mentioning he was Christian would impact his decision to sacrifice himself for someone else. Surely that is only for God.
    Not that post specifically, the fact you are a muslim changes nothing.

You judged here:
    Ohh don't chat **** you liar.
    Why the hell would you save some next mans that you don't even know.
    He had stated his beliefs and you were assuming they were lies because you cannot even begin to contemplate them, thus judging those views are 'incorrect'. I would not mind, but then I read your username.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I did the saving instinctively ,like a reflex reaction yes...If I had time to think about it ..No
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Einstein)
    Not that post specifically, the fact you are a muslim changes nothing.
    You judged here:

He had stated his beliefs and you were assuming they were lies because you cannot even begin to contemplate them, thus judging those views are 'incorrect'. I would not mind, but then I read your username.
    Hmmm, well this is interesting you see. Because to me, and i'm sure to most of the people in my area, would see that statement as a joke.

But TSR is just full of seriously serious individuals

Also, if he felt 'offended' or 'judged' by what I said, i'm sure he would have mentioned this to me, which he did not. So why did you feel the need to 'jump in'?

Why do you assume that my name is a denotation, rather than a connotation?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would die to save my children. I would risk my life to save most everyone else. There are a few I would not lift a finger for, and there is one whose death I would contribute to.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This may sound cynical and heartless, but before choosing whether to die so someone else is saved, I would need to think of the pros and cons of such an action.

Hypothetically speaking, if a man had just found the cure for all cancers and I was with them walking across the road and a car was coming towards them and they could only be saved if I sacrificed myself then I would happily (I use that term loosely in this context) do so.

Conversely, if a man was close to creating an incurable disease and I was with them walking across the road and a car was coming towards them I would just let them get killed.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I had kids and my siblings- definitely.

Close friends- I'd hope so as it takes that little extra to think about it

Bf- most definitely

Mum & Dad- they'd rather their kids lived. My Dad would drown for us for sure and he'd be hearbroken to have his kids die for him to live. My Mum is softer and less proud so I think my Mum'd still sacrifice herself for us but I think we (my siblings and I) would try and save them anyway.

Anyone else? Difficult to say. If I was in a dangerous situation and I was scared I wouldn't risk it for a stranger as I'm a big chicken. But if this happened to my family I'd lose all inhibition and go for it anyway. I've done things I would have never done just because my family were involved. The adrenaline and that fear makes you do crazy things.

Though what I THINK would happen, and what would ACTUALLY happen may well differ under the circumstances.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    While it would be very difficult to stand by and watch someone die, there's no guarantee I could actually save someone from a life threatening situation. I could be throwing away my life and fail to save anyone.

Also, in the above situation I would certainly not have survived: I can't swim so the girl was almost definitely better off without me trying to help
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst knowing for sure I would die, no in almost every case.

I would only do it to save my children (presuming I have some one day).
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would for a close friend or any family.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to say whether or not I would because it's entirely circumstantial.

Why is this in the religion sub-forum?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.