Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Would you die to rescue someone?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okashira)
    He showed His love by taking our punishment, literally. You say such a thing is immoral, yet the moral thing is to punish crime. Our crimes were punished, except Jesus literally took our punishment, literally (I can't emphasize this enough, because Jesus did take our crimes onto Himself, and the crime was punished there)

You say it would be immoral to punish the child for the youth's crimes, only if the crime is not literally transferred onto the child. (With the child comparing to what Jesus did for us, the child willingly took on the punishment for the other youth) Men can't do that, but God has the power to do that. Literally.
    It is not moral to kill your own child because someone stole your TV.

Ultimately, Jesus' righteousness is then transferred to us, and He empowers us to sin no more. If we stumble along the way, those sins are automatically transferred to Christ's sacrifice, and we are still perfect in Him. That is how God dealt with our sin.
    Youths will continue to steal TVs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..lauren)
    It is not moral to kill your own child because someone stole your TV.

Unless it's now the son who stole the tv, and the punishment for stealing the tv is death.

Youths will continue to steal TVs.

If their trust is in themselves and their ability, yes. Yet if their trust is in the new found righteousness they were given, no they won't.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Probably my mother.. and father..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's now the son who stole the tv, and the punishment for stealing the tv is death.
    Your ideas about morality are quite different from my own.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your ideas about morality are quite different from my own.

You missed what I'm saying, but I guess our conversation may be a little off topic. A new thread can made, and we can further discuss this if you wish.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Family definitely.

Anyone else - hard to say to be truly honest. But if I had lived a full life, and could save a child who has a whole life in front of them - I would like to think it would be the right thing to do. But I can't say until the situation passes me by.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You missed what I'm saying, but I guess our conversation may be a little off topic. A new thread can made, and we can further discuss this if you wish.
    Probably quite a bit off topic :P
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would not risk my life for a random person on the street as I do not know what worth they have: if they're a scientist on the verge of discovering a cure for cancer, I would; but if they're a greedy corporate fat cat, then I wouldn't. But since I can't differentiate between strangers (assuming no discourse was made), I wouldn't risk my life for someone else because I will assume my life has more worth. I would risk my life for my friends because they are highly intelligent and I love 'em; I would risk my life for my parents because they can make more 'me' and I love them all to bits.

This may seem like a really cold way of coming to that decision, but I would like to believe I would die to rescue someone else, but I doubt it. If it was my friends or family, it would just be pure instinct to preserve their life.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I was in a situation, my reaction would probably be similar to this:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes , I would die to rescue ANYONE from my family.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I would die for my children if end up having them.

The guy described in the article died of a faulty heart, I don't think he expected to die when he jumped in. I would not hesitate to jump into water after someone since I'm a good swimmer.

At the age of 6 I pulled away by a riptide as my parents sat on the shore watching. They thought I was waving at them to just draw their attention, when in fact I was too tired to fight the current and was screaming for help. A young boy pulled me out and saved my life. I'm eternally grateful to that kid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No chance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would not knowingly die for them but I would take a risk.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. People call me Harry Potter I'm so brave and altruistic with anger problems.

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no religious reasons to my beliefs and I hold my own set of morals (some which a few may strongly disagree with), but ultimately yes I would.

However, I'm afraid I would have conditions on who it was I would be saving if the cost would be my own life. I don't think I would die for a stranger for example, it would have to love them whole heartedly and hold the belief that it was better that they live than die. To be quite honest with you I probably only hold a handful of those people.

(Not to say that my impending death where I had a choice between myself or a friend is realistic) but if there were circumstances that you just don't get in real life (i.e. save fifty kids through your own death) then I would probably be far more likely to let myself die.

However, I simply can't say for sure what I would do having never faced such a situation. Who knows, maybe I'd be an awful person who would value my own life above all others, maybe I'd be totally self sacrificing for the sake of anyone. I (and subsequently you) would just not know until such a demanding event occured (which thankfully is very unlikely).
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely die to rescue my little brother.

I would like to think that I would also die to rescue any young person younger than 10 or so, but it's hard to say without actually being in that situation. If I saw a young child drowning and there were no lifeguards or anybody more fitting to save him/her, I would probably try to. I try to think in terms of utilitarianism... and I think that, seeing as I would be older than them, and have less life left in me anyway, it would be the 'right' thing to do. This would be even more true if, like the man, I was 65.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I value my life more than I value anyone else's. The few people I would die for are a small portion of my family and my boyfriend. Of course none ofthem would ever know I'd die for them because they see me as a cold block of ice. But I would.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah124)
    Yes , I would die to rescue ANYONE from my family.
    I don't think I would for my parents/grandparents/uncles/cousins etc, because they're all a lot older than me.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the situation, depends on the person in danger, depends on my mood and well being. I can not say for sure whether I'll sacrifice my life to a complete stranger. Although the factors present in any given situation will make it either more or less likely that I'll give up my life to save another obviously.

Regarding that man, people don't just sit there and think "this person is in danger, I'll do whatever it takes to save them, even giving up my life". People normally just spring into action in emergency situations without thinking of the consequences, its take action now>thinking about consequences later (if you survive that is). I guarantee if there was a certainty of death much less would take action. And what if you fail to even safe the person in danger and end in dying anyway. So many factors to think of, so little time.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Einstein)
    LOL!
    Why didn't you say, guess I was being to presumptive. Serious mood was brought on by serious thread. Misunderstanding is easy on the internet, I advise you use smileys prolifically.

I jumped in because of the above and the fact I thought you were being hypocritical.
    No don't second guess yourself, she wasn't joking. She thought the guy was a liar so she accussed him, now she's trying to pretend it was just an off the wall joke. I'm guessing you don't know her well enough cause she's perfectly capable of using smilies, if she was joking she would of used them.

Btw I'm not playing devils advocate here, just thought I should let you know.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.