Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you die to rescue someone?

Announcements Posted on
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    I'm not lying. I'm a Christian, and so I have no problem sacrificing my life in order to save another.
    This.

I've thought about this many times. And I think I would sacrifice myself for others.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Self preservation is key to mans survival, life is expendable...unless they are actually someone important but I can't think of anyone that can't be replaced.

Just wait until robotics come into play, they can do the saving.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would catch a bullet for my immediate family, and 2 of my friends only, I wouldn't do it for associates
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    No don't second guess yourself, she wasn't joking. She thought the guy was a liar so she accussed him, now she's trying to pretend it was just an off the wall joke. I'm guessing you don't know her well enough cause she's perfectly capable of using smilies, if she was joking she would of used them.

Btw I'm not playing devils advocate here, just thought I should let you know.
    Ok thankyou. The internet is not the easiest medium to understand on.

Some people aren't worth the time arguing with anyway, their arrogance prevents them from reconciliation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the situation really. i would definately do it to save my family and my close friends, as they are pretty much family to me as well and i know that most of them would do the same for me (there are certain people that i know withouta doubt would die to save/defend/protect me and i would do the same for them). i would also be more inclined to risk my life for a child.

though i dont think anyone knows for sure until they are in that situation. some people who say they would may freeze up or just not be inclined to do it when it comes to it, whereas people who say no they wouldnt could change their mind/instinctually go to help when faced with that situation. also its easy to say you would give your life for another, but its another thing to actually do it. so while i would like to say yes as im a very caring person and would hate to just stand back and let someone die, which i dont think i could do, especially if i know i could of done something to help them, but honestly, unless im in that situation then i honestly couldnt say for sure.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Einstein)
    Ok thankyou. The internet is not the easiest medium to understand on.

Some people aren't worth the time arguing with anyway, their arrogance prevents them from reconciliation.
    Yeah and who really jokes like that anyway:

"Oi you! You're a ******* liar mate! Stop chatting ****!
    *spits on your face and walks away*
    Next day, "oh I was only joking".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Yeah and who really jokes like that anyway:

"Oi you! You're a ******* liar mate! Stop chatting ****!
    *spits on your face and walks away*
    Next day, "oh I was only joking".
    haha, well I'm not the most social of people, and jokey ***** do exist. So misinterpretation especially when not in person is easy for me. lol
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it was someone I loved, yes.
    If not, no.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd die to save a child. I would have lived more of my life than that child so they would have more to gain from life than I would.

In practice however its more about you taking a calculated risk to save someone's life where the chance of you dying is actually less than 100%, but there is of course some chance. Generally I would be prepared to risk my life for most people but in that instance it is very difficult to outright say if I would or I wouldn't. It would depend on how I weigh up the risks with the potential of saving someone's life, in the moment.

Edit: I don't really know what relevance religion has to this but people seem to be bringing it up, so for the record I'm atheist.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okashira)
    He showed His love by taking our punishment, literally. You say such a thing is immoral, yet the moral thing is to punish crime. Our crimes were punished, except Jesus literally took our punishment, literally (I can't emphasize this enough, because Jesus did take our crimes onto Himself, and the crime was punished there)
    Hello Okashira,

I totally agree with you above. Also, one thing that some people forget is that Jesus did not stay dead. Jesus knew that he would be resurrected from the dead, would talk with his apostles/disciples in the flesh, and then would ascend into Heaven, and come back as King of kings someday. So, it's not like a scenario where a person stays dead... being dead for 3 days and then being alive forever more with power is not a bad bargain for Jesus. So, once one factors in Jesus' resurrection and power after his sacrifice, it's not like Jesus received a raw deal, you know?

He's King of kings for a reason.

You say it would be immoral to punish the child for the youth's crimes, only if the crime is not literally transferred onto the child. (With the child comparing to what Jesus did for us, the child willingly took on the punishment for the other youth) Men can't do that, but God has the power to do that. Literally.

Ultimately, Jesus' righteousness is then transferred to us, and He empowers us to sin no more. If we stumble along the way, those sins are automatically transferred to Christ's sacrifice, and we are still perfect in Him. That is how God dealt with our sin.
    I do believe it's important to repent and to keep oneself close to God by praying (and not just routine robotic prayers, but REALLY talking to God and praising Him and seeking Him) and studying His Word and His beautiful Creation, and striving to help others and live in obedience to God. Sometimes it's difficult, and everybody has weaknesses, but God understands. He made us, and yes you're right, He forgives and helps us live for him. If a person falls, they just need to ask God for forgiveness and help to pick himself/herself back up and keep growing!

Peace and God bless you
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    tough question. deffo if its my other half/ family members/ friend/ a child but if it was any1 else i would have to weigh up the risks fast and work out if me trying to help would actuly help that person at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Okashira,

I totally agree with you above. Also, one thing that some people forget is that Jesus did not stay dead. Jesus knew that he would be resurrected from the dead, would talk with his apostles/disciples in the flesh, and then would ascend into Heaven, and come back as King of kings someday. So, it's not like a scenario where a person stays dead... being dead for 3 days and then being alive forever more with power is not a bad bargain for Jesus. So, once one factors in Jesus' resurrection and power after his sacrifice, it's not like Jesus received a raw deal, you know?

He's King of kings for a reason.

If power was the only thing on His mind, He didn't have to become Jesus, which is actually lowering Himself. He was God the Son. If He was only focused on power, He could have just let men perish, and He stay on His throne. Jesus didn't do what He did to receive power, He already had that. He did everything He did, solely for us. (Also, even though Jesus knew He would be raised again, He still prayed earnestly that there might be another way for all men to be saved to His Father. Nonetheless, Jesus did what He did for us, for those that hated Him, and those that will never know Him)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is probably going to sound really bad but no.

I wouldn't risk my life for anybody but my children. For them i would do and give anything! My life is nothing compared to theres, but i dont think i'd risk it for anybody else. I know it sounds really bad but i couldnt miss my children growing up. Im selfish i guess.

I do seriously respect this man though, hes an extremely brave!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okashira)
    If power was the only thing on His mind,

Hello Okashira,

My point was not that Jesus was only seeking power, no. My point is that Jesus didn't stay dead, and he knew beforehand that he wouldn't stay dead.

The reason I am trying to make this point is because I think some people believe that it is immoral or evil or bad of God to send His Son to die. Jesus dying is only a part of the big picture. The rest of the picture includes Jesus rising from the dead and when Jesus comes back!!! God knew this beforehand. So, when God sent Jesus, God did so with the foreknowledge/plan that Jesus would not stay dead but be risen from the dead and come back again someday as the King of kings! That is very important.

He didn't have to become Jesus, which is actually lowering Himself.
    Agreed

He was God the Son. If He was only focused on power, He could have just let men perish, and He stay on His throne.
    Again, my point was to show that Jesus did not stay dead and that Jesus knew before that he died that he would rise from the dead and was coming back as king of kings.

Jesus knew he is King (Messiah - Anointed One on the throne of King David forever). It is not that he was seeking power, but rather that he had it... I apologize if I didn't make this point clear.

Jesus didn't do what He did to receive power, He already had that.
    Agreed
    He did everything He did, solely for us.
    Well, I agree with that. However, when Jesus was praying to the Father, he did say "not my will but your will be done" and experienced stress and a troubled heart. His obeying the will of the Father however, was solely for us in that his purpose of coming was to "seek and to save the lost"

(Also, even though Jesus knew He would be raised again, He still prayed earnestly that there might be another way for all men to be saved to His Father. Nonetheless, Jesus did what He did for us, for those that hated Him, and those that will never know Him)
    100% agreed.

Peace and God bless you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Okashira,

My point was not that Jesus was only seeking power, no. My point is that Jesus didn't stay dead, and he knew beforehand that he wouldn't stay dead.

The reason I am trying to make this point is because I think some people believe that it is immoral or evil or bad of God to send His Son to die. Jesus dying is only a part of the big picture. The rest of the picture includes Jesus rising from the dead and when Jesus comes back!!! God knew this beforehand. So, when God sent Jesus, God did so with the foreknowledge/plan that Jesus would not stay dead but be risen from the dead and come back again someday as the King of kings! That is very important.

Agreed

Again, my point was to show that Jesus did not stay dead and that Jesus knew before that he died that he would rise from the dead and was coming back as king of kings.

Jesus knew he is King (Messiah - Anointed One on the throne of King David forever). It is not that he was seeking power, but rather that he had it... I apologize if I didn't make this point clear.

Agreed

Well, I agree with that. However, when Jesus was praying to the Father, he did say "not my will but your will be done" and experienced stress and a troubled heart. His obeying the will of the Father however, was solely for us in that his purpose of coming was to "seek and to save the lost"

100% agreed.

Peace and God bless you

I see it now I believe we also, letting Jesus' love shine through us, can lay our lives down for others, knowing we will not stay dead. In fact, those in Christ don't die, we fall asleep.

I love your points. It's really getting me to see things in a new light.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it would probably be a split second decision and i wouldn't even think of the dying part, just that it's within my temporary power to rescue someone
    long term decision, yes because i couldn't live with myself knowing that someone could have lived had i acted
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm not that brave. Even if sometimes I think I'd be better off dead, my will to live is too strong and that's that.

However if my closest friend were in danger, I would die for her in a heartbeat because she is one of the major reasons my life is worth living. Were she to die the grief would kill me, because nothing else could ever fill that void. So I'd die - she might overcome it or not, but either way, I would rather die, not even in a selfless way.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    In general, no. I'm human just as much as they are. There's no reason why it's better for them to live than for me to live. It's sensible to sacrifice a less valuable thing to save a more valuable thing. But we're both equally "valuable", I'd like to think.

Though in special circumstances e.g. if I knew I had a terminal illness with only a year to live, and I had the chance to rescue a child who had their whole life ahead of them, then yes, maybe I would (if I didn't chicken out).
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    1 - This has nothing at all to do with religion so I have no idea why that is being discussed here.

2 - Honestly - I really don't know. I am trained in first aid and lifesaving, and was a qualified lifeguard (although never worked as one), and the very first thing we are taught is that our safety is paramount. Even in lifeguarding, where you have a legal duty of care, if your safety is in danger then you don't do anything until it is safe for you. But at the same time, knowing that I am trained in those skills, and knowing that I can actually make a difference (or at least try to), I don't know if I would stop and think about safety. A lot of the time, in those situations, a persons actions are very much fight or flight / impulse decisions. There often isn't the time to think about your own safety and such.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    For my immediate family, yes. Anyone else, no.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.