Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

help! weight-gaining exercise beginner

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I'm 18, 5.7ft,50kg ,as you can probably see,I'm SKINNY.
    I really want to change this situation,so I'll start doing some exercise along with eating lots of food to gain weight.
    As a beginner,I have no idea what I should do.I'll probably go to a gym.But how shall I start? weight lifting?dumbbells?What kilogram should I start with?How long should I do it?
    Does jogging help?
    thanks for your replies in advance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) Google starting strength
    2) Download/Buy the book
    3) Follow it
    4) It works

Start from just the bar and work your way up, if you follow it as it's written, you will be lifting amounts you didnt think you could within a few months, and gain a lot of weight

I'm 17, 5ft9 and was 60kg. Now, 4 months later, i'm 70kg (of course some of it is fat).

The book covers diet briefly, basically, eat more protein rich food, eat until you cant eat any more, THEN drink 2 glasses of milk after each meal and before you go to sleep, once you've kept this up for a few weeks you wont even have to think about eating more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyLiang)
    Hey guys
    I really want to change this situation,so I'll start doing some exercise along with eating lots of food to gain weight.
    As a beginner,I have no idea what I should do.I'll probably go to a gym.But how shall I start? weight lifting?dumbbells?What kilogram should I start with?How long should I do it?
    Does jogging help?
    Same I'm 16, 6ft, and 52kg, and im very skinny :/

I keep stuffing my face with mostly junk, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere, I've become very lazy in an effort to gain weight, so I hardly do any exercise. Haven't played football for nearly a year o.O
    I dunno whether this is linked but i find it difficult to concentrate and apply myself to a task :confused:
    I don't really want to hit the gym just yet, is there a way around all of this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don' stress too much.
    Start off my knowing your limits and track them closely.
    Remember to mix things up, doing the same exercises over and over again will lead to fewer gains, variety is the spice of life (both reps and exercises).
    And push hard. If you're not wobbling out of the gym you're not going hard enough. You need to break muscle fibres for them to reform stronger
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    1) Google starting strength
    2) Download/Buy the book
    3) Follow it
    4) It works

Start from just the bar and work your way up, if you follow it as it's written, you will be lifting amounts you didnt think you could within a few months, and gain a lot of weight

I'm 17, 5ft9 and was 60kg. Now, 4 months later, i'm 70kg (of course some of it is fat).

The book covers diet briefly, basically, eat more protein rich food, eat until you cant eat any more, THEN drink 2 glasses of milk after each meal and before you go to sleep, once you've kept this up for a few weeks you wont even have to think about eating more.
    Very many thanks! I'd search and download PDF format online.Hope it works on me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassaniqbal99)

I keep stuffing my face with mostly junk, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere, I've become very lazy in an effort to gain weight, so I hardly do any exercise. Haven't played football for nearly a year o.O
    I dunno whether this is linked but i find it difficult to concentrate and apply myself to a task :confused:
    So do I.I eat loads of snacks but they have zero efforts.
    Well,I didn't realise how important exercise is until I read an article from a successful weight-gainer.Actually,I am lazy too,always sitting in front of the computer.
    I think I have to gather braveness to go to gym as I'm afraid that I'm skinny.However,weight-lifting at home could also be okay but I prefer the atmosphere at gym and membership card costs me a great deal of money so I don't think I'm gonna waste it.Anyway,no matter how less effort it has and how hard it goes,I'd give it a go cuz this slim and weak body upsets me all the time!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_K123)
    Don' stress too much.
    Remember to mix things up, doing the same exercises over and over again will lead to fewer gains, variety is the spice of life (both reps and exercises).
    And push hard. If you're not wobbling out of the gym you're not going hard enough. You need to break muscle fibres for them to reform stronger
    Thanks mate!I'd bear them in mind.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So do I.I eat loads of snacks but they have zero efforts.
    Well,I didn't realise how important exercise is until I read an article from a successful weight-gainer.Actually,I am lazy too,always sitting in front of the computer.
    I think I have to gather braveness to go to gym as I'm afraid that I'm skinny.However,weight-lifting at home could also be okay but I prefer the atmosphere at gym and membership card costs me a great deal of money so I don't think I'm gonna waste it.Anyway,no matter how less effort it has and how hard it goes,I'd give it a go cuz this slim and weak body upsets me all the time!
    Sumo wrestlers only eat one meal a day. Snacking on protein stuff can be good but if you want weight (not muscle so much, just weight) then overloading on one meal a day will make a difference
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don' stress too much.
    i would disagree with variety, just adding weight every session is enough
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    i would disagree with variety, just adding weight every session is enough
    It will improve but you gains get less and less. Doing 3x10 or 5x5 3 times a week for months will lead to less gains than doing 4 weeks of that and then a week of something else. Just look at how pro athletes train.
    It's like running, you don;t just run the same distance each time trying to go faster and faster
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will improve but you gains get less and less. Doing 3x10 or 5x5 3 times a week for months will lead to less gains than doing 4 weeks of that and then a week of something else. Just look at how pro athletes train.
    It's like running, you don;t just run the same distance each time trying to go faster and faster
    Why would what a pro athlete does tell us anything about how someone new to the weight room should do?

OP - get stronger and eat lots. SS is a routine you can't **** up, and is therefore good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're pro athletes, their gains are minimal when they train, OP has never lifted a barbell so his gains should be consistant for a few months at the very least.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassaniqbal99)

Hey guys
    Does jogging help?
    Step one: Join gym that has free weights facilitiesi including at least 2 olympic bars, a squat stand or power rack, and a bench. Lots of plates helps too.

Step Two: Research starting strength or stronglifts 5x5, learn the lifts, the routine and the reasoning behind it.

Step Three: Do said routine.

Step Four:
    Eat big, eat properly. Don't stuff yourself with junk, stuff yourself with lean meats, complex carbs, lots of veg, dairy, proteins, good fats.

Step five: Repeat ad infinitum.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 11, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.