The Student Room Group

OCR B F334 - Chemistry of Materials - 19th June 2012

Hey everybody,

Thought I'd make this thread for all who are taking the F334 exam in June to share revisions tips, notes and ask questions/ for help!!
At my college we do both A2 papers in June, but I managed to let my teachers let me take F334 in Jan. I got a C -_- :redface: with lack of revision, so I've decided to re-take it this summer and work harder!! :biggrin:

Feel free to discuss the topics and so on!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*subscribes* :biggrin:
i've started making notes for this exam..kind of..but thread of life module is just sooo arggghh even though it is pretty straight forward :s
Reply 3
does anyone have the jan 2012 f334 paper? :smile:
Benzene-1,4-dicarboxyilc acid and ethane-1,2-diol react to form a polymer called PET.

What is the general name for the type of polymer formed? Explain your answer.

My answer: polyester BUT correct answer is a condensation polymer

Would polyester still be correct in the exam? Or is it completely wrong :confused:
Original post by Princess Kawaii
Benzene-1,4-dicarboxyilc acid and ethane-1,2-diol react to form a polymer called PET.

Would polyester still be correct in the exam? Or is it completely wrong :confused:

Which paper is this !? I thought polyester sounds right too.
Reply 6
Original post by blingmonkeys

Hey, by "type" it would be asking for either Addition or Condensation. Polyester is the general name OF the polymer. That's what I think anyway :s-smilie:
Original post by blingmonkeys

This was from the Salters Revision guide pg 3.
Haven't looked through all papers yet so wouldn't know if it came up in one.
Anyone up for asking each other questions on each of the modules?
Let me know/quote me :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Princess Kawaii

By type I think they're just testing whether you know the difference between addition/condensation polymers. Because a small molecule is lost the type of polymer formed is a condensation polymer.

...still can't believe i'm resitting this paper. Looked at the grade boundaries for the Jan 12 paper and it seems I needed to have dropped about 40 marks to get a C. :colonhash: Honestly don't know why it went so badly for me, I redid the paper today without any revision ( I've been revising chem by design) and I dropped about 20 marks doing it harshly, argh should have got the paper sent back to see where I went wrong :angry:
got a u in january for this, need to atleast get a C.!
Reply 11
I made a Mediafire folder for all the past papers and mark schemes including Jan 12 for F334 and F335. Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qylj8ljevsks6
Original post by icedragon
I made a Mediafire folder for all the past papers and mark schemes including Jan 12 for F334 and F335. Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qylj8ljevsks6

thanks so much for this! our college will only let us have f335 papers up until january 11 for some reason :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by jamsie555
thanks so much for this! our college will only let us have f335 papers up until january 11 for some reason :s-smilie:

Not a problem :smile:
Original post by jamsie555

They'd probably use June 11 and Jan 12 as mocks for you
ive done two past papers and got decent marks, but the U in january is just haunting me over doing this paper, i dont really know how else to revise,
Reply 16
Original post by Stryder402
ive done two past papers and got decent marks, but the U in january is just haunting me over doing this paper, i dont really know how else to revise,

examiners notes on each question are good
hi everyone, did anybody do the january f334 paper? i found it horrendous and got a c in it :/ really need an A to get into medical school :frown: i felt like it didn't fit the pattern of past papers, does anyone have these feelings or is it just me?!
Reply 18
Original post by swimming002
hi everyone, did anybody do the january f334 paper? i found it horrendous and got a c in it :/ really need an A to get into medical school :frown: i felt like it didn't fit the pattern of past papers, does anyone have these feelings or is it just me?!

It was a horrendous paper, really threw me! Well done of the medschool offer, share any tips? I really want to get an A in chemistry!!
Original post by hash007
It was a horrendous paper, really threw me! Well done of the medschool offer, share any tips? I really want to get an A in chemistry!!

i heard that there were new examiners last time and i think it was the general pattern across the country that the paper was rubbish! I'm hoping they will compensate with the june paper! are you in year 13? I really want an A too, last year i pretty much memorised the revision guide and got an A overall but I've found doing past papers over and over again definitely helps. even if you have seen it a hundred times just do it again! questions, questions, questions! oh and thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending