The Student Room Group

Why can't I get a job?!

Scroll to see replies

Two major reasons. The first is that nowhere has the same amount of staff that they did 5 years ago, so places are understaffed. This means a lot less job openings. The second is that there's way more competition for those jobs. You are up against people like me who have their degrees and years of retail experience. There are also far less proper jobs going and not much point in pursuing masters etc. In sectors that are not hiring so a lot more people going for retail.

Employers don't care about your academic record, beyond an ability to speak perfect English and have an understanding of maths. Its just not relevant in retail.
Reply 21
It's not at all easy to get a job. I've been quite lucky and managed to get a Christmas Temp job at M&S but the thing is, when you are a temp, they treat you so badly, you really are the lowest on the food chain so to speak.
After that It was a good 8 months before I was able to get another job, and that was after countless interviews but I now work at Sainsbury's and I have to say, this close to A Level exams it's not doing me any favours working 14 hours a week ontop of revising and attending Sixth Form!
I would wait until you have finished your exams to be honest and make sure that your CV is up to scratch because you've really got to stand out from the crowd. Just keep trying and don't get down when you get knocked back, just take it as an experience and count the fact that at least you are trying to get a job :smile:
How do I do that? I'm 19 with 0 gcses, got rejected by college and 0 hours work experience, no skills or talents and no interests
Reply 23
Yo i thought i was the only one now it be six mouths since i start looking for job and i haven't get one until now. I think i am unlucky person too
Original post by sarahcatherine1994
I will do practically any job, work anywhere for a bit of money because im not a lazy person who sits and moans 'I cant get a job' but doesnt try..

any job?
Original post by sarahcatherine1994
I worked in a local hair salon for 3 months but because one of the sylists left and opened her own salon, they had to get rid of me because they werent having enough clients to pay my wage weekly. The owner of the salon was horrible to me, she nearly had police involved when she assaulted the lass whose job I got. She said 'oh i'll give you a reference' but I was only there for 3 months. But to be honest I dont think she liked me so I doubt she would actually give me a reference. I left in Spetember and its april and still havent got one so it doesnt look impressive does it?

Isn’t that called being made redundant? I’m pretty sure that if that is want happened she is not allowed to say she fired you, also im probably wrong but you might get some compensation for being made redundant, do some research, go in and make a fuss. Dumb violent people are more likely to give in if you throw some fancy words at her and you might get a pretty penny... or at least a funny story and some experience on how to formally complain - which may be important to protect your workers rights at some point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending