The Student Room Group

Where is the best beer from?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by py0alb
As a german, what do you think of British beer? As a separate question, what do you think of serving beer warm?

As a German I'm regularly lynched by my fellow countrymen as I do not like any kind of beer at all, neither German nor Czech, French, Belgium etc. I have never tried British beer so I might like it, but the probability is rather low ... :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by mikeyd85
Same. So, so many really great breweries around Yorkshire too. My staple ale is Fursty Ferret.

I just refuse to drink any beer that features a deliberate misspelling.
Reply 42
I'm more into stouts and bitters than lagers or IPAs, so I fall more into the UK category, but then I haven't been exposed to nearly as much foreign beer, so I'm not exactly a fair judge.
Reply 43
Hard one to answer as a lot of different kinds of beer to choose from, for your Ales I'd probably say the UK. For Lager, the Czech Republic, but who doesn't love a nice German beer...So many choices!
You can't beat an ice cold San Miguel (Philippines) when you're sunbathing on the beach. And a pint or two of Cobra (India) with a vindaloo :wink: Brazilian beers are up there too, Brahma being my favourite
Original post by MissCellaneous94
You can't beat an ice cold San Miguel (Philippines) when you're sunbathing on the beach. And a pint or two of Cobra (India) with a vindaloo :wink: Brazilian beers are up there too, Brahma being my favourite

mmmmmm cobra is good.

A bit of south German Franziskaner Weissbier never did anybody any harm, did it?

Nor did any north German Astra!

German beer is the best.
Reply 47
Original post by Dux_Helvetica

A bit of south German Franziskaner Weissbier never did anybody any harm, did it?

Nor did any north German Astra!

German beer is the best.

What's that like then?
Reply 48
Original post by Sir Fox
Germany, I suppose. Very broad variety and tradition (many Bavarian breweries exist since the late middle ages I think )plus the Reinheitsgebot.

Do you have German connections and/or have you never been to Belgium?
Reply 49
Original post by py0alb
I think Germany probably has the best variety. I'm trying to get through all the different styles but some of them are quite hard to come by.

Belgians do the best abbeys, dubbels, trippels, witbiers and lambics, Every beer is slightly different.

Czech does the best lager.

USA has been a serious force in IPAs for a decade or so now, and the UK is definitely up and coming at the moment, however both are still sullied by the difficultly of getting a decent beer in the majority of pubs. The UK is the worst at this.

Belgians also do the best Saisons and their 'Scotch Ales' knock the pants of UK equivalents.

Can you recommend a decent brown/dark German beer? I might lack education in the variety they have but thought almost everything was largered.
Original post by py0alb
What's that like then?

Weissbiers replace much of the barley conventionally used for beers with wheat instead. The resulting taste differs depending on what type (there are some that are more stout-like than others) and what brand of Weissbier one gets.

Astra is a lager, and like many other north German beers has a hint of a herbal taste as well. It is rather strong (6%) but the bottle is stout so it ends up being the same quantity of alcohol as a normal bottle of beer.
Reply 51
Original post by Quady
Do you have German connections and/or have you never been to Belgium?

I am German and as my family owns a vacation home at the Belgium shore, I have been to Belgium like 30 times or so :biggrin: So yes and no. But as I stated before, I do not like beer at all and therefore judged according to the opinions of the people around me and background knowledge about traditions and history.
Reply 52
Original post by Quady
Belgians also do the best Saisons and their 'Scotch Ales' knock the pants of UK equivalents.

Can you recommend a decent brown/dark German beer? I might lack education in the variety they have but thought almost everything was largered.

I had a bamberg braunbier the other day which was very nice.

Most beer in germany does tend to be lagered, but that doesn't necessarily mean its not still excellent. Have you tried Kostritzer/Kaiserdom, both of which are favourites of mine. There are also several excellent dunkels and dunkelweisses, the names of which I cannot remember but will almost certainly be named after towns in the south of the country.
Original post by scherzi
Czech beer is the best I've had. Ridiculously cheap too, was something like 30p a pint (still sounds ridiculous, I'm wondering if I remember correctly) - in Prague

When was this? I was in Prague 3 years ago and it was nowhere near 30p.
Original post by Barden
USA? Really?

Yes really. Some of my favourite beers are from the U.S.
Original post by Maxffm
I genuinely don't think there is a single good American Beer... not even vaguely good... they're all terrible

Blue Moon, Sam Adams, Anchor.

There's 3 for you.
Reply 56
Every country has some great beers and crap beers.

But on overall I'd say Belgium and Germany has the best ones, though England isn't that far behind.

USA has lots of microbreweries that would give the best of what any country in Europe could offer, it's just that these are low volume and don't make it nationally or internationally, many of which are brewed in accordance with the German beer purity laws.
Original post by py0alb
That last point is a good one (also applies to food). Although the UK may not be the best brewer in the world (although its right up there), it is easy to get good foreign beer.

Any microbreweries and microbrewed beers that you would particularly recommend?
I tend to drink either traditional British ales or European beers rather than microbrews. If you happen to be in the south I heartily recommend these guys though: http://www.zerodegrees.co.uk/beer.html. Brewdog also produce some very good bottled beers.
Original post by py0alb
I just refuse to drink any beer that features a deliberate misspelling.

Gutted you. You're missing out on a fair few decent beers there.
Reply 59
Original post by MancStudent098
I tend to drink either traditional British ales or European beers rather than microbrews. If you happen to be in the south I heartily recommend these guys though: http://www.zerodegrees.co.uk/beer.html. Brewdog also produce some very good bottled beers.

Oh yeah those guys look awesome. I like how their standard range basically covers my favourite four beer types. golden, brown, black and white.

If I had £400 to spare I would buy a 50L keg of each and have a party. :drool:

Quick Reply

Latest