Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What habbits have you got while driving?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sit on my left hand all the time, and go into "autopilot" if I'm doing a journey I do quite often - generally it involves me completely missing the turn off for the road I live on!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    When turning I tend to use the palm of my hand to turn the wheel. And then when straightening up again I just let the wheel slide back through my hands instead of feeding it back through like the instructors always used to moan about
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tend to drift off in the middle of a conversation if something happens on the road which I need to concentrate on. I guess that's a good thing for driving but it annoys my passengers!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine are smoking and eating and drinking (non alcoholic, i'm not stupid)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I look too much at the car behind especially if they are really close to me!

Also getting too distracted changing the radio channel -.-
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Walters)
    You know 99.9% of people on this forum have no idea what that means! Also why not a set of ITB`s such as the jenvey`s? these fit into the dcoe flange.
    Well I'm sure if they're interested enough they'll look it up.

I can't fit DCOE's to my car. If I did I'd want 4 of them and they wouldn't fit under the bonnet!
    A 500cfm 4 barrel is more than sufficient for my application. Actually, if anything, it's probably over-carb'd. One day I'll have to slot a 4.6 underneath it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Actually, if anything, it's probably over-carb'd. One day I'll have to slot a 4.6 underneath it.
    You have the same slightly backwards thinking that i doo! Excellent!

Thinking about this more logically with the wave tuning on that engine (Rover v8 i can only presume) ITB`s may not be the most logical way to go. However there is no reason why you couldnt fuel inject it.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really many bad habits although excessive filtering on the bike is the only thing. Even if there's only one car at a set of traffic lights i will squeeze past to be at the front. It's where i belong...

(Original post by JC.)
    Well I'm sure if they're interested enough they'll look it up.

Guys, try to keep this thread on topic a bit please.

General discussion can go into the Motoring society thread.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=102242
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably the 'autopilot' mode driving is the worst. Turning up at a destination like wtf when did I get here. Drive with one hand at the top of the steering wheel a lot as well :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Steering with my knees on long stretches.

Winding the steering wheel with one hand (never use two)

Never check the mirrors I just look over my shoulder, I can see everything I'd see in the mirrors and more.

I swear a lot. And sing to the music.

Thats just all involuntary stuff.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Thinking about this more logically with the wave tuning on that engine (Rover v8 i can only presume) ITB`s may not be the most logical way to go. However there is no reason why you couldnt fuel inject it.
    FI is out without a different bonnet too. The air filter touches the bonnet now and I've got a modified low rise carb base to make the filter base sit even lower and the thinest 14" air filter avaliable @ 2" tall! You can get bulge bonnets to go FI as fitted to the really rare '95 - '97 MG RV8 roadsters, but for my simple mind I'm happy to stick with a carb. I'm still on a steep learning curve with the 4 barrel - I've got 6 jets to worry about with that compared to the singles I was used to when she was running on twin SU HIF6 carbs.

(Original post by Motorbiker)

Guys, try to keep this thread on topic a bit please.
    What, like every other thread on this forum? :mad:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I often end up tap-dancing when waiting at traffic lights or in general for a long time! Just tend to use the handbrake, put the car in neutral, and let my feet have a little tap dance
    I have actually passed yet though, I asked my instructor if I'd get told off for tap-dancing during my driving test, she just looked at me weirdly!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDavies93)
    Road rage. When people pull out in front of me and don't put their foot down I shout at them.
    Ha I also get bad road rage, especially when people drive well below the speed limit in front of me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erobinson15)
    Ha I also get bad road rage, especially when people drive well below the speed limit in front of me
    Exactly. I'm such a calm and happy person usually, but other drivers bring out the worst in me!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I only passed my test yesterday. Throughout my lessons and driving my car home today, I noticed that I look at cows/horses/sheep in surrounding fields excessively as I'm used to just being able to as a passenger.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Driving with just my right hand while resting my left on my lap... Singing along to the radio at full blast (with the windows open), changing radio station... Swearing at other drivers who are either going too slow in front or are just generally annoying me- I get road rage lol... And I've also got into the bad habit of ignoring my speed. Am quite glad I'm not the only one who goes into autopilot when I'm driving though even if it is quite a dangerous habit to get into

I passed my test 4 years ago and defo wouldn't pass if I had to take it again now lol
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlasgowRangers)
    Sometimes I forget what gear I'm in too and I'll have to look down lol..
    Same.

I tend to hug the curb a little too much.

<3 x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too many lol, but I've covered about 20,000 miles since i started driving just over 3 years ago.

When stuck in slow moving traffic or on boring stretches of dual-carriageway I always seem to prop my head up with my right hand, with my index finger resting on my lips. Seen quite a lot of other drivers, mostly male do it too.

When using my sat nav I always seem to programme it whilst driving instead of before I start my journey, mostly because it's bloody annoying during the first half of a journey when I know where I am, I only usually need it for the area around my destination if it's an unfamiliar area. Getting the address usually involves me finding it in an email or text on my phone too.

I left foot brake, and heel-toe downshift when I drove a manual (also used to sometimes change without the clutch), now its just left foot braking.

I do the whole eating and drinking whilst driving, hamburgers can be really messy.

I don't like it when road users can't follow the rules and drive in the middle or right hand lane when not overtaking, I'll flash them and if they refuse to move over I'll usually undertake if its clear to do so.

If behind me pisses me off like tail-gating I'll usually give them a couple o' flashes of the foglights, if not just slow down.

When making wide arc turns I'll use the heel of my hand, but most the time I'll stick to the 10 to 2 wheel position, do cross arms sometimes though.

Another bad habit is keeping my hand on the gear stick after changing gear (i've got an annoying semi-auto atm and it will drop back to 3rd if I go under 29mph or something. Really annoying when I'm trying to save fuel and the car in front is slowing down unacceptability.

Been known to have napped at traffic lights before :eek:
    the worst tired related issue was almost drifting off driving down a narrow Swiss mountain pass, with a rock face on one side and a steep drop on the other.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    When turning I tend to use the palm of my hand to turn the wheel. And then when straightening up again I just let the wheel slide back through my hands instead of feeding it back through like the instructors always used to moan about
    Yes! I know a lot of people do this but I highlight in conversation with my friends about how my instructor would kill me for doing it haha
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tend to enter auto pilot too. Pretty much my whole life is one big auto pilot. I don't really think all that much, as it seems my whole brain is powered by my sub conscience 100% of the time. Even whilst at work.

I tend to stick in 1st and second gear for far too long. Not enough to hit the limiter, but enough that I've been known to be in second doing 30mph, before switching up to third. The power in my car is in the second gear.

I tend to power start off the line of lights. I don't bother finding the biting point. I just lift off the clutch and accelerate. Enough sometimes that if I want to get a good start off, it certainly does. I have gotten wheel spins a few times, though only ever so slightly.

I sometimes occassionaly let the wheel spin under my hands slightly.

I do change tracks on my mobile at lights, as it is plugged into my tape player HAHA. I'm still usually the first one off

A few times on round abouts I've been turning, and the cars gone into a slight slide where I can feel the traction going. Still control it though fine.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.