Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Report from the Foreign Secretary

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would like to ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, does he intend to contact the other MUN Reps about his plans?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    I would like to ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, does he intend to contact the other MUN Reps about his plans?
    A Position Paper will be published within the next few days in the MUN for all representatives to thoroughly examine.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    A Position Paper will be published within the next few days in the MUN for all representatives to thoroughly examine.
    The EU does not have voting rights but I look forward to the Position Paper
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    This Government is not seeking full withdrawal from the EU. This Government is seeking to repatriate some powers back and will only do so with the consent of this House via votes on treaties. I am committed to engaging with the democratic processes of this House with regards to the repatriation of powers.
    You talk as though such 'repatriation of powers' will not be objected to by the EU. I have no problems with renegotiation within the EU, nor reform of the EU, but by threatening to put forward legislation which causes EU law to become subservient to UK law would be a step to far, and is likely to cause our removal from the EU, whether through the significant legal and political differences it will cause, or simply because it will be one instance of UK intransigence too many, and the EU will get as sick of it as those of us with more moderate positions on the EU within the UK.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    You talk as though such 'repatriation of powers' will not be objected to by the EU. I have no problems with renegotiation within the EU, nor reform of the EU, but by threatening to put forward legislation which causes EU law to become subservient to UK law would be a step to far, and is likely to cause our removal from the EU, whether through the significant legal and political differences it will cause, or simply because it will be one instance of UK intransigence too many, and the EU will get as sick of it as those of us with more moderate positions on the EU within the UK.
    We have already passed the Canon Amendment and that was fine, so why would the EU have a problem now when we've already passed that?

There are those in this House that seek to protect the interests of this country, there are those in this House who are prepared to take bold action, but there are those in this House that are not prepared to take that bold action and that would sell this country down the stream for the sake of agreeing. Mr Speaker, it is this Government alone which is prepared to act in this country's interests and that is why we have formed a Government because we are prepared to act and to make Britain stronger and better. Can the Liberal Democrats honestly say that they are doing so as well?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (still on a touchscreen as couldn't get to a computer, so excuse mistakes )

Firstly, I thank the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs for outlining his ideas thoroughly early on in the session. I believe I can speak for the entire house in saying it is most appreciated.

His points raised concerning the (M)UN are welcomed. It is true to say that relations between the House and the (M)UN have been few and far between, and greater activity on that front is a priority, and would have been one of the things I was looking forward to most if we were to be in Government (*sigh*).

An EU bloc is an idea which needs to be made into action as soon as possible, and I look forward to the collaboration between the representative for the European Union, the Secretary of State and the other EU member countries.

As for the repatriation of powers from the EU, we treat this with initial trepidation. As you are all aware, the EU is now a fundamental part of national, continental and global affairs, and isolation from it would be disastrous. Of course, the Rt. Honourable Gentleman was not suggesting full isolation in the slightest, but one can only fear that if we distance ourselves too much, even if we keep within our legal rights, that the effect may only be detrimental and hurt the interests of the United Kingdom, something which is not in any of our interests. We trust the Secretary of State shall be careful in this dimension, and maintain our relations with the EU member states in the (M)UN to their fullest potential, and make sure that they do not feel we are isolating ourselves from them.

Nonetheless, we shall review each proposal on a case-by-case method, and look at the consequences of each of them individually.

Finally, the Commonwealth, and we shall state that we are interested in hearing the opinions of other Commonwealth nations on such a partnership and how it ought to be operated in the (M)UN. Overall, we are hopeful that such a proposal shall be fruitful, and look forward to the Secretary of State's endeavours in the matter.

Bar that, I hope the Rt. Honourable Gentleman will keep us informed on the affairs concerned, and remain active in the House and, indeed, (M)UN, and once again thank him for the statement.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    QFA
    I aim to be publishing my position paper in the MUN today.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    (still on a touchscreen as couldn't get to a computer, so excuse mistakes )

Firstly, I thank the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs for outlining his ideas thoroughly early on in the session. I believe I can speak for the entire house in saying it is most appreciated.

His points raised concerning the (M)UN are welcomed. It is true to say that relations between the House and the (M)UN have been few and far between, and greater activity on that front is a priority, and would have been one of the things I was looking forward to most if we were to be in Government (*sigh*).

An EU bloc is an idea which needs to be made into action as soon as possible, and I look forward to the collaboration between the representative for the European Union, the Secretary of State and the other EU member countries.

As for the repatriation of powers from the EU, we treat this with initial trepidation. As you are all aware, the EU is now a fundamental part of national, continental and global affairs, and isolation from it would be disastrous. Of course, the Rt. Honourable Gentleman was not suggesting full isolation in the slightest, but one can only fear that if we distance ourselves too much, even if we keep within our legal rights, that the effect may only be detrimental and hurt the interests of the United Kingdom, something which is not in any of our interests. We trust the Secretary of State shall be careful in this dimension, and maintain our relations with the EU member states to their fullest potential.

Nonetheless, we shall review each proposal on a case-by-case method, and look at the consequences of each of them individually.

Finally, the Commonwealth, and we shall state that we are interested in hearing the opinions of other Commonwealth nations on such a partnership and how it ought to be operated in the (M)UN. Overall, we are hopeful that such a proposal shall be fruitful, and look forward to the Secretary of State's endeavours in the matter.

Bar that, I hope the Rt. Honourable Gentleman will keep us informed on the affairs concerned, and remain active in the House and, indeed, (M)UN, and once again thank him for the statement.
    I thank my counterpart for his kind words. I will be presenting a position paper tonight in the MUN about the EU bloc tonight and hope to establish the bloc within the next few weeks. I shall inform this House of my actions within the MUN by establishing a thread which Nick's permission where I will simply post statements to update the House (this will prevent the House getting clogged up with my statements).

On another note, should the Right Honourable member wish to be in Government, all he need do is join TSR UKIP
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll look forward to this
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I'll look forward to this
    It could be published tonight so be sure to look out for it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thank my counterpart for his kind words. I will be presenting a position paper tonight in the MUN about the EU bloc tonight and hope to establish the bloc within the next few weeks. I shall inform this House of my actions within the MUN by establishing a thread which Nick's permission where I will simply post statements to update the House (this will prevent the House getting clogged up with my statements).

On another note, should the Right Honourable member wish to be in Government, all he need do is join TSR UKIP
    Noce try, my friend, nice try

I look forward to the position paper.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I support this report very much, I particularly support the repatriation of powers from the EU; it's about time we did that. Well done for a well written report.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have already passed the Canon Amendment and that was fine, so why would the EU have a problem now when we've already passed that?

There are those in this House that seek to protect the interests of this country, there are those in this House who are prepared to take bold action, but there are those in this House that are not prepared to take that bold action and that would sell this country down the stream for the sake of agreeing. Mr Speaker, it is this Government alone which is prepared to act in this country's interests and that is why we have formed a Government because we are prepared to act and to make Britain stronger and better. Can the Liberal Democrats honestly say that they are doing so as well?
    The simple truth is the canon amendment stands more as an administrative, than a political decision, to make it easier for us as a model HoC to consider and put through legislation without an additional layer of responsibility to consider. This change, as i'm sure you're as aware of as much as I am, is completely different and purely political.

It is in the interest of our country to work with, not against the EU. The political, social and economic benefits are clear and unquestioned, and this posturing is damaging at best, and an attempt to completely circumnavigate the will of the elecotrate at worst. I'm neither a blind advocate of the EU, nor now a member of the Lib Dems, just to make that clear. But I can certainly see a bout of narrow viewed rhetoric when it's presented to me.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    The simple truth is the canon amendment stands more as an administrative, than a political decision, to make it easier for us as a model HoC to consider and put through legislation without an additional layer of responsibility to consider. This change, as i'm sure you're as aware of as much as I am, is completely different and purely political.
    Certainly, though my reform of the Canon Amendment is a last resort action that I certainly do not wish to take. You could argue that, with the possibility of negotiations with an EU bloc in the MUN, the Canon Amendment isn't needed. However, making it easier to pass legislation in this House is my priority and so my reform is administrative and not political. There are also political reasons, but my main reason is administrative.

It is in the interest of our country to work with, not against the EU. The political, social and economic benefits are clear and unquestioned, and this posturing is damaging at best, and an attempt to completely circumnavigate the will of the elecotrate at worst. I'm neither a blind advocate of the EU, nor now a member of the Lib Dems, just to make that clear. But I can certainly see a bout of narrow viewed rhetoric when it's presented to me.
    I am sad to hear that you've left the Lib Dems. You were definitely a force for good there.

With regards to your above comments, it is not damaging at all. Other countries fight for their national interests and we are doing the same. There is nothing wrong in fighting for our interests. I also must strongly refute your allegations of circumnavigating the will of the electorate on two grounds. The first is that the general election was not fought on the issue of Europe so you simply can not draw that conclusion. The second is that, while the referendum did not allow us to withdraw from the EU, the electorate did not say that they did not want powers to be devolved back. They did not say that they did either, so you simply can't say that one stance was favoured by the electorate over another and that I am circumnavigating the will of the electorate.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    It could be published tonight so be sure to look out for it.
    Is it posted anywhere? I can't find it
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Is it posted anywhere? I can't find it
    I submitted it last night. It's expected to be published today. While you're waiting though, you could always read my other position paper submitted as a rep for Myanmar or the HoC last position paper which I submitted on behalf of Dayne when I was last foreign secretary.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I submitted it last night. It's expected to be published today. While you're waiting though, you could always read my other position paper submitted as a rep for Myanmar or the HoC last position paper which I submitted on behalf of Dayne when I was last foreign secretary.
    Okay cool.

Do you happen to have a link to it or can you remember the thread's name so I can search for it?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Okay cool.

Do you happen to have a link to it or can you remember the thread's name so I can search for it?
    Wiki guide containing all current position paper links and a guide on how to write one if you're interested:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...osition_Papers

My position paper submitted and authored by myself as the rep for Myanmar:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=33023536

(You may need to scroll to the top if it goes to the last post)

The Position Paper I submitted on behalf of Dayne and the HoC Government when I was previously Foreign Secretary:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1709944

In short, they are really fun to write and research and I'm sure T_C will agree with me there:

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    QFA
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    They certainly are interesting to read. I've never written one myself but I might do after my tenure as SG is over.

I'm just finishing up reading Toronto's Paper right now and then I'll post it.
    If you have the time and the means to write a position paper then go for it!
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wiki guide containing all current position paper links and a guide on how to write one if you're interested:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...osition_Papers

My position paper submitted and authored by myself as the rep for Myanmar:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=33023536

(You may need to scroll to the top if it goes to the last post)

The Position Paper I submitted on behalf of Dayne and the HoC Government when I was previously Foreign Secretary:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1709944

In short, they are really fun to write and research and I'm sure T_C will agree with me there:
    Thank you. I'll take a look.

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    They certainly are interesting to read. I've never written one myself but I might do after my tenure as SG is over.

I'm just finishing up reading Toronto's Paper right now and then I'll post it.
    If you have the time and the means to write a position paper then go for it!
    I may write one, probably in the Summer Holidays as I need to focus on revision right now, but I'll get the time

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.