Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B424 - Unsupervised Tanning Shop Bill 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    B424 - Unsupervised Tanning Shop Bill 2012, TSR Liberal Democrat

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. All businesses operating unsupervised tanning machinery (i.e Ultra-violet tanning booths, particularly of a coin-operated nature) will be banned from the date of the commencement of this bill.

(1) 'Unsupervised' defines businesses of "open shop" nature, without regular supervision from a fully trained member of staff.

2. Prosecution of unlawful businesses

(1) This bill will allow for a six-month period in which business owners can complete the necessary procedures to conform to this bill if they wish to continue operating their business.
    (2) If a shop is reported to be providing unsupervised tanning facilities, an immediate investigation will be carried out to ascertain this, conducted by the Police. If a business is found in breach of this bill, the named manager/director of the business will be summoned to appear at court.
    (3) Failure to conform to this bill will be punishable by both a fine of no more than ₤20,000, charged to the business in question. The business will be given exactly one month to hire staff to supervise the use of equipment. If this is unsuccessful, the business will be permanently closed down.

3. Commencement
    (1) This bill will commence on the date of 1st January 2013.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but like the Labour Bill which has now been withdrawn, they're hardly imaginative or bold Bills. The Opposition is very disappointing so far.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Again?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    That has to be one of the worst formatted Bills I have seen in a while.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if it's a big, important bill I can understand recycling it from a few years ago. But one about this?

Tanning booths - the battleground upon which elections are won and lost.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

(Original post by toronto353)
    Aye, but like the Labour Bill which has now been withdrawn, they're hardly imaginative or bold Bills. The Opposition is very disappointing so far.
    It seems a lot like the Government are simply putting forward lots of Bills and Motions now to give the illusion that they're more active than the Opposition; we're planning, and unlike you we're not cramming all of our Bills into the short-term.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am confused, what tanning salon is unsupervised? have any of the TSR Liberal Democrats been to a tanning salon as if they had they'd understand that one it is not a tanning shop and two they are supervised.

Quite frankly this is a poorly thought out and formatted bill. A big no from me.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Aye.

It seems a lot like the Government are simply putting forward lots of Bills and Motions now to give the illusion that they're more active than the Opposition; we're planning, and unlike you we're not cramming all of our Bills into the short-term.
    There are Bills planned throughout this Parliament. The Government will maintain the momentum of the high level of activity which we are creating in the House. I'm sure we've all heard the Labour party's claims that they are planning Bills, in particular any time during the last Parliament and how exactly did that turn out? It appears to me that 'planning' is a euphemism for doing nothing in the Labour Party.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are Bills planned throughout this Parliament. The Government will maintain the momentum of the high level of activity which we are creating in the House. I'm sure we've all heard the Labour party's claims that they are planning Bills, in particular any time during the last Parliament and how exactly did that turn out? It appears to me that 'planning' is a euphemism for doing nothing in the Labour Party.
    There were many personal issues that came up for myself and some other, more key members which made it harder to be active.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    There were many personal issues that came up for myself and some other, more key members which made it harder to be active.
    Convenient that you are telling us now and not then :rolleyes:
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    We all have issues and I sympathise, but Labour is a large party. I can not believe that every single person had so many problems that they couldn't even debate or put together a motion.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Convenient that you are telling us now and not then :rolleyes:
    My apologies, I didn't know that I needed to tell you when both psychological and family problems occur. :rolleyes:

We all have issues and I sympathise, but Labour is a large party. I can not believe that every single person had so many problems that they couldn't even debate or put together a motion.
    I know, I can't vouch for everybody, but those that tend to be more active had very large things coming up.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know, I can't vouch for everybody, but those that tend to be more active had very large things coming up.
    So that's those who tend to be more active, but still why no motions? It was a poor show by the last Government whatever way you look at it.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    So that's those who tend to be more active, but still why no motions? It was a poor show by the last Government whatever way you look at it.
    Because for me personally bills are better than motions as motions have a smaller impact (my view, but I can't speak for the others in Labour).
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because for me personally bills are better than motions as motions have a smaller impact (my view, but I can't speak for the others in Labour).
    No my point is that activity is activity. I would rather produce a motion and show that my party is active than do nothing. The fact is that nothing was produced and even while in Opposition the state of the Bills (like this one in particular) by Labour and the Lib Dems (a former governing party) is uninspiring.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Motions take 30/40 mins to put together at best, Good Bills take up to 1,2,3 nights. It's not much of ask for an entire party.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys, can we get back on topic. This is a very ****ing important issue affecting literally 6 or 7 people a year.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    Guys, can we get back on topic. This is a very ****ing important issue affecting literally 6 or 7 people a year.
    Awful formatting of Bills by the TSR Lib Dems probably affects more people than this bill actually intends to.

I would rep you, but it wont let me :P
Updated: April 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.