Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M72 - Diamond Jubilee 'Big Lunch' Motion

Announcements Posted on
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    M72 - Diamond Jubilee 'Big Lunch' Motion, TSR Government This house believes that local Councils should take a pro-active approach to the organisation of these events to promote community cohesion, as such every accomodation possible should be made to their arrangement, and community activists and organisers should be put into contact with one another where appropriate.

'The Big Lunch' is an intiative launched to coincide with the Diamon Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, whereby communties are encrouaged to gather and celebrate the occasion with a communal lunch in a public space, along with any other games or activities provided by the organisers. A solid excersise in community cohesion, such events allow the public to organise ways for their community to gather on their own terms, empowering them to show their local community how much they are valued. The aim of these events are to create fayre or Street Party atmospheres to echo similar events 35 years ago. This House therefore believes this to be a comendable and worthy intiative, and as such support should be given to it, whilst leaving it in the hands of the community rather than local government.

The action to take place would be to pro-activley anticipate, plan for and allow road closures; where possible, for Street Parties, to allow advertisment for such events and to lend help as much as possible in the fast tracking of such events through any applicable legislation or local by-laws.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye obviously.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Aye obviously.
    Not that I was going to agree with the motion given its content but since you're the one member of the government floating about could you get your colleagues to proof read things before submitting them. This is riddled with things like "Diamon Jubilee" and so forth!!!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye, why not?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    No.
    Why exactly are you opposing this though?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye on the basis that it's simply an encouragement to have these 'big lunches', however I'm personally a republican and would not agree with any special funding going towards helping these parties.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreeable reasoning or not, the actual motion is merely calling for local councils to not get in the way of such celebrations, not to actually organise or force them themselves. Whilst I agree that this is a good thing, it shouldn't require a motion; It should just be the way it is. Councils shouldn't get in the way of public organisations, be they monarchist or republican, communist tent-****ing festivals or green trade faires.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    While I agree with the idea of promoting community cohesion, as an anti-royalist I believe this just causes unnecessary disruption to everyday life. Nay.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people just organise their own ****ing parties if they're into this royalty stuff so much?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    Agreeable reasoning or not, the actual motion is merely calling for local councils to not get in the way of such celebrations, not to actually organise or force them themselves. Whilst I agree that this is a good thing, it shouldn't require a motion; It should just be the way it is. Councils shouldn't get in the way of public organisations, be they monarchist or republican, communist tent-****ing festivals or green trade faires.
    I didn't think councils would get in the way - the thing that gets in the way is traffic on the roads!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly are you opposing this though?
    I don't care about the queen.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about the queen.
    So you're reasoning is basically 'because I don't care about the queen, nobody else should so I'll vote against this motion so that others don't celebrate her reign'. This is a rather selfish reasoning process isn't it?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you're reasoning is basically 'because I don't care about the queen, nobody else should so I'll vote against this motion so that others don't celebrate her reign'. This is a rather selfish reasoning process isn't it?
    I don't care whether other people care about the queen or not.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely abstaining would be a better option then?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if you don't care about whether other people care about the queen or not why are you so adamant in voting against this motion which would help local people to have street parties? If you didn't care, you'd vote for this motion because it doesn't matter to you whether people celebrate the queen's reign or not?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if you don't care about whether other people care about the queen or not why are you so adamant in voting against this motion which would help local people to have street parties? If you didn't care, you'd vote for this motion because it doesn't matter to you whether people celebrate the queen's reign or not?
    I don't want to be seen to be legitimising it. I will probably abstain.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be seen to be legitimising it. I will probably abstain.
    I respect your decision on this issue.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    People should be free to celebrate royal events. Street parties and closing of streets though will just infringe on the lives of those that don't care in the slightest about the monarchy. Have parties by all means, hold them in public if you must - but make it somewhere like a park or a civic centre so it's not in the way of those that just want to treat it like any other day.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't give two craps about the old queenie however I like the idea of street parties and they bring communities together so AYE!
Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.