Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Is Religion the Cause of Most Wars?

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    So much reading :sadnod:

Anywho, I'd probably say no. If you want to kill people, you'd kill people regardless of your religious beliefs.
    dont u think a religion that promises reward in heaven for killing might actually encourage killing?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamskiUK)
    Yes, people exploit religion and use it as an excuse. In their eyes, however, it is a justified excuse, so I suppose you could call it a reason.

Take... Moslems... for example. The radicals don't 'twist' the words of the Qu'ran at all It is written (in most senses), that the Arab culture should be entirely secular to the Western one. Whilst hate isn't inspired directly from the Qu'ran, it does state that the unbelievers (Kafiir) will burn along Shaytan if they are not to be converted. The Qu'ran can also make out Kafiir to be followers of Shaytan unknowingly until they convert.

So in a way, Islam does inspire and set up wars.
    People get angry when you use that word becuz it actually means somethin bad in Arabic.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    dont u think a religion that promises reward in heaven for killing might actually encourage killing?
    Give me a religion that does.

People will kill others regardless of whether there's a reward at the end or not. We'd just find excuses to do so.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Give me a religion that does.

People will kill others regardless of whether there's a reward at the end or not. We'd just find excuses to do so.
    islam.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    islam.
    Guessed you'd say that.

Why is it the large majority of Muslims don't go around killing people? Surely life in jail here is nothing like eternal bliss with Allah?

Where does it say killing is good?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Where does it say killing is good?
    koran 4.74, koran 2.207
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    koran 4.74, koran 2.207
    2.207 - And of mankind is he who would sell himself, seeking the pleasure of Allah; and Allah hath compassion on (His) bondmen.

4.74 - Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward.

I have no idea what 2.207 has anything to do with anything :dontknow: but lemme tell you a cool story. 4.76 was used by Osama bin Laden in his 'Letter to America' but anyway, I strongly doubt that Muslims will ever go around and just start fighting. Do you see the majority of muslims doing that?

If you want to be a good person, you'll be a good person. If you want to be a bad person, you'll be a bad person.

I'll let you know, I'm not Muslim in the slightest. I just don't appreciate hasty generalisations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2.207 - And of mankind is he who would sell himself, seeking the pleasure of Allah; and Allah hath compassion on (His) bondmen.

4.74 - Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward.

I have no idea what 2.207 has anything to do with anything :dontknow: but lemme tell you a cool story. 4.76 was used by Osama bin Laden in his 'Letter to America' but anyway, I strongly doubt that Muslims will ever go around and just start fighting. Do you see the majority of muslims doing that?

If you want to be a good person, you'll be a good person. If you want to be a bad person, you'll be a bad person.

I'll let you know, I'm not Muslim in the slightest. I just don't appreciate hasty generalisations.
    ask moslems whether they go around and start fighting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Qu'ran doesn't encourage people to start fighting. Even when seeking out a violent meaning in the Qu'ran, it's a challenge to find any line that could be interpreted to mean anything more than 'fight back against those who choose to fight you'. Even then there isn't anything to say that fighting must be by violent means. It could be referring to fighting politically or economically as much as it could mean acts of war or terrorism. The key reason why most Muslims are non-violent is because the rest of the Qu'ran discourages violence and thus most choose to interpret lines about fighting to mean non-violent forms of fighting.

I actually find the suggestion that all Muslims are violent quite offensive. Thinking back to just the last 18-months, how many Muslims have died in non-violent protests against their own governments? The total is huge. Many, many brave people, dead. You do a disservice to each one by suggesting they were violent people.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    ask moslems whether they go around and start fighting.
    None of the ones I know do.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Ayshizzle,

I totally agree with this. Sad to say, many people have used religious beliefs as an excuse to invade other people, to force convert them, and/or to take advantage of them through making other people "second class citizens" and subjecting them to taxes, and/or various forms of discrimination.

Many "Christians" throughout the centuries have sadly and tragically done the above, as well as killing others who don't believe how they do. This is evil and wrong.

Jesus did not teach his followers to kill or persecute others. Rather, Jesus said to love one's enemies (one doesn't kill or persecute who one loves) and pray for them and do good to them and bless those who curse them and help those in need. So, Christians who have tragically killed others, invaded others, persecuted others, in the name of their religion, have not obeyed Jesus' teachings, nor followed the example of the apostles/disciples of Jesus who walked and talked with him.

Anyways, yes you are right... sad to say, many people of different beliefs have and do use religion as an excuse for war.

May God help nations and people to respect each other and care for each other regardless of differences in beliefs.

Peace and God bless you
    Agreed

People will do good and bad things regardless of their faith, a horrible person is a horrible person!

If religion didn't exist people would find another excuse to be violent towards one another, whether it be race, land, money, power etc.

It would be nice if everyone got along, but humans don't seem to be very good at that lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    None of the ones I know do.
    congratulations.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only the naive would think religion is the cause of most wars. The greatest human losses this planet has suffered were in the two World Wars which had nothing to do with religion. The numbers killed dwarf other wars.

The main reasons for war are as old as humans. It's a fight to control resources and therefore power. Pure politics.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    congratulations.
    Well seeing as you're SO sure Islam promotes killing why aren't all the 2 billion Muslims murdering everyone then?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satchef1)
    Scientific study and method both have their roots in the church too, even if religion was slow to react when scientific discovery contradicted religious belief.
    "Slow to react"!? The church brutally and systematically oppressed scientific advances in medicine.

Unforgivable. Absolutely unforgivable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as you're SO sure Islam promotes killing why aren't all the 2 billion Muslims murdering everyone then?
    Because only 5% of the country is muslim, and muslims know they cant win right now. But ultimately when islam becomes a major part any society it will not tolerate non-muslims. as we see on a day to day basis in all muslim countries and a large number of african countries. ie sudan, nigeria.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Humans are the cause of wars. Religion is just used to justify evil acts.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    Because only 5% of the country is muslim, and muslims know they cant win right now. But ultimately when islam becomes a major part any society it will not tolerate non-muslims. as we see on a day to day basis in all muslim countries and a large number of african countries. ie sudan, nigeria.
    Was I talking about this country? Nope. I said all the 2 billion of them out there, why aren't they all violent?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was I talking about this country? Nope. I said all the 2 billion of them out there, why aren't they all violent?
    why do you ask me? all i said is islam encourages killing. that does not make every muslim a murder. but it does give many muslims an excuse.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Modern wars. NO. Religion can't be used as a scapegoat for human autonomy. Humans who turn to greed and resentment create war. Infact, religion is often suppressed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.