Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Organ donation.

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you an organ donor?

If not, why aren't you?

Do you think you should be automatically signed to the organ donor register at birth and only removed at your request?

I don't see why I would need any organs once I am dead so they're free to be of use to anybody once I die.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nobody would want my organs
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a donor card and have chosen to give up my organs when I die, however if it were assumed by the state that I would give up my organs, I would take myself off the register. It's my body and I choose to use it how I see fit, for the state to assume rights over whether or not I give my organs isn't right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    Are you an organ donor?

If not, why aren't you?

Do you think you should be automatically signed to the organ donor register at birth and only removed at your request?

I don't see why I would need any organs once I am dead so they're free to be of use to anybody once I die.
    Yes.

I admittedly took my time about it, but when my grandad died, it affirmed my view that when you die, that's it, so I finally got round to signing up.

Definitely. It's only because of the religious histor-ocrats that it's opt in instead. If we were a secular country rather than one with Christian roots, it would be much easier to change it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I think it's utterly obscene for the state to presume ownership of a person's corpse.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes - I'm not going to have a use for those organs when I die, am I? If it's going to save lives (which it does) I'm more than happy to donate my organs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta_Aitch)
    I have a donor card and have chosen to give up my organs when I die, however if it were assumed by the state that I would give up my organs, I would take myself off the register. It's my body and I choose to use it how I see fit, for the state to assume rights over whether or not I give my organs isn't right.
    They're not assuming rights over anything though. It's ludicrously easy to sign up and one can only assume it would be ludicrously easy to opt out if it were reversed. They're not making it difficult to switch your preference, it's just a default for everyone, just many people are too lazy to change it!

Will organ shortage ever be enough of an issue to force a referendum of some sort on it? If it isn't already I doubt any government will have the guts to put it out there. Maybe the question shouldn't be 'should it be opt in or opt out?' instead 'what would have to happen to question it on a large scale?'. I dunno.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I applied for my provisional licence I had to say if I'd be willing to register, had no idea what to put but ended up saying I would. Few weeks later I read up on it and people were saying that if you end up in hospital and the doctors know you're on the list, they'll be less likely to try and save you - complete BS by the way - so I stupidly took myself off, and am yet to re-register.
    In a way I think if you're willing to accept someone else's organ, it's only fair if you donate yours.
    But then again I think about how it's MY body and what'll happen to it after I'm gone, I'll have no say in the matter.
    Gets you thinking...:rolleyes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, it should DEFINITELY be opt out rather than opt in...

really cannot think of a valid reason why you shouldn't donate organs if you are healthy enough (i don't think religion is a valid reason but i will accept people have the right to choose, also the excuse that doctors are less likely to save you if you're on the register is complete CRAP).... very selfish not to imo... aside form the main reason that you could save the life of not just one person who needs the organ, but their friends, family etc..

if you are willing to accept and organ you should be willing to donate if you can.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm registered. I think that you should be automatically on the register and only removed on request. I think that also people who need organs should be 'bumped up' on the list if they are registered themselves. (obviously there would be exceptions to this eg if the person has a previous illness meaning they could not give up their organs)
    if you're willing to take an organ, you should be willing to give one too.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am a donor.

It looks as though Wales is going to be the first UK country to change to an 'opt out' system.
    Studies have shown that people would like to donate their organs, just haven't filled the forms in. The 'opt out' system would mean people with a strong objection to donating their organs would do so, but more organs would be available for the people who need it.

Just remember, organ donation saves lives. Actual lives. The life it saves could be yours or the life of someone you love. The more donations the more lives are saved.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It should be opt-out imo. Having said that, I'm not sure whether I am signed up or not.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My housemate gave me a form to fill out, and I must admit that seeing it there with boxes to tick for which organs you want to give away really freaked me out. I didn't post it for over a month because I just felt weird about it. I don't believe in any sort of afterlife so I don't know why I feel like I do, but I hate the thought of having my organs taken out of me when I'm dead. I know I'm being irrational so I'm now a donor, but not an entirely happy one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you an organ donor?

If not, why aren't you?

i'm on the organ donation register & i totally agree with your last statement !

• 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pony Jack)
    They're not assuming rights over anything though. It's ludicrously easy to sign up and one can only assume it would be ludicrously easy to opt out if it were reversed. They're not making it difficult to switch your preference, it's just a default for everyone, just many people are too lazy to change it!

Will organ shortage ever be enough of an issue to force a referendum of some sort on it? If it isn't already I doubt any government will have the guts to put it out there. Maybe the question shouldn't be 'should it be opt in or opt out?' instead 'what would have to happen to question it on a large scale?'. I dunno.
    I understand that it's ridiculously easy to opt-in/opt-out, however it is the state's presumption that everyone wants their organs to be donated that irritates me.

There are many people out there who do want to donate their organs when asked about it, but are unaware that they need to be put on the register. Now let's say that organ donation was changed to being opt-out, the fact will still remain that, while it may be easy to opt-out, people are just unaware that they have to explicitly do it.
    There are many reasons (I personally do not believe in) as to why people don't want to donate their organs, and for them to be pretty much forced into it because they hadn't realised they had to 'opt-out' is ridiculous.

There is very little we as human can control in our lives, but to have the state assume control over our own bodies is just not on, in my opinion.

I believe the solution is just to keep people aware of the need of organ donation and to advertise more, not to take away their freedom by assuming everyone will want in on it.

Err, out of interest, can someone clarify the difference between 'assume' and 'presume'? I'm interchanging them both and have confused myself :plz2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta_Aitch)
    I understand that it's ridiculously easy to opt-in/opt-out, however it is the state's presumption that everyone wants their organs to be donated that irritates me.

There are many people out there who do want to donate their organs when asked about it, but are unaware that they need to be put on the register. Now let's say that organ donation was changed to being opt-out, the fact will still remain that, while it may be easy to opt-out, people are just unaware that they have to explicitly do it.
    There are many reasons (I personally do not believe in) as to why people don't want to donate their organs, and for them to be pretty much forced into it because they hadn't realised they had to 'opt-out' is ridiculous.

There is very little we as human can control in our lives, but to have the state assume control over our own bodies is just not on, in my opinion.

I believe the solution is just to keep people aware of the need of organ donation and to advertise more, not to take away their freedom by assuming everyone will want in on it.

Err, out of interest, can someone clarify the difference between 'assume' and 'presume'? I'm interchanging them both and have confused myself :plz2:
    Presume is either base something on probability or to take for granted that it's that way, assume is suppose without proof, or take or begin to have (power or responsibility) over, so you've used both its meanings correctly

I think awareness is partly to play in low sign up rates, but maybe awareness of how easy it is (you can do it online FFS), and exactly what you're signing up for (and that you can de-register), rather than the fact of having to sign up.

If it were to switch to opt out, it's evident that the opt out brigade are a lot more proactive than any opt in crew that exists are. I think it's a basic trait of human nature that people are more inclined to do something 'selfish', i.e. hoard their organs after death, than something generous, i.e. give them away, in the same way most people only give away their money and possessions after they die rather than during their lifetime.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pony Jack)
    Presume is either base something on probability or to take for granted that it's that way, assume is suppose without proof, or take or begin to have (power or responsibility) over, so you've used both its meanings correctly

I think awareness is partly to play in low sign up rates, but maybe awareness of how easy it is (you can do it online FFS), and exactly what you're signing up for (and that you can de-register), rather than the fact of having to sign up.
    Ah, cheers :yy:

I think the first step is about raising awareness, tbh. There are a lot of people out there who are indifferent to donating organs, but when pressed to answer if they are for or against it, they choose 'for'. So I think getting those people who are as of yet undecided to be aware of the growing need for organ donation is a good starting place.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen to donate everything and I've put myself on the living kidney donation, too.

The hell I need anything I've got when I'm dead anyway is beyond me, what isn't taken is going to be burnt anyway, may as well make use of it.

I donate blood too, which is something that more people should be encouraged to do, though I can see why donating a kidney whilst alive is something more people aren't to sure about, though I felt it necessary after a friend of mine suffered kidney failure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest and i know it's a little harsh...but i can't be bothered with the papers.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.