Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Organ donation.

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Currently, no I'm not, even though I should be...
    My problem is I'd be scared that they take my organs before it's over... It may seem paranoid and almost selfish, but I'm not sure I could face that.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was an organ donor and donated blood. But I'm not allowed anymore, which kind of sucks cause I'd like to continue helping how I can. But oh well. I think the current system is fine, I wouldn't want to be automatically on the organ donations list, I think it's a personal decision to be made.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes i am, slice me open and take my insidey parts b*tch! lol x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Of course! They can take whatever they want from me .

But yes I do think it should be an opt-out system, SO many people just don't bother signing on but aren't against it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    I salute you sir :hat2:

The one thing I can't bring myself to do is live kidney donation.
    Hopefully I'll change my mind one day.
    I'm not sure I would do that either... or donate Marrow, you can have my blood but I have seen the size of those needles and I have a very low pain threshold
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am on the organ donor register and have been for a few years now don't see why not won't need them when I am dead. Am also on the bone marrow register, can't give blood though.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think i am :/

Ive applied but ive had nothing through the post? I had to wait until i was old enough to do it on my own though as my mum has mega issues with it even though shes not religious :/
    Ive also given blood but im not allowed to do it anymore cus i have bad skin and theyre 'scared of infection' which is fair enough i suppose!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OSharp)
    I'm not sure I would do that either... or donate Marrow, you can have my blood but I have seen the size of those needles and I have a very low pain threshold

Just in case you didn't know, you can donate stem cells from your blood so that they can grow your bone marrow externally. It's called PBSC. I am scared of the bone marrow needles too :p: (I'm on the register though because a very dear friend needs a bone marrow transplant. Pay it forward and all that...

I'm registered as an organ donor. I'm not gonna need them when I'm gone... Although the idea of donating skin and corneas really freaks me out :p:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta_Aitch)
    I have a donor card and have chosen to give up my organs when I die, however if it were assumed by the state that I would give up my organs, I would take myself off the register. It's my body and I choose to use it how I see fit, for the state to assume rights over whether or not I give my organs isn't right.
    So rather than protesting, raising awareness, trying to actually change the legislation that you think is wrong etc you'd risk removing a chance that could have saved someone's life just to make a political point?

OP: I am an organ donor.
    I can see issues on both sides but overall I am for an opt out system. There are other assumptions made in medicine, for example that someone wants to be resuscitated (in most cases), that someone is happy to receive blood while unconscious etc. This one in particular I think is a big one on the side of opt out... some people's beliefs would be that it's wrong to receive another persons blood however the only way to not receive blood would be to carry some note or have a tattoo or something stating so, and even then it might not be followed by doctors. In the case of organ donation in an opt out system, the option would (/should) be widely publicised, and it would be very quick and easy to remove yourself from the register. If a system was introduced I think doctors/home visit nurses/carers should speak to people and there should be TV adverts/magazine/newspaper campaigns. No need to spend tonnes, just keep the message clear. I certainly think anyone who really doesn't want their organs donated is much more likely to register than people who do, who often just don't get round to it.

xxx
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OSharp)
    Ah well I have signed up for the bone marrow donation. They had a bone marrow drive at uni and were giving out free cookies so I thought what the hell.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    No. I think it's utterly obscene for the state to presume ownership of a person's corpse.
    They already do. They slice it to **** when they do an autopsy and you're worried about them taking some crummy organs?

(Original post by shy-girl666)
    yes i am, slice me open and take my insidey parts b*tch! lol x
    You can rest assured that is what will happen, even if you weren't on the donor register Look up autopsies if you don't know what I'm on about. Everything gets removed...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just signed up because of this thread
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I didnt realise it was this easy! just signed up
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1337nutcase)
    They already do. They slice it to **** when they do an autopsy and you're worried about them taking some crummy organs?

You can rest assured that is what will happen, even if you weren't on the donor register Look up autopsies if you don't know what I'm on about. Everything gets removed...
    Less than a quarter of people get autopsied in England.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu tack)
    Less than a quarter of people get autopsied in England.
    Don't try to comfort yourself with that. If you die when you are a fit young woman you will be stripped and examined like a piece of meat...just the same as all the others. Life is random, you could die of anything, if you do, they won't hesitate to slice right into your very being and lay you wide open.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    Are you an organ donor?

If not, why aren't you?

Do you think you should be automatically signed to the organ donor register at birth and only removed at your request?

I don't see why I would need any organs once I am dead so they're free to be of use to anybody once I die.
    Yes, yes, and I agree.

I became an organ donor as soon as I was 16. I know you can sign up before that, but it just seemed like the right time
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Signed up when I was about 12.
    It should be something you opt out of, rather than opt in to.. just my opinion though.

Sign up link if anyone's interested - https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt...?campaign=1946
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I signed up to limited donation when I got my provisional driver's license, many years ago. I didn't agree to I think corneas, tissue and heart, just because it sounded "icky".

Hadn't thought about it since, but thinking about it many years later, when I have clients who have had cornea transplants, donated skin/tissue grafts and so on, I realise how much they are used. And if my corneas can help someone see again when I don't need them, then so be it.

I've just updated my consent to "everything".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1337nutcase)
    Don't try to comfort yourself with that. If you die when you are a fit young woman you will be stripped and examined like a piece of meat...just the same as all the others. Life is random, you could die of anything, if you do, they won't hesitate to slice right into your very being and lay you wide open.
    ...I'm not comforting myself with that, I'm on the organ donor register, I couldn't care less if they cut me open when I'm dead.
    It just seemed that you were saying that everyone gets an autopsy when they die, which is false.
    So I corrected you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I signed up for it I think it's a fantastic thing for people to do.

However I don't think people should be automatically signed up for it and should have to opt-out.. Instead, if there was more awareness about how simple it is to sign up and the huge amount of good it can do, that would counter the problem of minimal participation!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2013
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.