The Student Room Group

Why do people compliment beauty?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr.mAddd
and how exactly do you determine what these 'sik genetics' are?

well on a broader scale africans tend to have higher testosterone levels then whites and asians and other black people and hence can build muscle quicker.....an extreme would be someone born with a myostatin deficiency....i wish i was one of them :frown: ... those guys can be huge and ripped naturally way more easier then anyone else....
Reply 21
Because they all wish they were Samantha Brick
Reply 22
Original post by Foo.mp3
Or perhaps to make you smile/feel better about yourself? :smile:

I've no problem with compliments that come from the heart, or out of kindness (tho I'm not the most gracious recipient).. however I do have a problem with sycophancy/responses to :reel:

don't get me wrong i like it when people compliment you like that... but i never know what to say except thank you then i feel like i should say you too but then... i dont like saying stuff like that.. and i always wonder why they said it... i was going to give an example but it sounded a bit too samantha brick of me :colondollar:
Original post by Bellissima
the alternative to complimenting someone for something like beauty isn't insulting them for it...

I agree, it's not an achievement at all to be born pretty or whatever. However it seems to be a natural human trait to be attracted to pretty things; so the compliments we get for it is understandable.

Though I personally don't feel that much better after being complimented on my looks. :dontknow:
don't get me wrong i like it when people compliment you like that... but i never know what to say except thank you then i feel like i should say you too but then... i dont like saying stuff like that.. and i always wonder why they said it... i was going to give an example but it sounded a bit too samantha brick of me :colondollar:

the popularity of this name, needs to die.

Original post by R4INBOW
Because they all wish they were Samantha Brick
Reply 25
ok this is a genuine question

when normal people (not family, friends or romantic partners) compliment beauty like "you have lovely eyes" "you can have this beacause you're pretty" etc.

why do they do it? because if it happens to me it just makes me feel uncomfortable. i wouldn't say something like that to other people... even if there was a really hot guy or girl and i was really attracted to them, unless i was going out with them/goodfriend/family i wouldn't compliment them in that way.

it's just something you're born with, it's not an achievment. if someone said "you look good" or "your hair looks nice" then that would be a nice compliment because you've made the effort to do something and it's paid off...

i'm not saying you shouldn't compliment beauty if you want to but i just find it weird.. i guess it is to make them like you more?

Not everyone is born with it - often people go to great lengths to maintain an attractive weight, stay slim/build muscle to look good - spend hours and fortunes on hair and makeup etc

For every naturally beautiful person I'm sure there are hundreds of others striving to look their best :holmes:

A little recognition of the fact never did anyone any harm.
Reply 26
ok this is a genuine question

when normal people (not family, friends or romantic partners) compliment beauty like "you have lovely eyes" "you can have this beacause you're pretty" etc.

why do they do it? because if it happens to me it just makes me feel uncomfortable. i wouldn't say something like that to other people... even if there was a really hot guy or girl and i was really attracted to them, unless i was going out with them/goodfriend/family i wouldn't compliment them in that way.

it's just something you're born with, it's not an achievment. if someone said "you look good" or "your hair looks nice" then that would be a nice compliment because you've made the effort to do something and it's paid off...

i'm not saying you shouldn't compliment beauty if you want to but i just find it weird.. i guess it is to make them like you more?

In an odd way I suppose your looks are the first thing a person sees about you, it comes before people find out your achievements or anything about your personality so I suppose it is based around that. I know it sucks, but I think that it's the people who get to know you beyond your looks and actually take the time to get to know you as a person that are the ones who are worth taking compliments from :smile:
because beauty is an indication that the complemented has certain aesthetic qualities that are pleasing to the complementer, and also an indication that these qualities are acceptable parameters for coitus, generally.

bazinga
Reply 28

It depends a lot on *how* it's said and what the situation is. A casual, friendly, admiring comment is nice if offered in a relaxed way with no obvious driven intent behind it; if on the other hand there's some kind of predatory look in the eyes of the complimentor....

Personally I like being complimented on my looks if I've made an effort or wearing a nice new top or had a good hair day or something, as long as it's not made in a wierd way.
Reply 29
I've always found this a bit strange myself. Obviously it's nice to hear that someone thinks you're attractive, but I'd much rather be complimented on something I actually tried to achieve. For example, someone telling me that I'm interesting to talk to is going to win way more points than someone simply saying "You're pretty".
Too be nice. When a family member or partner compliments you, it feels good, but at the same time it's kind of like "well you're my mum so you have to say that". But if a stranger comes up to you and tells you that they really like your eyes or whatever it makes you feel even better, because they didn't have any reason or motive for say it.

If see a girl(mainly when I'm under the influence on a night out) and she has a nice outfit or her hair looks really nice or something, I tell her.
Original post by Mirey
They wanna get freaky with your badonkadonk but you can't just come out and say that.

I hope not. Sometimes old men compliment me at work :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest