Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather dress well or speak well?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Dress well or speak well?
    Dress well
    30.11%
    Speak well
    69.89%

• 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously 'dressing well' is subjective so you can use your own interpretation. However, if you choose this option, hypothetically, you would not speak very well.

By 'speaking well' I mean pronouncing words properly, softly spoken (i.e. not an accent) and a sophisticated vocabulary. However, you wouldn't dress very well (again use your own interpretation).

You can only choose one option. Personally, I'd choose 'speaking well' as I'm not that interested in fashion and I wear what's comfortable.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be well-spoken so I could troll people into thinking i'm a tramp then speak the queens English
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a ridiculous thread.

Might as well call it: "Would you rather look down your nose at people, or look down your nose at people?"
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Received pronunciation /= speaking 'properly'
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dress well. I like my accent.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Speak well, so that I can get fashion advice from someone by 'speaking well' to them :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    Dress well. I like my accent.
    Location: Chester-le-Street . I don't think others will have the same view. (NOT SRS)

(Maybe a bit SRS)
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be able to speak well (coherently with proper grammar and nice vocab) than dress well (whatever that means) and sound like a complete and utter dunce.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Speak well. People who cant speak well (say like all the time, use the wrong words, don't enunciate etc) just lose all credibility in a professional environment.

Plus I've noticed far more discrimination towards regional accents and chavvy ways of talking than what people wear.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Speak well.

But whichever option you choose you're screwed if you dont have the other when attending an interview in a professional environment.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone with a brummie accent, not speaking well isn't all that bad.
    I'd rather that than dress like a tramp...

and some accents are really nice (<3 yorkshire accents)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as either; both speaking well and dressing well are bull**** terms which have emerged from a superiority complex amongst rich, well educated people (who both speak and dress "well"). Speak how you naturally speak. Dress how you want to dress, only conform when you have to i.e. in a job interview.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why would this situation, where you have to choose between the two, ever arise?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    I'd rather be well-spoken so I could troll people into thinking i'm a tramp then speak the queens English

LOL Same. + rep my friend
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather dress well (by 'well' I mean smartly) because I think you can get away with pretty much any accent if you look smart. Whereas if you use big words and speak with a plum (not that that's necessarily the best way to speak!) but dress like you live in a dustbin, I think you'd look a bit daft.

This is a really stupid thread though.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    what a ridiculous thread :facepalm:. Both are completely irrelevant to what an actual person is really like, it doesn't make them any better than a person who didn't speak or dress well.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I chose speak well.
    I don't care about accents, I class speaking well as pronouncing words properly and talking in a way that people understand.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I pick both
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see where your coming from, id rather speak well as this is what i currently do, im a student, not a model student but im a great speaker and if the 6th form want a presentation advertising their 6th form then im their man, usually i wear what i normally wear unless im talking to parents but as soon as they here me talk, they already want to enrole at my 6th form
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    This immediately made me think of Ian McKellen's character, William, in the film 'Jack and Sarah'.

'I was here first...'

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.