Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What internship do I take?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm in my 2nd year and have been offered two internships during the summer: Audit at Grant Thornton (London office) and Audit and KPMG (Cambridge office). I also have a graduate job offer at Deloitte, which I've accepted so no matter what internship I take, I won't be pursuing a job with them.

I want to work at the office that gives me the most experience and has the best programme for interns, and provides me with the best opportunity in the future. So far I've had a far better experience with GT than with KPMG; they've been exceedingly nice to me and have put a lot of effort into convincing me to take their internship, which I appreciate. KPMG however have been very careless and unprofessional so far, though I know this could be a one-off. Furthermore, GT is in the London office so there'll be a larger intake of interns and thus I assume a more structured programme in place. However, I know overall KPMG is larger and more well-known company so I might get more experience there despite working in a very small, regional office with very few interns.

The only reason I would choose KPMG is because it's Big4, but now that I've got my graduate job at Deloitte I'm wondering whether my internship even matters in terms of my future. Once I'm working at Deloitte, surely no one will look at my internship right? GT seems like a more fun place to work, at least during the summer, and now that I've got my graduate offer I want to go for the place with the better atmosphere. That said, I'm worried rejecting KPMG will be stupid of me in terms of experience/future employment with other Big4 in case I switch from Deloitte one day. What does everyone think?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meiming8)
    Hi everyone,

I'm in my 2nd year and have been offered two internships during the summer: Audit at Grant Thornton (London office) and Audit and KPMG (Cambridge office). I also have a graduate job offer at Deloitte, which I've accepted so no matter what internship I take, I won't be pursuing a job with them.

I want to work at the office that gives me the most experience and has the best programme for interns, and provides me with the best opportunity in the future. So far I've had a far better experience with GT than with KPMG; they've been exceedingly nice to me and have put a lot of effort into convincing me to take their internship, which I appreciate. KPMG however have been very careless and unprofessional so far, though I know this could be a one-off. Furthermore, GT is in the London office so there'll be a larger intake of interns and thus I assume a more structured programme in place. However, I know overall KPMG is larger and more well-known company so I might get more experience there despite working in a very small, regional office with very few interns.

The only reason I would choose KPMG is because it's Big4, but now that I've got my graduate job at Deloitte I'm wondering whether my internship even matters in terms of my future. Once I'm working at Deloitte, surely no one will look at my internship right? GT seems like a more fun place to work, at least during the summer, and now that I've got my graduate offer I want to go for the place with the better atmosphere. That said, I'm worried rejecting KPMG will be stupid of me in terms of experience/future employment with other Big4 in case I switch from Deloitte one day. What does everyone think?
    You already know your answer. Go with your gut and take Grant Thornton.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you already have an offer from Deloitte then the decision you make will have a negligible impact on your future career. Is your Deloitte offer at a London office?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Regent)
    If you already have an offer from Deloitte then the decision you make will have a negligible impact on your future career. Is your Deloitte offer at a London office?
    Hi Regent,

Thanks for your advice. My offer for Deloitte is for ERS at the London office
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

"Gotta make my mind up
    Which internship can I take?"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

If you don't mind me asking how did you get a job offer with Deloitte by your second year?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im kind of in the same situation in that I have a Big 4 grad offer for Tax, but have deffered it until 2013 (doing a masters). However, this summer I got a Grant Thornton Tax internship offer and offers from Allianz underwriting and FSA. It was a tough decision because the folks at Grant Thornton were really nice, but I think its kind of pointless doing an internship in somthing you already have, so I took the FSA as Allianz was in regional offices.

Add an extra string to your bow. Try and intern in something different or another division, or I guess you could just see it as a summer job, save the money and travel for a month when its over..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose53)
    Im kind of in the same situation in that I have a Big 4 grad offer for Tax, but have deffered it until 2013 (doing a masters). However, this summer I got a Grant Thornton Tax internship offer and offers from Allianz underwriting and FSA. It was a tough decision because the folks at Grant Thornton were really nice, but I think its kind of pointless doing an internship in somthing you already have, so I took the FSA as Allianz was in regional offices.

Add an extra string to your bow. Try and intern in something different or another division, or I guess you could just see it as a summer job, save the money and travel for a month when its over..
    What role do you have with the FSA? Sounds interesting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Regent)
    What role do you have with the FSA? Sounds interesting.
    Just the general summer scheme. Not sure which desk it is on yet. But I'm sure it will be useful, and if I enjoy it, then I may even go full time as I havent completed my big 4 contract and dont have to until next year anyway. But its also been shortened and brought forward because of the olympics, so theres still time to do another internship or work experience if nobodies going away or doing anything
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack McGill)
    If you don't mind me asking how did you get a job offer with Deloitte by your second year?
    Hey Jack- I applied for Deloitte ERS internship, but they ran out of spots in their internship programme. After I passed my etray, I was chosen to be fast-tracked for the graduate position.

Also bluenose, thanks for the advice! The internship offers I have are actually different to my grad offer; they're in audit whilst my grad position is in ERS. I'm just going to think of it as gaining some extra experience and money. Thanks for your advice, it was helpful
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Grant Thornton seems like a good choice at this stage if you are definitely going to join Deloitte when you graduate (which I recommend, I'm joining this September ). However, if you aren't sure about Deloitte then it might be worth thinking about the benefit of getting one of the big 4 on your CV now. If Deloitte is a definite then GT seems the obvious choice. Also London is good

Must be nice to have a graduate place this early, saves worrying about applying in final year!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.