Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Are the Labour Party seen as an easy target?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that because they are perhaps the worst party to have ever governed this country, they are seen as an easy target by the right. Because of the fact that they got this country into unmanageable levels of debt, bred a chav underclass, sent immigration through the roof, and gave us the dictatorial leader Tony Blair who did not believe in civil liberties or listening to his electorate by going to war in Iraq, they are seen as easy pickings for attack.

I feel that sometimes, the right, instead of focussing on their own policies, simply focus on attacking Labour. This doesn't help, because Labour don't need the right to demonstrate how incompetent they are, whereas we do need strong leadership to get us out of Labour's mess. Focussing on attacks of the other party therefore rather than substantive policy creation is damaging this country's growth.

What are your thoughts?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're a moron.. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think supporting america was about the only thing blair did right
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who supports Labour is weak and needy. Labour supporters rely on Labour to feed their own pathetic existences by providing them with benefits. They are the sheep in society who need to be herded. Real men go and make their own lives in survival of the fittest. They do things their own way and do not need to be looked after in a child like manner. They are parasites who should be discarded and done with. A mass culling is needed promptly to solve this crisis. They are the reason the economy is crippled and why society is broken and its upon those stronger people to fix it and cleanse the country of the parasites that are spreading at an astonishing rate.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    i think supporting america was about the only thing blair did right
    I think supporting Amerca was about the worst of many things Blair got wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    I think supporting Amerca was about the worst of many things Blair got wrong.
    youd rathermhave seen saddam hussain participate in a nuclear arms race?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

I'm not saying they were in any way an efficient government, they were awful, but the current government is almost as awful, and Labour probably didn't cause much of the actual problems they oversaw.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but for a different reason to what you're saying. Labour basically followed the neoliberal policies that everyone in the Western world had already been pursuing since the late 1970s. Not that they weren't heavily at fault or that their policies weren't terrible; they were, but they were the ones holding the bomb when it went off.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    You mean the infamous WMDs which, it was discovered after the invasion, did not exist?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Yeah.

I'm not saying they were in any way an efficient government, they were awful, but the current government is almost as awful, and Labour probably didn't cause much of the actual problems they oversaw.
    but but...Nick and David keep on referring to the 'mess they have to clean up from the last government', I've heard this so many times now from various ministers on so many interviews, surely it must be true......and and..then theres this Gordon Brown bloke, I heard he's awful and a bad person, The Sun and the Daily Mail were always saying bad things about him, surely they must be right and surely this coalition government is the best thing to happen to us since Winston Churchill?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone is seen as an easy target.

All of the parties have an awful lot to answer for; the biggest disgrace is that the average Joe is too busy following the tabloids in their petty 'this party did this' and 'this party did that' to actually step back and take a look at where the role of government needs to end.

Blaming different parties only helps to entrench the current political system and is simply a ridiculously childish attempt at point scoring. After all, the policies churned out by any party are all much of a muchness.

The problem with this country is the political class, whether they be red, blue or yellow. And of course their cronies who sit high in their towers supported by corporate welfare.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    but but...Nick and David keep on referring to the 'mess they have to clean up from the last government', I've heard this so many times now from various ministers on so many interviews, surely it must be true......and and..then theres this Gordon Brown bloke, I heard he's awful and a bad person, The Sun and the Daily Mail were always saying bad things about him, surely they must be right and surely this coalition government is the best thing to happen to us since Winston Churchill?
    Blair and Brown were worse than Cameron and Clegg, most certainly.

IDK, what those stupid sensationalist papers say, I still look at the facts and think they were awful.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given that they make up the second largest political party in this country, I'd say no: they are a pretty formidable player in the political game in this country, regardless of my opinion of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    You mean the infamous WMDs which, it was discovered after the invasion, did not exist?
    nopem, i mean getting into a race with rival iran to be the first to get a nuclear weapon. not all wmds are nuclear.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour supporters are too.

A truly shocking political party.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    nopem, i mean getting into a race with rival iran to be the first to get a nuclear weapon. not all wmds are nuclear.
    The sanctions had made a mess or Iraq. They had nowhere near the capability to get nuclear weapons.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that the fact that Labour are sitting on a 5-10 point lead, are the second largest (or largest depending on who you believe) politicial party in the country, have recovered strongly from the 2010 election and have been pretty effective in opposition would mean that we're not an easy target.

If I was looking for an easy target then, considering the coalitions record and the sheer number of crisis's which have enveloped the government over the past 4 weeks I'd point to them.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danen)
    Well, with no nukes and no evidence of attempts to develop them, he was losing the race pretty badly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmTheWumAndOnly)
    Anyone who supports Labour is weak and needy. Labour supporters rely on Labour to feed their own pathetic existences by providing them with benefits. They are the sheep in society who need to be herded. Real men go and make their own lives in survival of the fittest. They do things their own way and do not need to be looked after in a child like manner. They are parasites who should be discarded and done with. A mass culling is needed promptly to solve this crisis. They are the reason the economy is crippled and why society is broken and its upon those stronger people to fix it and cleanse the country of the parasites that are spreading at an astonishing rate.
    People like you are the reason democracy fails.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Attacking parties is precisely why I prefer to tackle issues on a policy by policy basis. Enough of this Conservative/Labour 'identity' nonsense. It's not a club. Hell the parliament gets on with each other far more than their voters.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.