Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insurance brokers, my last peace/move in the battle with insurance companies

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well as some of you may know I have been searching for insurance that is cheaper than £3,ooo (maximum my mother will pay). The cheapest quote I've had so far was around £6,ooo (co-op smart box).

Due to me getting **** all quotes i want to try using an insure broker. So does any of you know of any good insure brokers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If coop are quoting £6grand then you're doing it wrong.
    What car are you using?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to insure a harrier jump jet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefunktopus69)
    If coop are quoting £6grand then you're doing it wrong.
    What car are you using?
    Nope. I even gender to female (For my sister for one quote) and she got around £3,ooo if i can remember clearly. Same answer, post code etc but just a slight change (gender, male to female).

I have even called their call center. After the guy heard my post code/gender, he pretty much told me to **** off after, i asked him if we could negotiate lol.

The reason why i have a £3,ooo threshold is due to that being my mum's limit on her budget for my insurance. So any info would be good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What car is it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackG1)
    Are you trying to insure a harrier jump jet?
    ford fiesta 1.2 style 3 doors
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also tried getting a quote for a ford KA, there was not much difference in price so i don't think the sacrifice in power would be worth it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me)
    ford fiesta 1.2 style 3 doors
    Do you live in a rough area? There must be some reason why you can't get it for less than £6k.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    where the hell do you live
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Streatham south london. Nice quite area, we were not effected by the london riots even with our good high street. So it's far from a rough area.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Streatham south london. Nice quite area, we were not effected by the london riots even with our good high street. So it's far from a rough area.
    How many quotes have you got? Have you done the whole comparethemarket/moneysupermarket/gocompare/confused thing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walterwhite123)
    How many quotes have you got? Have you done the whole comparethemarket/moneysupermarket/gocompare/confused thing?
    co-op
    insure the box
    go compare
    compare the market
    aviva
    hastings
    swinton
    sky
    direct line
    tesco
    asda

loads!! that i can't even remember. (20 - 30 quick estimate)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    co-op
    insure the box
    go compare
    compare the market
    aviva
    hastings
    swinton
    sky
    direct line
    tesco
    asda

loads!! that i can't even remember. (20 - 30 quick estimate)
    When you got your quote, you enter not a Cooperative page, did you actually click on young drivers or just the standard quote? go back to the webpage and double check you hadn't clicked a normal quote instead of smart box, I made that mistake first time to.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll see if I can give you a better quote at my office
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    £6000!

That can't be right. Have you omitted or failed to input some information correctly when trying to obtain a quote? Have you told them that you park it on a rapidly eroding cliff-edge or are prone to driving in your sleep?

And, a Fiesta 1.2? Even if I called up the insurance company and told them that I was using the vehicle specifically for the purpose or robbing a firework factory, I would still get a cheaper quote. There's got to be something wrong. I would try and go through the electronic process again and if it kicks up the same results, call. I've never seen the point in using a broker for a matter like personal vehicle insurance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I LOVE U)
    When you got your quote, you enter not a Cooperative page, did you actually click on young drivers or just the standard quote? go back to the webpage and double check you hadn't clicked a normal quote instead of smart box, I made that mistake first time to.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll see if I can give you a better quote at my office
    i clicked the smart box one. I know this due to their being a disclaimer etc etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All my info is correct no conviction, no past accidents, no health issues etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also in South London in the worst rated postcode yet I pay under £3k from coop on a Fiat Punto.

At first I got a quote of £5470ish but then I added a named driver (parent -could be anybody) and it dropped to its current level.

Also -what year is your car, I seemed to find they were unreasonable for new cars. Mine's from *cough* last millenium -have you bought the car because consider getting an older one.

Finally for some reason I found fiestas to be quoted higher than others (cetibus paribus). Try a punto!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thx i will try a fiat punto..
    gnna quickly get a quote from the co-op young drivers insurance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice tip. This is by far the cheapest quote i have had to date. Co-op young drivers insurance fiat punto £5,079.44
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't yet bought a car, try getting a quote on a 1.0 VW Lupo (If you're prepared to drive something that slow).. that was even cheaper for me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 13, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.