Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I leave school?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, first time posting Been a lurker for a while...

Anyway, I need some advice on something. I've got an unconditional to study medicine (woot!) and have absolutely no motivation to study for my advanced highers. I was talking to my dad the other night about this, and he suggested I just leave school and try and find a more full time job than the one I have right now.

I only have 15 days left at school until study leave, but I find it hard enough to study when I have a reason to do so! I phoned admissions to make sure they don't mind if I don't sit my exams and they were cool with it. Argh. Kind of nervous about jumping ship. Advice/stories similar to this would be nice please!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd just continue as you are. Do as much or as little work as you want, but there's no point leaving now. That and someone has had to pay for you to put yourself in as a candidate this time around.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happydude)

Anyway, I need some advice on something. I've got an unconditional to study medicine (woot!) and have absolutely no motivation to study for my advanced highers. I was talking to my dad the other night about this, and he suggested I just leave school and try and find a more full time job than the one I have right now.

I only have 15 days left at school until study leave, but I find it hard enough to study when I have a reason to do so! I phoned admissions to make sure they don't mind if I don't sit my exams and they were cool with it. Argh. Kind of nervous about jumping ship. Advice/stories similar to this would be nice please!
    When it comes to getting a job later in life, are you not concerned about the questions that may be raised as to why you haven't got any results from that stage in your education?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Firstly congrats on the unconditional offer.

I'd sit your exams if I was you. Questions will most probably be raised in the future if you leave without any qualifications at this time in your education.

Edit: As above ^
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will look better on your CV if you don't drop out. In this competitive market, everything that sets you apart from any other candidate is vital. Enjoy yourself, and don't get too stressed about your exams, but put some work in and get some decent results that you can be proud of.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan-Hetherington)
    If I were you, I'd just continue as you are. Do as much or as little work as you want, but there's no point leaving now. That and someone has had to pay for you to put yourself in as a candidate this time around.
    I don't want to sound ungrateful for the money spent, but that isn't a factor that bothers me at all.

(Original post by dslc)
    When it comes to getting a job later in life, are you not concerned about the questions that may be raised as to why you haven't got any results from that stage in your education?
    If I have my degree, are they going to bother asking about advanced highers? Surely saying I left school and did something beneficial rather than sat exams that were completely unnecessary sounds better...?

I really have no idea!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sound ungrateful for the money spent, but that isn't a factor that bothers me at all.

If I have my degree, are they going to bother asking about advanced highers? Surely saying I left school and did something beneficial rather than sat exams that were completely unnecessary sounds better...?

I really have no idea!
    Presuming you're sitting the examinations this summer, I would advise staying on. Though, of course, it is always going to come down to your own opinions.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just sit them anyway, you might do really well since there is less pressure
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think I might just sit them. I reckon I'll only leave if I have a decent enough job lined up well before the exams. Cheers all!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dslc)

(Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Firstly congrats on the unconditional offer.

I'd sit your exams if I was you. Questions will most probably be raised in the future if you leave without any qualifications at this time in your education.
    And the answer to these 'questions' is that he already had an unconditional and didn't need to sit the exams...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm in the exact same situation, different course though. I'm still gonna see it through to the end because hey I may get higher then before. Maybe you should too just to see if you can get higher, can't hurt and tbh you have nothing to lose seeing you're essentially guaranteed a place at uni.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend that you continue just incase it turns out medicine isnt for you and you decide to go for something else later in life, as well as all the work youve already done to get your highers.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    And the answer to these 'questions' is that he already had an unconditional and didn't need to sit the exams...
    :facepalm:

I know what an unconditional is.

Employers are going to want to know why he doesn't have any A-levels and I don't think 'I decided not to do any work because I had a unconditional' is really going to cut it especially when he may be put up against other candidates who have both A-levels and a degree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    :facepalm:

I know what an unconditional is.

Employers are going to want to know why he doesn't have any A-levels and I don't think 'I decided not to do any work because I had a unconditional' is really going to cut it especially when he may be put up against other candidates who have both A-levels and a degree.
    I didn't think you didn't know what it meant.

I think it's a perfectly acceptable answer to an employer. Shows that he knows when his time/energy can be better spent.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    just remember what the job market is like right now ... the chances of going anywhere in life without your highers/degree are very very slim.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.