The Student Room Group

Problem with coursework

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rascacielos
Then you really would have ammunition against him. He can hardly do that just because he doesn't like you.

Besides, it's the policy of pretty much every university that each essay is marked by more than 1 person so the marking is as fair as possible.

I was told it's been double marked by the law school. But then there are obvious mistakes in the marking, and only 1 signature. Besides, I've asked another teacher to look at it and they clearly said there was a mistake. So law school being dishonest by saying its being double marked, and no possibility of appeal to have it remarked.... Welcome to Exeter University...
Reply 21
Original post by OLawyer
I was told it's been double marked by the law school. But then there are obvious mistakes in the marking, and only 1 signature. Besides, I've asked another teacher to look at it and they clearly said there was a mistake. So law school being dishonest by saying its being double marked, and no possibility of appeal to have it remarked.... Welcome to Exeter University...

Why do you say there is no possibility of appeal? I take it you've read "Procedures relating to Student Academic Appeals" on the Uni of Exeter website. Formal assessment results contributing towards award appear to be subject to appeal under para 2.1. Haven't bothered to read the grounds but do note there is a time constraint, 10 days, although that seems to relate to final result as opposed to provisional mark. I think you need to read and then apply the uni's academic regulations in a legal sense to move ahead with this.
Original post by cliffg
Why do you say there is no possibility of appeal? I take it you've read "Procedures relating to Student Academic Appeals" on the Uni of Exeter website. Formal assessment results contributing towards award appear to be subject to appeal under para 2.1. Haven't bothered to read the grounds but do note there is a time constraint, 10 days, although that seems to relate to final result as opposed to provisional mark. I think you need to read and then apply the uni's academic regulations in a legal sense to move ahead with this.

Original post by OLawyer

I was about to suggest something like this. I don't think you're helping yourself a lot, OP. If something is wrong with the marking, you have to go and get it sorted out yourself - don't rely on others to do it for you.
Reply 23
I was about to suggest something like this. I don't think you're helping yourself a lot, OP. If something is wrong with the marking, you have to go and get it sorted out yourself - don't rely on others to do it for you.

It's difficult when you live abroad, and that it's the Easter holidays because everyone is away. As soon as I get back, I will have no time to sort this out as exams are a bigger priority
Original post by OLawyer
It's difficult when you live abroad, and that it's the Easter holidays because everyone is away. As soon as I get back, I will have no time to sort this out as exams are a bigger priority

Your choice, although I'm sure you could free up a spare hour to go speak to the other tutor.
Reply 25
Does this sort of thing happen at your universities? Is it normal I have to waste so much time contacting everyone and harassing everyone to get my paper remarked when there's an obvious error?
Original post by OLawyer
Does this sort of thing happen at your universities? Is it normal I have to waste so much time contacting everyone and harassing everyone to get my paper remarked when there's an obvious error?

It's normal everywhere. I know it's a pain that they couldn't get it right first time but you can't expect to have everything done for you. As the saying goes: "if you want something done, best do it yourself."
Reply 27
It's normal everywhere. I know it's a pain that they couldn't get it right first time but you can't expect to have everything done for you. As the saying goes: "if you want something done, best do it yourself."

I may have the advantage of you as I think I've read the essay. I have to say that 45% wasn't a mark I was shocked to see given to it.
Reply 28
Then you really would have ammunition against him. He can hardly do that just because he doesn't like you.

Besides, it's the policy of pretty much every university that each essay is marked by more than 1 person so the marking is as fair as possible.

Every paper has to be double marked. However, my paper wasn't, even though the law school says it has been. Everyone is being dishonest...
Original post by OLawyer
Every paper has to be double marked. However, my paper wasn't, even though the law school says it has been. Everyone is being dishonest...

Seems odd that they would not double mark your paper. But, like I said, there is nothing I can do about it and the only advice you're going to get is to go speak to someone, anyone yourself again and again until it's sorted.
Reply 30
Seems odd that they would not double mark your paper. But, like I said, there is nothing I can do about it and the only advice you're going to get is to go speak to someone, anyone yourself again and again until it's sorted.

I've already spoken to other people. I was told remarks are not an option, even though in the rules & uni regulation it clearly says you have a right to appeal your mark. It's now been 5 weeks that I'm waiting for feedback, I've kept a portfolio of emails I sent him, just to show how pathetic a supervisor this guy is.
Original post by OLawyer
I've already spoken to other people. I was told remarks are not an option, even though in the rules & uni regulation it clearly says you have a right to appeal your mark. It's now been 5 weeks that I'm waiting for feedback, I've kept a portfolio of emails I sent him, just to show how pathetic a supervisor this guy is.

Then you have two options: sit here and wait for feedback that may never come, or go and appeal again until you do get feedback.
Reply 32
Then you have two options: sit here and wait for feedback that may never come, or go and appeal again until you do get feedback.

I have but its hard getting feedback whilst getting abroad. I've finally reached the marker, he admits there's a problem and says he will take another look at my essay. So much for the alleged "double marking"...
If you do not want to have these problems, do not go to a British university. Raining a complaint when something beyond your control goes wrong is almost impossible. This forum will not help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by sohoscribbler
If you do not want to have these problems, do not go to a British university. Raining a complaint when something beyond your control goes wrong is almost impossible. This forum will not help.

Got to love my meeting with the marker today (took 1 month to get hold of him). Why are the ticks in the completely wrong boxes? Oh I don't know, there must be some sort of moderator error.... Law school says: "All papers have been double marked". Marker: Yes, I have marked your paper harshly, but I normally mark that way. If your paper had been marked by someone else it may have got 5 or 10% higher grade..... (note: we weren't all marked by the same markers, hence I am at a disadvantage).
Reply 35
[No point in saying I should not have gone to a british university... I'm in my 3rd year, so I'm finishing up here, and also, little did I know how poor exeter university was....
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending