Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What mistakes have you made on the road?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've made one or two:rolleyes:. I've stalled just as I was turning into a road and held up a few cars. I didn't cause a big hazzard, but it was embarrassing. The reason why I stalled is becuase it was on a bit of an up hill and I forgot to use my the HB before moving off.

My second one was bad and lucky. I went through a give way without noticing. I only knew what I had done right after I'd passed it. I got such a fright. Thanks God there was no cars coming from left or right. Not cool!!!:mad:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Worst thing i did was accidentaly clip my dads transit van with my old pug 206 when i moved off (i wasn't paying attention to what i was doing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Went up one of those crappy spiral things in multistorey car parks and scraped the alloy wheels. The sound it makes is horrible
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ran over a chicken. Bad times.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few!

- Didn't realise I had to give way in a certain place, wrote off my car which was probably the worst day of my life, since then I'm ridiculously careful!
    - Clipped wheels on bricks sticking out from a curb and dented both rims,
    - A couple of times not expected people to go when I have right of way, which isn't my fault but I should watch out more for things like that rather than having a bit of a last minute thing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlasgowRangers)
    I've made one or two:rolleyes:. I've stalled just as I was turning into a road and held up a few cars. I didn't cause a big hazzard, but it was embarrassing. The reason why I stalled is becuase it was on a bit of an up hill and I forgot to use my the HB before moving off.

My second one was bad and lucky. I went through a give way without noticing. I only knew what I had done right after I'd passed it. I got such a fright. Thanks God there was no cars coming from left or right. Not cool!!!:mad:
    i did both these things yesterday, oops

first one, i went on a little trip to a seaside town which was really hilly and as i tried to turn into a road i stalled and held up 3 or 4 cars and then second one, when i was on the way home from the same place my sat nav told me to turn right but on the sat nav it looked like the road just followed round (it often tells me to turn when you actually just need to follow the road) so i just continued round to the right. it wasn't till i was going round that i realised it was actually crossroads. good thing nothing was coming!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    when i was on the way home from the same place my sat nav told me to turn right but on the sat nav it looked like the road just followed round (it often tells me to turn when you actually just need to follow the road) so i just continued round to the right. it wasn't till i was going round that i realised it was actually crossroads. good thing nothing was coming!
    That reminded me of something I done a few days ago which I forgot about. I was driving through an area I hadn't been before (I've been, but not as a driver) and I was on a really busy road. I couldn't see any parking spaces on the side all the way down so I took a left into a quiet road to park. When I was turning in I realised that it was a one way street. Anyway, luckily for me, there was no cars coming up. I had to drive down it and then found a bit with no cars parked and I done a Uturn and parked:rolleyes:.

I'm so lucky, I would've died of embarrassment if cars where coming towards me as they would have been :mad: at me and I would have had to reverse with the redest face ever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlasgowRangers)
    That reminded me of something I done a few days ago which I forgot about. I was driving through an area I hadn't been before (I've been, but not as a driver) and I was on a really busy road. I couldn't see any parking spaces on the side all the way down so I took a left into a quiet road to park. When I was turning in I realised that it was a one way street. Anyway, luckily for me, there was no cars coming up. I had to drive down it and then found a bit with no cars parked and I done a Uturn and parked:rolleyes:.

I'm so lucky, I would've died of embarrassment if cars where coming towards me as they would have been :mad: at me and I would have had to reverse with the redest face ever.
    haha that would have been so embarrassing i would have just reversed and kept looking the other way then just avoid looking at them in the eye:P
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ran over a few people here and there.
    Nothing too unusual.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stalled the works car coming out a petrol station, the car stalls for no reason so wasn't my fault.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Scraped the side of a car on a bollard... the next day the wheel trim fell off. Oops.

But I'm always making mistakes, mainly from not paying attention. But I've never had an 'accident'. *touches wood* *thanks the lord*
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Letting drivers in front of me, just being nice, only for them to drive at a snails pace.

Buying a car that often cuts out in the first 10 minutes of driving if you go above 2000rpm.

Overtaking a bus that was still in a bus stop that decided to pull out and scrape the side of my car without indicating.

Changing a radio station and not seeing a traffic cone, now have a little crack in the bumper.

Driving out of the way of a pheasant, only for it to follow my path and hit my bumper.

Numerous wrong exits on roundabouts or wrong turnings as caused by the worst sat nav in the world.

letting some of my mates get in the car with me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I drove through a red light today
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do that from time to time. Not if there's a safety camera or if it's not safe... Sometimes it's better/safer to go through an amber or red than it is to stop. The way I see if by not stopping I'm saving fuel and reducing co2 emissions haha.

was the neg really needed? It is sometimes safer to go through an amber/changing to red than to suddenly stop, especially if you have someone up your tail, not to mention better for the environment/pocket and wear and tear on the car. Not talking about going through red lights because I can't be bothered to stop. I go by what is safest.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Omg the worst thing I did was park in front of some ones garage and right next to me was a caravan. It had some metal ball thing sticking out you know the things that are used to pull it with a car.

I reversed out full locked and I thought I was like far away from the caravan only to realise as I was reversing the side of my car was scraping that metal ball thing sticking out.

I was so Peed off wondering who the hell parks a bloody a stupid caravan there.

Now I have a big hairy disgusting ugly scratch on the side of my passenger seat !!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persov)
    Letting drivers in front of me, just being nice, only for them to drive at a snails pace.

Buying a car that often cuts out in the first 10 minutes of driving if you go above 2000rpm.

Overtaking a bus that was still in a bus stop that decided to pull out and scrape the side of my car without indicating.

Changing a radio station and not seeing a traffic cone, now have a little crack in the bumper.

Driving out of the way of a pheasant, only for it to follow my path and hit my bumper.

Numerous wrong exits on roundabouts or wrong turnings as caused by the worst sat nav in the world.

letting some of my mates get in the car with me.
    Blaming everyone but yourself
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sclez1)
    Blaming everyone but yourself
    of course

have had a few close calls driving on ice that defiantly were my fault though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had a truck ignore give way lines and come out of a lay by onto a dual carriageway without noticing that I and a few other cars were on the lane he was trying to get onto and so I crashed into him as there wasn't room for me to move lanes -_-

Once I missed a turning one a roundabout twice so I ended up going around it twice *headdesk*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooneyouknow)
    Had a truck ignore give way lines and come out of a lay by onto a dual carriageway without noticing that I and a few other cars were on the lane he was trying to get onto and so I crashed into him as there wasn't room for me to move lanes -_-

Once I missed a turning one a roundabout twice so I ended up going around it twice *headdesk*
    What did the insurance say? did it go in your favour?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueUnitedFan)
    What did the insurance say? did it go in your favour?
    Well he works for a company who's policy is to deny liability at first and we're still sorting out the claim forms right now but the police had to come to the scene as my car was in a bit of a dangerous position on a busy road and the policeman said it was the other drivers fault and has written a report for the insurers saying as such so hopefully it will go in my way I've lost a very nice car because of that man.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.