Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accent

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wish i still had a accent, but that just seems stupid to change your accent without moving to a new location in which case you don't attempt to pick it up you just do?

I lived in wales for 7-8 years, then moved back to england... been here for 3-4 years now, and lost my accent completly around 2 years ago? :\ but then, when i play xbox with certain people.. I pick that accent up.. Got to the point of last year, every time i finished playing xbox... I had my family taking the p out of me for having a completely different accent
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is a 'neutral' accent?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No strangely, because I'm not a ****er. I know I sound a bit west country and tend to use a lot of "northernisms" and thats fine.
    Made me laugh some brummies once told me I sound like a posh farmer.

I don't quite get why you'd want to sound "english and proper" the sort of douche who cares about that isn't worth knowing, like all these workshy ****ers you see on shows like "made in chelsea" and "the only way is arse sex"
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PianoKeys4)
    What on earth is a 'neutral' accent?!
    An accent that doesn't have a distinct regional edge.
    • 10 followers

If you really must, then study the book: Gimson's Pronunciation of English.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I normally speak with RP that is with a fairly patrician voice; for the lulz i might do it with a French accent
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lets face it, the only high profile tory anyone thinks has any brains is william hague... And he's got a yorkshire accent.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I did it at age 12, so most of my friends hadn't known me for long anyway (secondary school) and my parents didn't really react. I'm now 19 and it has stuck, people find it hard to believe that I changed my accent so that must be a good sign. I wanted to cut out slang and sound like I could speak properly, so for me I attempted to bring in words I'd read in books etc. that were a bit less usual and every time I used a slang term I restated the sentence without the term present. As far as the enunciation goes, just correct yourself everytime you miss a letter.
    Ah that's good not keen to be labelled a snob because of it!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamNameless)
    I wish i still had a accent, but that just seems stupid to change your accent without moving to a new location in which case you don't attempt to pick it up you just do?

I lived in wales for 7-8 years, then moved back to england... been here for 3-4 years now, and lost my accent completly around 2 years ago? :\ but then, when i play xbox with certain people.. I pick that accent up.. Got to the point of last year, every time i finished playing xbox... I had my family taking the p out of me for having a completely different accent
    (Original post by Megaross)
    No strangely, because I'm not a ****er. I know I sound a bit west country and tend to use a lot of "northernisms" and thats fine.
    Made me laugh some brummies once told me I sound like a posh farmer.

I don't quite get why you'd want to sound "english and proper" the sort of douche who cares about that isn't worth knowing, like all these workshy ****ers you see on shows like "made in chelsea" and "the only way is arse sex"
    I just want to ensure that I can be understood by people overseas when it comes to international travel in the future.

And I don't think I'm a douche for wanting to do the best for my career
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I did it at age 12, so most of my friends hadn't known me for long anyway (secondary school) and my parents didn't really react. I'm now 19 and it has stuck, people find it hard to believe that I changed my accent so that must be a good sign. I wanted to cut out slang and sound like I could speak properly, so for me I attempted to bring in words I'd read in books etc. that were a bit less usual and every time I used a slang term I restated the sentence without the term present. As far as the enunciation goes, just correct yourself everytime you miss a letter.
    Listen to tory88.

Really good advice!
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngtory)
    Ah that's good not keen to be labelled a snob because of it!
    Do what's best for you. If people label you due to your change of accent (it works both ways), then they're not worth your time. Snobiness is not a nice trait, however that's characterised by actions/attitude; you just want to change your accent for you. There isn't anything wrong with that.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    like all these workshy ****ers you see on shows like "made in chelsea" and "the only way is arse sex"
    To be fair, I would not class them as 'English and proper'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Listen to tory88.

Really good advice!
    Will do!

Do what's best for you. If people label you due to your change of accent (it works both ways), then they're not worth your time. Snobiness is not a nice trait, however that's characterised by actions/attitude; you just want to change your accent for you. There isn't anything wrong with that.
    Thanks a lot for your advice can I ask, what is your accent like?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just want to ensure that I can be understood by people overseas when it comes to international travel in the future.

And I don't think I'm a douche for wanting to do the best for my career
    What makes you think it'll make you any more understood by people overseas?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to change my accent from having a distinct regional twinge to a "neutral" English accent (not quite RP but something which sounds professional) - how would I go about doing this? :confused:

Has anyone else changed the way they speak in the past?
    I honestly wouldn't worry about your accent, it will have almost no effect on the rest of your life. I think regional accents are better and more interesting, where as I sound like a pretentious Pratt. Just be happy the way your are, but if it bothers you that much you could have eloctuion lessons
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will do!

Thanks a lot for your advice can I ask, what is your accent like?
    Hmm, I don't really have an accent as such; I'm softly spoken and pronounce words clearly/properly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I don't really have an accent as such; I'm softly spoken and pronounce words clearly/properly.
    That's just what I'm going for too
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think it'll make you any more understood by people overseas?
    I've been on holiday to various countries and people have struggled with my accent. I suppose I already started changing my speech patterns by how I type, as most of my friends use slang and abbreviations when online/texting which I've completely cut out of my speaking patterns.

(Original post by Jammyj12)
    I honestly wouldn't worry about your accent, it will have almost no effect on the rest of your life. I think regional accents are better and more interesting, where as I sound like a pretentious Pratt. Just be happy the way your are, but if it bothers you that much you could have eloctuion lessons
    Why do you think you sound like a pretentious prat? There's nothing wrong with speaking clearly and correctly. And pretentiousness comes down to personality, not accent in my opinion!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think you sound like a pretentious prat? There's nothing wrong with speaking clearly and correctly. And pretentiousness comes down to personality, not accent in my opinion!
    I have been told I do before, it is just an impression that you can get from a relavitly "posh" accent as people assume your stuck up and judge you before getting to know you. I'm just say that accents really don't matter
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a weird accent it was a mixture of many places but I learnt to get rid of mine by singing .... I am a terrible singer but my accent vanishes for some reason :lol: try it

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.