The Student Room Group

A levels and recommendation

Heys, im going to start my A - levels which are:

Maths & Statistics
Biology
Chemistry

For my forth A level i might do geography OR economics

How ever, I don't know whats it like :s-smilie:

I personally would go for geography but I'm weary because it might a "Soft subject "

And economics can help in every day issues :P

In addition, im going to Greenshaw high school college, if there is anyone who is studying / did can you tell me what's is like EG teaching / behavior

THANKS
Reply 1
Original post by Sheel1
Heys, im going to start my A - levels which are:

Maths & Statistics
Biology
Chemistry

For my forth A level i might do geography OR economics

How ever, I don't know whats it like :s-smilie:

I personally would go for geography but I'm weary because it might a "Soft subject "

And economics can help in every day issues :P

In addition, im going to Greenshaw high school college, if there is anyone who is studying / did can you tell me what's is like EG teaching / behavior

THANKS

Chemistry and Geography have a large overlap, people who i know that do well in one do well in the other, but its up to you really because there could be an overlap between maths and economics.
Reply 2
Biology and geography also have an overlap :] And geography is certainly not a 'soft' subject
Reply 3
Original post by ch0wm4n
Chemistry and Geography have a large overlap, people who i know that do well in one do well in the other, but its up to you really because there could be an overlap between maths and economics.

Original post by Madmia
Biology and geography also have an overlap :] And geography is certainly not a 'soft' subject

Thanks you two :wink: , im going to study geography then ! I as well just study economics at home then :P
Original post by Sheel1

Geography is certainly not a soft subject. And depending on what topics you do, it can end up having a huge overlap with biology - particularly the ecological side of things (habitats, food chains, carbon/nitrogen cycles).

Both econ and geography have a HUGE amount of memory work involved so be prepared for that.
Reply 5
Original post by purplefrog
Geography is certainly not a soft subject. And depending on what topics you do, it can end up having a huge overlap with biology - particularly the ecological side of things (habitats, food chains, carbon/nitrogen cycles).

Both econ and geography have a HUGE amount of memory work involved so be prepared for that.

Im not going to do boths ( in case your wondering ) but im going to do geography.

I never new that geography has a huge memory work involved :O

erm, if geo over laps bio wouldn't that mean universities prefer a variety instead of overlapping subjects because the A levels would have been a bit easier then?
Original post by Sheel1
Im not going to do boths ( in case your wondering ) but im going to do geography.

I never new that geography has a huge memory work involved :O

erm, if geo over laps bio wouldn't that mean universities prefer a variety instead of overlapping subjects because the A levels would have been a bit easier then?

I never assumed you were doing both.
Geography does indeed entail a lot of memory work. If you did the GCSE, you will have had case studies. Case studies also appear in A level Geog too. And there are lots of them. You will also have to remember lots of standard definitions and statistics too to nab some easy marks, especially in essay questions but also in structured questions too.

Universities genuinely wouldn't care. They don't know the ins and outs of every syllabus and it may transpire you don't even cover the ecology topics in one course. The overlap is minute in the grand scheme of things and it's not like the overlap between PE/Biology or Business/Econ. While each of the respective pairs are distinct subjects, there is considerable overlap in the courses (perhaps more so with PE/Biology).
Reply 7
[QUOTE=purplefrog;37172214If you did the GCSE, you will have had case studies. Case studies also appear in A level Geog too. And there are lots of them. You will also have to remember lots of standard definitions and statistics too to nab some easy marks, especially in essay questions but also in structured questions too.

Yh im doing case studies right now ( A* & b's ) but i do get pretty annoyed of them, are there twice or three times as many?

Standard definitions i have no problem with it unless its harder than GDP, LEDC and them ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest