Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Top Uni For Economics Outside 'The Top 5'

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Best Uni For Economics Outside The Top 5
    Durham
    28.13%
    Bristol
    20.31%
    Bath
    14.06%
    Nottingham
    28.13%
    None Of These
    9.38%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And which other universities are better than the above ? Its not a matter of question that the above 5 are the best , they are the best ...
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackflash23)
    As the title says...
    Best UK Universities for Economics (and related degrees) outside Oxbridge, LSE, and UCL/Warwick. Even though there are many people who see other unis better than UCL/Warwick, people generally seem to agree as these are the top 5.
    Which universities do many people think are better than Warwick/UCL for economics (outside the top 5)?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a pretty meaningless poll anyway; it is like asking which is better out of UCL and Warwick. The four universities you mention probably form their own sub group after the top 5 as they are all very similar, but the point is that they are not in the top 5.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a huge difference between those four unis you've offered, you can't go wrong with any of them. As they're so close academically, you'd be better off choosing the one you like the most generally, that'd bring you more benefits than university/reputation. They're all quite different places so it'd be silly to go somewhere for a tiny increase in reputation (if any) and hating the university.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    durham is more prestigous however being so far north it is harder to get good jobs in london
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Durham on the basis of their course should not be on that list.

Purely on the technical quality of the course I would say Bristol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Which universities do many people think are better than Warwick/UCL for economics (outside the top 5)?
    i am second year econ student at durham. Durham is as close to warwick as u can get. Those ba bull**** is not true
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Durham on the basis of their course should not be on that list.

Purely on the technical quality of the course I would say Bristol.
    mate u didnt go to durham, so just say sth you know
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09001904)

i am second year econ student at durham. Durham is as close to warwick as u can get. Those ba bull**** is not true
    Lol
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    I carefully looked up the course, as I did think about applying there, and realised it was weak on rigorous mathematical content compared to other comporable unis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    I carefully looked up the course, as I did think about applying there, and realised it was weak on rigorous mathematical content compared to other comporable unis.
    haha that is fair enough. pretty much what i thought 3 years ago. i rejected warwick before firming durham. if you set your mind which course is more mathematically rigourous, then durham is probably not as quantitative as other top unis.
    when you get towards the second half your degree, you will realise it all boils downs to the individuals.
    hope this helps! btw, wasnt trying to be a dick in the previous post, sorry if came off a bit like that
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    The poll results sum this up nicely so far.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are bristol and nottingham soo similar .. i'm so stuck on which to pick
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how does Manchester compare to these?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I day say it makes absolutely dick all difference at the undergrad level.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjunior)
    Why are bristol and nottingham soo similar .. i'm so stuck on which to pick
    Bristol is a cooler place and has a better course, if you like maths.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Durham is in a category above the other three I'd say. Probably add Exeter to that list as well.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adc)
    Durham is in a category above the other three I'd say. Probably add Exeter to that list as well.
    Durham's course is probably the worst of the lot listed; it's offered by the Business School rather than the School of Social sciences, and if you look at the degree content, that means there are a lot of Business, accounting and Management modules throughout the degree than at the other places.

From a brief look at their module list, you can't take any econometrics modules until your third year, whereas at the other three, you'll be doing econometrics from year 1, and there is a lot more maths content throughout the degree.

Durham University is probably better as a whole than the others listed, but it's Economics course isn't as good, unless you want a lot of business in it.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    Durham's course is probably the worst of the lot listed; it's offered by the Business School rather than the School of Social sciences, and if you look at the degree content, that means there are a lot of Business, accounting and Management modules throughout the degree than at the other places.

From a brief look at their module list, you can't take any econometrics modules until your third year, whereas at the other three, you'll be doing econometrics from year 1, and there is a lot more maths content throughout the degree.

Durham University is probably better as a whole than the others listed, but it's Economics course isn't as good, unless you want a lot of business in it.
    This is spot on, I was just too lazy to write it!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.