The Student Room Group

London Buses "Anti-Gay advertisement"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Architecture-er
I'm Christian, and I think this is so wrong.

Yet more Christians who breeze over the "love your neighbour" in their blind stupidity.

No-one doesn't love the gay people. They just don't like their sexuality.
Reply 21
This is on the same level as the atheist campaign a few years ago, "There's probably no god." Not the right place for these thoughts. :nope:

<3 x
TfL have said they're not going to run it.

https://twitter.com/#!/TfLofficial/status/190488435159597057
Reply 23
Original post by ohirome
Whilst I'm all for freedom of speech, this stuff is ridiculous and only serves to cause more problems long term. Anyone who believes this process works needs to get a reality check. Its also disgusting that they've hijacked one of the best anti-homophobia campaigns of recent years and turned it into something completely unchristian.

In a way, it does more good than bad. No-one, literally no-one, will be influenced by it's message. However, it does go to highlight how backwards the groups are that send the message and may provoke a backlash. It will only work in one direction and that is against the group that are funding it!!
Reply 24
What is society coming to? :no:
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
Isn't nothing personal to gay people, it's just a religious thing. A person can't pick and choose what part of their religion that they wish to believe and practice now can they?

The Rev Lynda Rose, a spokesperson for the UK branch of Anglican Mainstream said because her group adheres to scripture that all fornication outside marriage is prohibited, it believes that homosexuals are "not being fully the people God intended us to be".

1 Corinthians 14:34,35 and 1 Timothy 2:11,12 FORBID women to hold ANY religious authority.

It seems like there's been a bit of picking and choosing what bits to follow there.
I'm not sure anyone will understand it.
****ing religion makes me so angry.
And some people have the ignorance to say religion is bad for society!

<sarcasm/> in case you didn't notice :facepalm2:
(edited 12 years ago)
this is just sick... shouldn't be allowed on the basis it can cause serious harm to people... these "treatments" for being gay do.not.work.
they usually just cause pain and hardship and just disgusting really.
Reply 30
Isn't nothing personal to gay people, it's just a religious thing. A person can't pick and choose what part of their religion that they wish to believe and practice now can they?

You ignoramous. Jesus came, and wiped the Bible's commandments clean. Christ does not give examples of homophobia and discrimination. Christians should follow Christ.
I don't see any problem with it. Why is it anti-gay if some gay people want to try and become straight?
Reply 32
Original post by LETSJaM
This is on the same level as the atheist campaign a few years ago, "There's probably no god." Not the right place for these thoughts.

The Atheist Bus Campaign didn't come from nowhere, though. It was a direct response to adverts on the side of busses that gave a link to a religious website that said that non-believers are destined for eternal suffering. Thinking that this wasn't the kind of thing that people should be worried by, the campaign was a "chill out" response - there's probably no god, so just relax.

More here.
Original post by Miracle Day
http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/12/christian-anti-gay-ads-buses?cat=world&type=article

All I have to say is SMH.

And if your name is DYKWIA, bugger off.

Made me laugh :tongue:
freedom of speech, when homosexuality was looked down upon by society they were eventually allowed to put posters up, and considering the church holds their view which is still expressed by many, why can't they counter against it? Maybe some gay men fell as though they don't want to be? have you thought of that, so maybe the church can offer them a way of having a family etc if it makes the person happier? On the point about people coming from abroad, they would find it more offensive to have posters being pro-gay as lets take for example middle eastern countries are massively against homosexuality... You can't expect everyone to not be ignorant to the fact gays don't really harm people, just because you are it's quite closed minded to not allow others their view point, don't you think?
Reply 35

Er, most christians make cherry picking look like a profession.
Original post by angelbones
1 Corinthians 14:34,35 and 1 Timothy 2:11,12 FORBID women to hold ANY religious authority.

It seems like there's been a bit of picking and choosing what bits to follow there.

That's not a new revelation (pun unintended). A majority of the Christians/Catholics, especially when arguing with Atheists, always pick and choose certain parts of the Bible that they feel relevant to their debate yet completely disregard any other quotes that the opposing side bring up.
Unfortunately, it's hard to reason with someone who believes that the Earth is 10,000 years old and was created by an invisible man.
Reply 38
Original post by internetguru
I don't see any problem with it. Why is it anti-gay if some gay people want to try and become straight?

Because...

1. Thats impossible. You can't go from gay to straight, just how you cant go from straight to gay. Some may deny their sexuality, but its not fluid.
2. The intentions of this are incredibly damaging. One prime example is young gay people who may be struggling with their sexuality could see this and see a way out of their pain...when in fact its just going to make their situation ten times worse.
3. They are most certainly a homophobic organisation. A heterosexual organisation that revolves around trying to undo homosexuality? Come on now.
Original post by Miracle Day
You ignoramous. Jesus came, and wiped the Bible's commandments clean. Christ does not give examples of homophobia and discrimination. Christians should follow Christ.

You ignoramus. Ignoramus is written typed how I did.
I am not Christian. Therefore I do not believe in the Bible and the 'holiness' of Jesus having the last word. In my religion Jesus was simply a prophet who also did not approve of homosexuality.

No-one is discriminating mate...Don't try a make a massive fuss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending