The Student Room Group

London Buses "Anti-Gay advertisement"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by FuzzySheep
If I was homophobic, I would at least be more aware of the fact that things have changed in modern society, and that my views are no longer the majority, or well-received. Yeah, maybe some of them won't care at all, but I think it at least gives out that kind of message. The bluntness of it is what I think works the most.

If I was myself gay, and if I didn't know about Stonewall beforehand, I would feel that there was some place to gain information/support. I would probably feel that if I myself was in a stage of denial about my sexuality, that I should "get over it" too because it's something that doesn't matter as much as I had thought. Maybe the impact would be minimal here too on some people, it all varies with the individual and what their situation is.

The advert isn't "all in your face". It's short and blunt and gets to the point. Homophobia is a problem today, and affects a lot of people, it's not something that an advert should dither about.

I don't think you can beat homophobia (or racism, sexism etc) by simply drowning out those opinions. I suppose it does depend on what you mean by 'beat' though, do you want to effectively convert people from bigotry, or just let bigots be bigots and ignore explicit bigotry, hoping that their actions behind the scenes come to nothing.
Original post by Hopple
I don't think you can beat homophobia (or racism, sexism etc) by simply drowning out those opinions. I suppose it does depend on what you mean by 'beat' though, do you want to effectively convert people from bigotry, or just let bigots be bigots and ignore explicit bigotry, hoping that their actions behind the scenes come to nothing.

I think you're right there, changing bigoted opinions is near impossible. I do just think that the adverts themselves will make people think, even if just for a second and even if it doesn't change anything radically. I think the ads are more a comment on how society is more accepting of homosexuality now and that people should just get used to it and that any attempts to suppress it are pointless. So I'd say trying to reduce the amount of openly expressed bigotry and homophobia would be the main aim of it.
Original post by hamzazulfiqar
if muslims had done this the british public would have gone ape. fcking hypocrites.

Don't even try it.

This doesn't in any way indicate anything anti Islam. Get over it!
Original post by cosmobear92
They're all over Ealing, like the bus that runs in my area is plastered with it. I was wondering what the deal behind it was :holmes:

And the thing is, that advert is pretty dated now. I remember one of my teachers having that poster in his classroom back in 2008. Now all of a sudden the adverts have been reintroduced in their thousands for some strange reason. :dontknow:
Original post by limetang
While it would be a good idea to keep bigoted views to yourself (if you hold them) I don't think it would be right to punish people for expressing views that are thought of by most civilised people to be wrong.

Original post by RandZul'Zorander
People don't keep their heterosexuality to themselves. People don't keep their religious values to themselves. Why is it that you arbitrarily decide that homosexuality is something that should be kept 'to ourselves' but not other similar notions.

I think you fella's misunderstood. I mean as always with good intent.

Homosexuals should keep to themselves for their own good. I say this in light of recent findings of the increased level of;

- Homosexual bullying/harassment (especially online)/ which sadly leads to suicide.
- Homosexual increased depression leading to the intake of drugs[1]

As I present my case -

[INDENT]Numerous studies have shown that lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth have a higher rate of suicide attempts than do heterosexual youth. The Suicide Prevention Resource Center synthesized these studies and estimated that between 30 and 40% of LGB youth, depending on age and sex groups, have attempted suicide.[2] A U.S. government study, titled Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide, published in 1989, found that LGBT youth are four times more likely to attempt suicide than other young people.[3] This higher prevalence of suicidal ideation and overall mental health problems among gay teenagers compared to their heterosexual peers has been attributed to Minority Stress.[4][5] "More than 34,000 people die by suicide each year," making it "the third leading cause of death among 15 to 24 year olds with lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth attempting suicide up to four times more than their heterosexual peers."[6]

[/INDENT]
[INDENT="2"]
[INDENT]"LGBT students are three times as likely as non-LGBT students to say that they do not feel safe at school (22% vs. 7%) and 90% of LGBT students (vs. 62% of non-LGBT teens) have been harassed or assaulted during the past year."[11] In addition, "LGBQ students were more likely than heterosexual students to have seriously considered leaving their institution as a result of harassment and discrimination."[12] Susan Rankin, a contributing author to the report in Miami, found that “Unequivocally, The 2010 State of Higher Education for LGBT People demonstrates that LGBTQ students, faculty and staff experience a ‘chilly’ campus climate of harassment and far less than welcoming campus communities."[12][/INDENT]

I believe this is unfair, human beings should not have to go through such suffering, especially in such a "civilized society" we live in. However, it's not like you can suddenly change people's mindsets.

It is how it is, social rejection is a fundemental part of society that entails it's consequences without many solutions. Fighting for "gay rights" and "comming out" etc. Just isn't working out, society reacts negatively (as statistics show) suicide's are increasing and so is depression and drug intakes.

So when I said "they should keep to themselves", it's merely suggesting that they do what I would call a "don't say, don't tell" situation, where they mind their own business, and everyone else minds theirs. No one needs to know their gay or have a discussion about "gays" or anything. So it ends harassment, bullying etc.

Everyone in the end is happy and can live in peace. And ofcourse, suicides would also be significantly down the chart.

The other solution is they get their own island, and everyone is with common folks, feeling right at home. But, this is a bit unpractical I say.

So, please don't be so judgemental of me in regards to my intentions, I think that's very contradictory to the LGBT cause.

I only wish well, hope that cleared it up for you. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
All the hunger and violence in the world and they're obsessing about who other adults are shagging? Should have run the ads imo, it makes the church that wrote them look like idiots.
Reply 86
Original post by Perseveranze
snip

So so so many flaws right there. Like really. We should shut up so that we no longer face bigotry? How about we tackle the bigots instead of blaming the victims?
Reply 87

Homosexuals should keep to themselves for their own good. I say this in light of recent findings of the increased level of;

- Homosexual bullying/harassment (especially online)/ which sadly leads to suicide.

As I present my case -

[INDENT]Numerous studies have shown that lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth have a higher rate of suicide attempts than do heterosexual youth. The Suicide Prevention Resource Center synthesized these studies and estimated that between 30 and 40% of LGB youth, depending on age and sex groups, have attempted suicide.[2] A U.S. government study, titled Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide, published in 1989, found that LGBT youth are four times more likely to attempt suicide than other young people.[3] This higher prevalence of suicidal ideation and overall mental health problems among gay teenagers compared to their heterosexual peers has been attributed to Minority Stress.[4][5] "More than 34,000 people die by suicide each year," making it "the third leading cause of death among 15 to 24 year olds with lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth attempting suicide up to four times more than their heterosexual peers."[6]

[/INDENT]
[INDENT="2"]
[INDENT]"LGBT students are three times as likely as non-LGBT students to say that they do not feel safe at school (22% vs. 7%) and 90% of LGBT students (vs. 62% of non-LGBT teens) have been harassed or assaulted during the past year."[11] In addition, "LGBQ students were more likely than heterosexual students to have seriously considered leaving their institution as a result of harassment and discrimination."[12] Susan Rankin, a contributing author to the report in Miami, found that “Unequivocally, The 2010 State of Higher Education for LGBT People demonstrates that LGBTQ students, faculty and staff experience a ‘chilly’ campus climate of harassment and far less than welcoming campus communities."[12][/INDENT]

I believe this is unfair, human beings should not have to go through such suffering, especially in such a "civilized society" we live in. However, it's not like you can suddenly change people's mindsets.

It is how it is, social rejection is a fundemental part of society that entails it's consequences without many solutions.

So when I said "they should keep to themselves", it's merely suggesting that they do what I would call a "don't say, don't tell" situation, where they mind their own business, and everyone else minds theirs. No one needs to know their gay or have a discussion about "gays" or anything. So it ends harassment, bullying etc.

Everyone in the end is happy and can live in peace. And ofcourse, suicides would also be significantly down the chart.

The other solution is they get their own island, and everyone is with common folks, feeling right at home. But, this is a bit unpractical I say.

So, please don't be so judgemental of me in regards to my intentions, I think that's very contradictory to the LGBT cause. I only wish well, not my problem if you don't understand that.

Well if you really do have well meaning intentions I'm sure you will agree that it would be far, far better for homophobes to "keep it to themselves" because then homosexuals wouldn't get bullied, they wouldn't get depressed, and they wouldn't commit suicide or take drugs (well, except for fun).

Also surely the same applies to many other minority groups? Muslims also often suffer from abuse and bullying. By your logic, they should hide their religion and not talk about in order to avoid being bullied by islamophobes.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wonder if they'd have the gall to, if their views covered this, have adverts saying "Not black. Ex-black, post-black. Get over it!" for people who've bleached their skin to white?

Some religious groups make me SMH sometimes, they really do. Are they really so stupid that they believe what they're doing is right? They're the worst Christians ever - they have no consideration for others, they don't treat others as they'd want to be treated - they want everyone to live their lives, the way one select group want them to, which is incredibly selfish.
Your sexuality isn't something you can change. It's not a bad thing to be gay, and it shouldn't be seen that way when clearly no one chooses it. It doesn't affect anyone else, it's no harm to anyone else. So yeah, I would say that an advert which tries to change something that is perfectly harmless and is something that can't actually be changed is anti-gay and ignorant.

It's the same thing as there being an advert to encourage dark-skinned people to bleach their skin to become white. Your skin colour doesn't harm anyone, you can't change it. You wouldn't allow an advert like this, it's clearly racist. Why would you allow the anti-gay one?

Why is it assumed that people offering therapy to make people straight means they think being gay is a bad thing?

People offer sex change surgeries but does that means they think that being a certain sex is a bad thing?
Reply 90
Original post by Ilyas
This is the advent of the UK adopting Sharia Law!

You should probably read the link provided. It wasn't a Muslim campaign.

As I present my case -

[/INDENT]
[INDENT="2"]

It is how it is, social rejection is a fundemental part of society that entails it's consequences without many solutions.

So, please don't be so judgemental of me in regards to my intentions, I think that's very contradictory to the LGBT cause. I only wish well, not my problem if you don't understand that.

I don't mean to sound judgmental but using what you said, those were the logical implications. Now as for this. I agree that it is horrible and sad that the suicide rate, and mental-illness rates of LGBT youth are so high. And I won't deny that there is bullying that happens.

However what you are suggesting doesn't help the situation at all. People will still hold and express their views on homosexuality. These views and environments have been shown the cause mostly of the suicide rates and such. In addition to that what you are suggesting would imply that instead of addressing the bullying you want to keep people in the closet, which has also been shown to be psychologically damaging.

A similar example would be children who need glasses. Children with glasses have an increased chance of bullying and harassment in school. This can lead to increased amounts of depression and mental-illness. By your reasoning we should keep them from having glasses because then there is nothing to bully. Rather than addressing the bullying itself.

Your entire argument is backwards. The reason there is bullying is because people don't talk about things like sexual orientation and therefore don't realize that it's not acceptable to bully people. By addressing the bullying and harmful environments then you can reduce the suicide rates and not have to suppress people. After all what i said is still true. heterosexuals do not have to hide their sexual orientation. Logically there is not reasons then that homosexuals, bisexuals, or asexuals etc. should have to either.
Original post by internetguru
Why is it assumed that people offering therapy to make people straight means they think being gay is a bad thing?

People offer sex change surgeries but does that means they think that being a certain sex is a bad thing?

That's a completely different example. People who have sex changes do so because they want to feel more comfortable in their bodies. That's a more psychological matter. People choose to change their sex because they do it for themselves. Not only that, but it's pretty damn clear that sex change surgeries work.

People offering therapy to change a sexuality, something that cannot be changed at all, are ignorant of that fact. A "therapy" to change sexuality is more brainwashing and isn't successful anyway. People who usually offer "therapy" to change a sexuality are usually motivated by religious reasons. This group want to change the fact someone's gay to fit into their view of how the world should be. Can you demonstrate in any example at all where someone who offers someone a "therapy" to change the fact they're gay is doing so because they genuinely want to help, and aren't motivated by anything else? :rolleyes:
Original post by TheHansa
You should probably read the link provided. It wasn't a Muslim campaign.

Hah! you see, it is working. For a change this big they don't just bloat it out, they instill it subliminally.
That's a completely different example. People who have sex changes do so because they want to feel more comfortable in their bodies. That's a more psychological matter. People choose to change their sex because they do it for themselves. Not only that, but it's pretty damn clear that sex change surgeries work.

People offering therapy to change a sexuality, something that cannot be changed at all, are ignorant of that fact. A "therapy" to change sexuality is more brainwashing and isn't successful anyway. People who usually offer "therapy" to change a sexuality are usually motivated by religious reasons. This group want to change the fact someone's gay to fit into their view of how the world should be. Can you demonstrate in any example at all where someone who offers someone a "therapy" to change the fact they're gay is doing so because they genuinely want to help, and aren't motivated by anything else? :rolleyes:

And people sign up to these gay change things because they feel uncomfortable with being gay which is also a psychological matter.

It doesn't matter whether it is successful or not that is entirely irrelevant.
Reply 95
Original post by Ilyas
Hah! you see, it is working. For a change this big they don't just bloat it out, they instill it subliminally.

The ****?

Are you saying this thread was a false flag op designed to make people believe the you-know-wh000slims were behind this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by internetguru
And people sign up to these gay change things because they feel uncomfortable with being gay which is also a psychological matter.

It doesn't matter whether it is successful or not that is entirely irrelevant.

They feel uncomfortable because they think there's something wrong with them, that there's a societal/religious pressure which advocates that they shouldn't be the way they are, because a small group simply believe it is wrong or unnatural.

It's entirely relevant, because it proves that this therapy doesn't exist, and the fact that people still think they can advertise is shows the amount of stupidity and ignorance they have. It's a complete lie.

And I see you didnt give an example of where someone offering this "therapy" isn't guided by their view of the world should be.
Reply 97
Can someone explain to me:

1) How this is "homophobic", exactly? Or what is actually morally wrong with the claims being made.

2) How many people in this thread know anything about the biological basis of homosexuality.

3) Why it's ok (great, in fact) to broadly promote homosexual behaviour but not ok to broadly discourage it?
They feel uncomfortable because they think there's something wrong with them, that there's a societal/religious pressure which advocates that they shouldn't be the way they are, because a small group simply believe it is wrong or unnatural.

It's entirely relevant, because it proves that this therapy doesn't exist, and the fact that people still think they can advertise is shows the amount of stupidity and ignorance they have. It's a complete lie.

And I see you didnt give an example of where someone offering this "therapy" isn't guided by their view of the world should be.

People are always trying to reach perfection. Breast implants, nose surgery, height lengthening surgery, anti psychotic pills etc. Plenty of things exist today to enable people to change their appearance and personality to reach so called perfection. It just so happens that being straight is part of being our society's perfection. People are allowed to do what they want as long as it doesn't result in physical injury or reduction in the freedom of others. If someone wants the false hope that they can reach perfection then I say let them have it.
Reply 99
The fact that this is allowed to be advertised makes me so sad. It just encourages prejudice. And the campaign they're copying it off was so good, too... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending