Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Find out about the latest improvements to TSR

Announcements Posted on
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

We've been really busy recently and have made loads of site updates for you, many based on what you told us you wanted to see. These were are added to the site last night and are now available for you to use.

You'll find full details of the work below. Many are new features or improvements to make your experience better, some are bug fixes, whilst others optimise the site to make it work better.

Let us know what you think!

These are the big improvements or changes you might notice. Many are things some of you have been asking to have for quite a while. We hope you like them and please shout about them to let other members know too!
    • If your posts ends up in the queue for any reason you will usually now be sent a PM telling you when a moderator has processed it. If it's allowed on the site you will be told this and given a link to it. If it's not allowed through you will also be told this (and eventually provided with a link to the FAQs suggesting the top reasons why something is declined by the moderation team).
    • When stopping to watch a thread or a forum by clicking on the 'stop watching' buttons in the Watched Thread and Watched forum widgets you will now be asked to confirm you want to stop watching. This should prevent you accidentally stopping watching something.
    • You will have the option to change the 'Explore TSR' expandable menu in to a visible bar of links, like we used to have. The option can be set on the 'Edit options' page.
    • Your watched thread settings will automatically be applied to any threads you create or post in when using the anonymous feature. No more losing threads you post anonymously in due to not being set to watch them!
    • When posting using the anonymous feature in a thread, you will find the anonymous tick box automatically ticked if you go to reply to the thread again, making it harder to accidentally reveal yourself in the thread.
    • The report icon has been changed to something bigger and more obvious on a post and private message.
    • When a moderator updates or leaves a comment on a report you made you will now receive a message in the notification widget to say a report has been updated. The message will be cleared if you read the 'My Reports' page.
    • A member who is banned from the rep system will now not be able to give out reputation, as well as not being able to receive it.
    • Quoted text will no longer appear in search results the results returned will only contain matches in the actual post content. This will apply to new posts initially and we'll eventually reindex old posts to make it work for those too.
    • When clicking through to the 'Advanced search' page from the 'Search this forum' search box on a forum page the forum you came from will be pre-selected.
    • We've added the option to have global threads - a thread which will be visible and can be replied to in every forum on the site. It'll be used in exceptional circumstances for very important threads.
    • Moderators will be able to temporarily set words at different times of year to make matches of those words within thread titles make those threads go in to the post/thread moderation queue before they appear on the site.
    • When using the WYSIWYG text editor, the strike through code, superscript code and subscript code will now work properly.
    • A new student housing tab has been implemented and will be appearing on the site in the coming weeks.

We've also fixed a number of bugs some of you might be interested in:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Edit buttons on wiki articles will have their fix properly added to the site code, so they once again work.
    • Mods will be able to access the Mod Box archieve.
    • Images in IE8 in posts are now automatically resized like in other browsers to make sure they don't stretch the page as much.
    • A fix to properly align icons on the notifications widget is made.
    • Counter for the number of albums are displaying now start at 1 instead of 0.
    • A slight error in the layout of the shoutbox tabs for moderators was corrected.
    • In the private message quick reply box, words are no longer being split across two lines.
    • A fix was put in place to make key buttons (such as 'complete registration' and the search 'go' button) work properly in IE7.
    • The link to read a whole thread when on a 'post a reply' page has been corrected.

We've made a load of optimisations, which should help speed up the site. If you're interested in this stuff, check them out below:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • LaTeX has been optimised to stop problems in generating formulae from slowing the whole site down.
    • The Who Quoted me queries have been adjusted to make them faster.
    • Shoutbox queries have been optimised to make them more efficient and not update the whole database table each time.
    • Members list has once again been cached so it'll update once a day. We've also blocked search engine spiders from viewing those pages as they different ordering options were intensive queries and often run by spiders.
    • The code for rendering the reputation gems was optimised.
    • Last activity details on profiles have been optimised so they update once a minute.
    • Optimisations also affect the emails we send out for instant email notifications for watched threads, meaning there could be a delay of up to 1 minute in them being sent.
    • The censored words are in the process of being reviewed as they have an impact on page load speed.
    • A bug which caused our credit plugin to update the whole user database table on each page load was corrected.
    • We've also made a few other changes affecting the display of who's active in a forum, the postbit updates and image sprites on thread and forum pages.

Our moderation team also do a great deal of work behind the scenes and we've made a number of improvements that will make their jobs a lot easier. If you're a mod (or just a little bit nosey) you can see what we've done for them in here:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Mods can pre-set threads to automatically open, close, be stuck, be unstuck and change the label at a set time in the future.
    • Mods will have the ability to see reported items grouped together so all reports for one item can be seen and commented on together.
    • Redirects on moved threads will be set to expire after 1 day, rather than the default setting being a permanent redirect.
    • When reporting a private message, a moderator will now see the date/time the private message was originally sent to provide more context.
    • Links to the 'Ask a Health and Relationships Mod' and 'Ask a Personal Statement Help Mod' forums have been added in to the site header and moderation tools widget for relevant moderators. There is also an indication to tell them when these forums contain new threads.
    • The mod tools on a thread page have been updated so the 'move' option is the pre-selected option as this is by far the most commonly used option.
    • The post/thread moderation queue will have a link to infraction tab on the profile of the person who made the post/thread.
    • The report queue will have a link to the infractions tab on the profile of the person who made the reported content.
    • All moderators will have the ability to remove a poll from a thread in the areas they moderate.
    • The moderator tools widget has been improved to provide more information and easier access to it, such as information on the last thread created in various moderator forums and information on how many of each type of report has been made. The social group mod queue has also been added.

For the mods, we've provided guides on how and when to use some of these new features. So if you're a mod, check out the mod area for these!
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    All of that is awesome
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice updates. Really like some of them!
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excellent :banana:
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to these updates!
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    :yy: Sounds good
    • 164 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking forward to this! :jive:
    • 87 followers

Loving all of this, especially the pre-set time openings on threads. Makes life SO much easier :excited:
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick update for you. Some of the optimisation work went live last night, but the other things haven't gone live yet. I will keep you posted on what is happening

Glad you're looking forward to the updates!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, these are amazing :excited:

(Original post by RK)
    • Quoted text will no longer appear in search results the results returned will only contain matches in the actual post content. This will apply to new posts initially and we'll eventually reindex old posts to make it work for those too.
    One thing about this one though - it can occasionally be useful to include quotes in searches. Would it be possible to have a tickbox selecting whether you wanted to search within quotes or not?
    • 48 followers

(Original post by Chrosson)
    Holy ****, these are amazing :excited:

One thing about this one though - it can occasionally be useful to include quotes in searches. Would it be possible to have a tickbox selecting whether you wanted to search within quotes or not?
    Out of interest, can you give me some examples of when this would be useful? I can't think that I've ever needed it. It's been a constant source of irritation for me that the quotes have been automatically included so I am glad to see the change, but I wonder whether perhaps I have benefited from it in some instances without realising...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur de lis)
    Out of interest, can you give me some examples of when this would be useful? I can't think that I've ever needed it. It's been a constant source of irritation for me that the quotes have been automatically included so I am glad to see the change, but I wonder whether perhaps I have benefited from it in some instances without realising...
    It is both helpful to see who has quoted a post in a big thread and also if a poster has used quote tags with a non-TSR quote in them (wikipedia paragraph for example) so you can search based on what you remember from said paragraph.
    • 48 followers

(Original post by Chrosson)
    It is both helpful to see who has quoted a post in a big thread and also if a poster has used quote tags with a non-TSR quote in them (wikipedia paragraph for example) so you can search based on what you remember from said paragraph.
    Hmm, I'm not sure I've ever needed it for either of those purposes but everyone uses TSR differently I guess!
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can see why it could be helpful as it can be used as a reminder if you need to look back on a post made ages ago in a big thread (that's the only time I've ever used it). However usually I hate the quote showing up as it looks like it is something I have said
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I second what Chrosson said. Searching the quotes as well, is very useful.
    • 164 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Just a quick update for you. Some of the optimisation work went live last night, but the other things haven't gone live yet. I will keep you posted on what is happening

Glad you're looking forward to the updates!
    Any idea on the timescale for the rest of the updates?
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have some good news. After a little delay, we should be in a position to see all this work go live tonight.

In addition to all the things previously mentioned, we've also got a couple of other optimisations in place and more importantly for you guys an extra piece of work regarding threads and posts which end up in the moderations queue.

If your posts ends up in the queue for any reason you will usually now be sent a PM telling you when a moderator has processed it. If it's allowed on the site you will be told this and given a link to it. If it's not allowed through you will also be told this (and eventually provided with a link to the FAQs suggesting the top reasons why something is declined by the moderation team).
    • 48 followers

(Original post by RK)
    I have some good news. After a little delay, we should be in a position to see all this work go live tonight.

In addition to all the things previously mentioned, we've also got a couple of other optimisations in place and more importantly for you guys an extra piece of work regarding threads and posts which end up in the moderations queue.

If your posts ends up in the queue for any reason you will usually now be sent a PM telling you when a moderator has processed it. If it's allowed on the site you will be told this and given a link to it. If it's not allowed through you will also be told this (and eventually provided with a link to the FAQs suggesting the top reasons why something is declined by the moderation team).
    Yay! :party:
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    That is an excellent idea! Really glad that one is going to be put in place :yep:
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    That is an excellent idea! Really glad that one is going to be put in place :yep:
    It will also work for members who post anonymously too, with the PM being sent to the original author, not the anonymous account.

This, alongside the other improvements for anonymous posters, such as applying their thread watching rules to any threads they post in anonymously and automatically selecting to post additional posts as anonymous in threads they previously used the feature in, should really lead to things working better in the Health and Relationships sections!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Report a problem Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.