The Student Room Group

im scared to go to the gym :(

This is going to sound really stupid but i am scared to go to my gym.

I joined up and paid for 6 months and ive been to scared to use the membership.

Im quite chubby and overweight and I already have social anxiety problems, and im scared to go in and look like a noob- which i clearly am.

I know people are more occupied with themselves but when your fat and theres loads of fit people around you its really off putting :frown:

how do i overcome this? i want to start on my strength! Also, if your a guy would you be annoyed if someone asked you how to use the weights?

Sorry, i dont want to sound like an idiot im just a bit nervous!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
is there anyone who will go with you? when I first went I went with my cousins until I built up the courage to go on my own - now I think it's better on my own! :smile:
This is why owning a gym is such a lucrative business
Reply 3
Original post by pinkangelgirl

Im quite chubby and overweight and I already have social anxiety problems, and im scared to go in and look like a noob- which i clearly am.

I know people are more occupied with themselves but when your fat and theres loads of fit people around you its really off putting :frown:

how do i overcome this? i want to start on my strength! Also, if your a guy would you be annoyed if someone asked you how to use the weights?

No, everyone starts off as a noob, no one turns up to a gym knowing the ins and outs of it!

I'd go and bottle it up and when you do ask, they'll help you and you'll feel more relaxed.
Reply 4

Dw You don't sound like an idiot :smile:..I guess you should take someone with you..or just remind yourself that ppl at the gym, like you said, are more concerned with themselves so don't feel selfconscious - you could use their fitness as an inspiration for you :smile:
Original post by kiai8
is there anyone who will go with you? when I first went I went with my cousins until I built up the courage to go on my own - now I think it's better on my own! :smile:

no :frown: all my friends memberships have ran out and no one is renewing :frown:

but im at uni all summer so i wanted to join a gym and do something practical
Reply 6

I was like this for about 2 years, just scared to go cause I was fat. My friends had been going for a while & they brought me so obv. I was far behind. But it was fine. Just go. And no people who go to gym generally go for their ego and so asking someone how to use the weights shouldnt annoy them. Theres diagrams on most of the machines where I go anyway.
I had this problem. I got over it by putting my music really loud and researching on the internet what I wanted to do beforehand so I wouldn't be standing there like a lemon trying to decide on the spot. Go in with a goal and your music loud and just get on with it.
Reply 8

OP don't be nervous, I had loads of pre-conceptions that the gym was muscly guys doing gun shows and thin, gorgeous women with skimpy clothing, there are :tongue: but most people just focus on their exercise. From my experience the gym is so diverse, young people - old age pensioners, skinny to obese whatever, but maybe take a friend? If your with someone you know it'll be more of a laugh and you'll forget all the others and just have a good time. Hope that helps, and good luck! :smile:
I'm scared too, but no one looks at you or cares what you are doing. Everyone just gets on with their own things.

You can't be as silly as me and accidentally push the emergency stop button on the treadmill while reaching for your ipod and then spend the next 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened - no one even noticed me do this! And if they did, no one obviously stared! :smile:
Reply 10

First of all - you're taking the initiative to join a gym - that's commendable and show's you want to start taking care of yourself! No one will act as if you don't belong there, if anything they'll be pleased for you that you're taking a step forward in regards to your health (if they do show any response at all that is - as you say many people zone out at the gym!)

Also, a load of gyms have trainers and instructors hanging around. If you don't feel comfortable asking a random person for help then ask them! They're there to be used and are more than willing to help you get started on how to use weights properly.

My advice is take your ipod/mp3 and make a pumped-up playlist and when you're at the gym - get focused on the music! You'll soon find yourself paying more attention to your own workout and getting the most done instead of worrying about how you look.

Please do not feel inadequate - EVERYONE starts somewhere. I used to be overweight myself but I am down to a healthy BMI and maintained for around 5 years now. When I went to the gym I felt so out of place but I reminded myself 'Well I'm doing something about it by being here in the first place!' Try to repeat that to yourself.

And you know what, everyones human. I bet you every single person in that gym has something they feel embarrassed about with their body but they do not let it affect what they want to do and you have the right as much as anyone else in there too.

Hope it goes well for you! x
Reply 11
I doubt anyone will take any notice.

Remember, insecurities are in your head: overcome them and you will be a more confident person.
aww thanks guys youve all made me feel much better!!

Im going to force myself to go on saturday and spend at least an hour there :smile:

sadly my MP3 player has broken ergh! But im going to go anyway :smile:

Thank you alllll
Reply 13
Guys at the gym are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror to notice anyone else :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by XXchachaXX
Guys at the gym are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror to notice anyone else :rolleyes:

And I'm too busy looking at you.

:colone:

u mad?
Don't worry about it, after your first couple of times there you will be fine. You soon realise no one is judging you or watching you etc. I was the same when I started working out.
Reply 16
You don't sound stupid at all! I've been going to the gym on and off for a while now and I still feel like an awkward fish sometimes. :tongue:

Once you get used to being there, you'll gradually become more comfortable with yourself and what you're doing. There should be people around to help you if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask!

Block out everyone else; this is for you, not for them. You need to focus on feeling good. It'll do wonders for you and it will really boost your confidence once you get into the swing of it all.

Good luck! :smile:
Is there anyone that can go with you? Maybe just the first few times stick to stuff that's easy to use - treadmills, cross-trainers, bikes etc (they're good for cardio workouts anyway!).

I'm sure guys will help you out with the weights, just say it's your first time and could they show you how to use them.

Also, people don't really stare at each other. Even if they do look at you, they should be admiring you for joining the gym on your own initiative and wanting to do a bit of self-improvement!

Have fun :smile:

P.S. Do you not have a gym induction? They should show you how to use everything
Reply 18

You overcome it by going to the gym. If you had asked me, first i would be surprised then I would help you out if i could tell it was sincere. There's no need to be nervous, most people understand that you start from somewhere. Also, make sure you ask someone who knows their ****.
Reply 19
Dude, stop being a ****ing pussy, don't let others rob the quality of your life, why do you give a **** what they think..

Latest