Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boris blocks homophobic bus ads

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I have to put my cards on the table and say that I'm rarely a supporter of the politics that Boris lends his name to, even if as a Labour party member I can admit I am nonetheless quite fond of the mans personality itself (Here come the negs?).. Anyway, here's an article that explains the fact that Boris just blocked some mildly offensive rubbish going onto the capitals buses and for that I have to salute him.. It has to be noted also how fast he's jumped on this - superb job..

What does everyone think about this and the advertisements themselves?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-boris-johnson
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Boris is great on this.

Cameron is great on gay marriage, and not bad on overseas aid.

Just goes to show that they're not totally evil. Nearly, but not completely.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travoot)
    Firstly I have to put my cards on the table and say that I'm rarely a supporter of the politics that Boris lends his name to, even if as a Labour party member I can admit I am nonetheless quite fond of the mans personality itself (Here come the negs?) [Here come the Pos's more like :p:].. Anyway, here's an article that explains the fact that Boris just blocked some mildly offensive rubbish going onto the capitals buses and for that I have to salute him.. It has to be noted also how fast he's jumped on this - superb job..

What does everyone think about this and the advertisements themselves?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-boris-johnson
    This has already been posted, but yes, solid one Boris. You da man..
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Mildly offensive'? :eyeball:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I felt he had not much choice. If he hadn't then he'd have faced a lot of criticism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ads arent homophobic! People overuse words like homophobic and racist so much that it takes away from the meaning of the words.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxelliexX)
    'Mildly offensive'? :eyeball:
    That's just how I decided to phrase it so I didn't get negged by a group of evangelicals.. Seeing as I've now been called up on it I may as well state that I find this attempted hate propaganda beyond disgusting and hold utter contempt for those who think you can 'cure' homosexuality.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian posting something positive about Boris? My mind is blown.

Nah, but well done Boris.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Good on him. There really is no place for homophobia in a developed society, some of the stuff I see happening in the USA still shocks me, hopefully we can set an example.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's just how I decided to phrase it so I didn't get negged by a group of evangelicals.. Seeing as I've now been called up on it I may as well state that I find this attempted hate propaganda beyond disgusting and hold utter contempt for those who think you can 'cure' homosexuality.
    Much better I don't understand why people are so scared of negs... you should just say what you mean
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeLaGhetto)
    The ads arent homophobic! People overuse words like homophobic and racist so much that it takes away from the meaning of the words.
    I think it's pretty dammed homophobic to insinuate that homosexuality is essentially an illness that can be treated or overcome.. This is the twenty thirst century and in my opinion campaigns like this will only become more prevalent as those hostile to homosexual rights become increasingly aware of their dwindling support.

(Original post by Tommo3)
    The Guardian posting something positive about Boris? My mind is blown.

Nah, but well done Boris.
    I know, it's quite refreshing to be honest, even if I'm not backing the Tory camp in the upcoming local/Mayoral elections I'd like to get a little less bias now and again.. I've grown a bit bored of the guardianista rhetoric as of late so this really did surprise me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I find it pretty sickening they deliberately twisted Stonewall's logo to make this ignorant ad. Really shows their lack of respect towards a charity which helps homosexuals - clearly the people who made these ads are not appreciating the gay community, as some people seem to think they are.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty dammed homophobic to insinuate that homosexuality is essentially an illness that can be treated or overcome..
    It never says that its an illness. Its just saying that there are people who have managed to change. And so people shouldnt be boxed into thinking that they were born gay, when they werent.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    well done bojo!!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It never says that its an illness. Its just saying that there are people who have managed to change. And so people shouldnt be boxed into thinking that they were born gay, when they werent.
    I follow what you're saying so maybe I've just read too much into the article itself. If so, then I apologise. However, in all honesty I do stand by what I said unless a consensus is built in favour of the notion that I've read too deeply into it.

On another note, I don't really get where you're coming from on the issue of people being 'boxed into it'.. Surely seeing as this controversy proves in itself that society is still hostile to homosexuality, then it stands to reason that no one can be pushed into thinking they're gay - if anything I'd think it goes in the other direction.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry but they were and are. people shouldn't be boxed into thinking it's something they have to treat and cure, that it's something that needs treatment... the people who usually take this route are people pressured by friends and family and other people in society into thinking being gay is wrong, eg. muslims, extreme christians, children of homophobes... people who will be disowned by family/friends..

this "treatment" usually causes a lot of pain and pretence that it has worked when really, it hasn't. then they feel inadequate because they are told it has worked for so and so... but inside they know it hasn't worked for them. in reality it has not worked for so and so either, so and so just say it has.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    But the people probably were born gay, and were compelled by a bunch of lunatics that it makes God upset, so they underwent repressive therapy with quacks and have probably damaged their mind quite a bit.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Boris, but kudos to him for this. That ASA OK'd it to start with really does perplex though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    I don't like Boris, but kudos to him for this. That ASA OK'd it to start with really does perplex though.
    You've got a good point, I would've thought that there would be some kind of framework that doesn't allow this kind of advertisement being allowed and the fact that it took the mayor to stand in and stop it doesn't speak wonders for the ASA. I guess when it comes to anything political there's shakey ground on whats alright and what's not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good move. Now if he'd ban the Wonga ads as well...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.