The Student Room Group

Maths at uni!

Hi, i've just received an offer to study maths next year at uni, I'm over the moon however I haven't taken further maths and I'm even finding C4 pretty challenging. I'm slightly worried that i will really struggle and as a result will have to work non-stop and will never leave my room, could somebody give me some sort of insight into what it's like to study maths at university.
Thanks
Original post by funksoulfreddy
Hi, i've just received an offer to study maths next year at uni, I'm over the moon however I haven't taken further maths and I'm even finding C4 pretty challenging. I'm slightly worried that i will really struggle and as a result will have to work non-stop and will never leave my room, could somebody give me some sort of insight into what it's like to study maths at university.
Thanks

Which University are you going to? They all have slightly different courses. Those that assume you have further maths when you arrive ask for it in their offers, so if you have an offer that doesn't include FM then it's safe to say your university won't assume you know the content from in and will be teaching from the end of the single maths syllabus.
Original post by funksoulfreddy
Thanks

Not trying to be rude in any way, but C4 is pretty much the same as C3. Did you enjoy C3?
Reply 3
My offer was from Sussex. I'm actually taking the whole A-level this year and started the a2 syllabus in feb:s-smilie: Why you ask? because i went to virtually no lessons last year and got a U in my AS, however when i retook it in jan i got an A, so the job is half done haha
Reply 4
and yeh i'm enjoying c3 it's just hard taking in so much information in a short period of time
Wow. Maths at uni. You're brave to be doing that......I suck at maths :frown:
Just had a quick look at the module list and it all seems to flow pretty naturally from C3 / C4 on the pure side and doesn't assume any knowledge of the Further Maths syllabus, although obviously if you can get hold of FP1-3 books for any of the examining bodies and read through them over the summer that would definitely help! Since you've managed to pull up from a U to an A then you're obviously used to hard work and independent study so you should be fine :smile: Which other A levels are you doing?
I'm sure you will be fine, A level maths is completely different, just keep practicing and it will come. Good luck.
Reply 8
Thanks for all the responses :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by boromir9111

You're such a troll.
Reply 10
Original post by boromir9111

:beard: hmmm

Quick Reply

Latest