Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does a (stereo)typical English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish person look like?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know why or what gives them away, but English people are very easy to spot for some reason. I can't put my finger on what it is about their appearance, but before they open their mouths I can guess nearly every time that they're English. I haven't noticed this so much with other countries. Bit bizarre.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marlena002)
    I honestly don't know why or what gives them away, but English people are very easy to spot for some reason. I can't put my finger on what it is about their appearance, but before they open their mouths I can guess nearly every time that they're English. I haven't noticed this so much with other countries. Bit bizarre.

Spot the english crowd
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amsterdam1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	141673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	802562227_31f8bb0e48.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	141676  
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)

Spot the english crowd
    2nd one? First one is definitely Dutch.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welsh/Scottish of celtic(?) origin - dark hair and short. English - blonde hair and blue eyes (obvously not as strong as scandinavian countries). Irish - ginger/pale skin/blue eyes.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really white and ugly. With bad teeth. Come at me, limeys.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really white?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

Like Willie!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Living in Canada, I've learned to pick Brits out of a crowd.
    There is indeed a certain look about (some of) us that's distinct from all other peoples.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Name:	Suleiman_Bulbulia-450x300.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	141727

stereotypical brit all right :yep:
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was gonna make the white joke! Got beaten to it :sigh:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    I think these countries are lacking in stereotypical aesthetics... like in general italians/swedes/germans/french have a certain look... but brits don't really.

i mean english/welsh more than scottish/irish because scottish and irish people have more of a defining look than english/welsh...

is it because we're more of a mishmash of genes? or am i wrong and we do have a defining look?
    you are wrong.

I fail to see how you can't tell that someone looks British, you even said oh the French look like X

I mean have you ever confused a English person with a Norwegian?

They just look 'not foreign'
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think these countries are lacking in stereotypical aesthetics... like in general italians/swedes/germans/french have a certain look... but brits don't really.

i mean english/welsh more than scottish/irish because scottish and irish people have more of a defining look than english/welsh...

is it because we're more of a mishmash of genes? or am i wrong and we do have a defining look?
    does a country need stereotypical aesthetics? other kinds already exist, theres already the tea drinking thing and such....

watch family guy, they take the piss by using using stereotypes when they bring english people into the show

if my memory is correct:
    english:
    thin
    white (<--ha )
    wears a suit
    crooked teeth
    blonde

look at peters dad for the irish
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A typical English person should be in appearance: quite pale skin (not Goth pale) but creamy white (English Rose), usually a heart-shaped face, quite defined cheek-bones but not really really obvious, I suppose a longish nose , roundish eyes (blue or green I suppose), brown or fair hair, thin and tallish. And in terms of mannerisms they should be: fairly quiet and reserved, quite prim and proper, guarded, never crying in public (with a few exceptions), quite private people in general, don't like to show much emotion in public, some would say 'cold', have to adore the Royal Family, be proud of their country, drink tea , can come across as a bit proud and stuck up, gracious and elegant, refined, a bit old fashioned BUT there's actually another version which I'm afraid represents the majority of the english (sorry this is what I've noticed): disturbingly pale complexion, overweight, frumpy, rotten brownish teeth, bad hygiene, arrogant for no reason (give it up, you don't have an Empire anymore), loud, boastful and foul mouthed, dreadful fashion sense, drunkards, have the ****test football national team of Europe
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    OP certainly didn't make the effort to differentiate.
    I mean, I am honestly shocked when the other Brits don't know there's a difference (not saying all of them don't, but still). If people who live literally 45 minites away don't know the difference then how can we expect anyone else to? :/ Explaining the Northern/Southern difference to an American is near-impossible, so I've just taken to saying 'I'm from Northern Ireland. I am not Irish. I am British. There's two different parts - like North and South America' which usually gets it across... (I keep getting asked when I'm on holiday because 'oh my god, your accent's adorable!')
    No joke, today in work an Indian guy asked me where I was from, and when I said NI he asked me if I had a machine gun. :sigh:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stereotypical Welshman: Short and wide, big shoulders and...big belly too. Think of an ageing rugby player.

And the same goes for the women! (I'm welsh btw, and I have noticed this!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Irish: round open faces, freckles, curly hair, pale skin.
    Who is this?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Some guy took thousands and thousands of images of people from countries around the world and made an 'average' of all their faces to give one final portrait.

So, according to this article, English people:

Name:	English.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	142133
    And Irish people:

Name:	Irish.jpg 
Views:	1433 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	142134
    There aren't any for Scots or Welsh people but it's interesting nonetheless.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocaineSquirrel)
    Some guy took thousands and thousands of images of people from countries around the world and made an 'average' all all their faces, giving one final portrait.

So, according to this article, English people:

Name:	English.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	142133
    And Irish people:

Name:	Irish.jpg 
Views:	1433 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	142134
    There aren't any for Scots or Welsh people but it's interesting nonetheless.
    omg that is so cool and the best bit is the irish ones actually look typically irish!

all 4 good looking too obvs

i wonder if there's an american one..
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Who is this?
    No idea. Found her on google images.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)

Spot the english crowd
    Second group

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 2, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.