The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What does a (stereo)typical English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish person look like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I think we probably do have a stereotypical look, its just that because we live here we don't realise it. I would personally say, feature-wise: pale skin with high incidence of freckles, mousy brown hair, high incidence of blue eyes, thin lips, relatively high hair line and weak jaw line, and tend not to have a prominent nose (not saying that there aren't English people with big noses, but it tends to be less common here than in places like Eastern/Southern Europe.)
Reply 61
Pale, bad/yellow teeth, distinctive facial bone structure - not as sharp as mainland europeans. not saying they are ugly or bad, just they are easily distinguished
Reply 62
No idea. I think it depends.

I'm olive skinned, thick dark hair, short, curvy (hips and booty haha), greenish-brown eyes, my teeth are all straight, have a long, broad nose.

One of my friends is milky skinned, tall, slim, short red hair, blue eyes, small nose, straight teeth.

Then again no one ever thinks I'm actually English. People think I'm on the European side of the family.
Reply 63
Original post by mel_1991
No idea. I think it depends.

I'm olive skinned, thick dark hair, short, curvy (hips and booty haha), greenish-brown eyes, my teeth are all straight, have a long, broad nose.

One of my friends is milky skinned, tall, slim, short red hair, blue eyes, small nose, straight teeth.

Then again no one ever thinks I'm actually English. People think I'm on the European side of the family.

So do you know if you have Southern European heritage?
Reply 64
Original post by Bellissima
i mean english/welsh more than scottish/irish because scottish and irish people have more of a defining look than english/welsh...

On my father's side:

Spoiler

Hell, I look so Irish that when I open my mouth people assume I've hired Hugh Grant to dub my speech. Which is a shame, really, since I feel I'd rather suit a Dubliners' brogue.
Reply 65
Original post by No Man
So do you know if you have Southern European heritage?

Spanish

It's either great-great relatives OR great-great-great relatives
but it's in there somewhere. :P

(And it wouldn't directly count for me but my aunts husband is Italian)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Profesh
On my father's side:

Spoiler

Hell, I look so Irish that when I open my mouth people assume I've hired Hugh Grant to dub my speech. Which is a shame, really, since I feel I'd rather suit a Dubliners' brogue.

you do look seriously irish!
Reply 67
Welsh:

There are a handful of classic looks in the British Isles which do not necessarily fall within national boundaries.

For instance there is one element that is particularly strong in Wales, Cornwall, the west coast of Ireland, the West Midlands and around Glasgow which consists of dark brown hair, olive skinned and dark eyed. They are usually small to medium in height but muscular and stocky. The facial features are chiseled with thick eyebrows. Not terribly common in England, but quite noticeable in Wales and Cornwall.

Then there is the Anglo-Saxon, Viking and Norman look. Tall, big-boned but usually lean, blonde to medium brown hair, with ginger blonde being the most common. Blue eyed, although sometimes blue-grey mixed. And the skin tone is almost universally pale to freckly. The facial features tend to be soft and boyish in men and youthful in women. This element is by far the largest group seen amongst the English but it can be found in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland too. It has a tendency to be strongest on the Eastern seacoast and in the South East of England.

The third element is sometimes referred to as the 'Irish type' though it is not just limited to Ireland. This type has dark brown hair, sometimes even jet black. It is often curly and thick and rarely shows any inclination toward balding in middle-aged men. The eyes are often a piercing blue with clear irises. The features are chiseled and angular. They are often medium to tall in height, and finely boned, almost gracile. The skin colouring is usually fair, but not as pale and pinkish as the taller, larger boned, blonde Nordics, nor as dark and olive toned as the stockier brunette type either. this blue-eyed brunette variety is heavily settled in Ireland, especially along the eastern counties. It is also common in Wales, western Scotland, and Cornwall too, but it is also noticeable amongst many of the English from counties west of the Pennines. People of this type are common in Lancashire, the Cotswolds, and the entire south west of England, from Dorset and Wiltshire westward.

And being the British Isles, home to the largest concentration of redheads in the world, the gingers do have a place, but they are not from a separate type. The majority are drawn from the blonde Nordic group, but the other two also have a certain degree of gingerism too, but nowhere near as common as amongst the Nordic group. For instance, red hair was especially common amongst the Vikings and the Normans. In fact, the gene for red hair has been found to be especially strong in many of the old-line aristocratic families of Britain.
Reply 69
Original post by sydney_watts

For instance there is one element that is particularly strong in Wales, Cornwall, the west coast of Ireland, the West Midlands and around Glasgow which consists of dark brown hair, olive skinned and dark eyed. They are usually small to medium in height but muscular and stocky. The facial features are chiseled with thick eyebrows. Not terribly common in England, but quite noticeable in Wales and Cornwall.

Having lived in Wales for 2 years now (and worked at rugby matches full of native Welsh people) I can definitely account for this. It's very common - I see so many men who look like clones of each other! Sometimes they remind a bit of the typical Italian look?
Original post by -aimz
Having lived in Wales for 2 years now (and worked at rugby matches full of native Welsh people) I can definitely account for this. It's very common - I see so many men who look like clones of each other! Sometimes they remind a bit of the typical Italian look?

The almost Mediterranean appearance of so many Welsh and Irish is supposedly because of the genetic remnants of a people who pre-dated the Celtic speaking peoples to these islands. These were the first of three major anthropological phenotypes ascribed to the British Isles. Found mostly in the Celtic fringes of Britain, they are generally dark haired, brown-eyed, medium to olive complected, square faced, strong featured, with thick eye-brows, often curly-haired, muscularly built, and short to average height. They are also found in the areas of England that were once sheltered by thick forests or mountains. Thus, you'll see this look sometimes amongst the population who's forebears originated around the West Midlands, Buckinghamshire and in the mountainous Pennine areas of Yorkshire and Lancashire. Many later drifted into the emerging industrial cities once common to these regions. The second brunette group, which I described in my earlier message - the tall, fine-boned, lanky, blue-eyed, thin-faced, angular featured element with prominent noses, would be the look that comes from the Celtic speaking peoples who invaded these islands after the arrival of the swarthier brunette group you noted. They are sometimes called the 'Irish type', because of a strong presence within the Irish population. However, they do make up a large part of today's British population too, and are especially common in the western counties and the western counties of England, Scotland, North Wales, and, of course, eastern Ireland. The third major phenotype of the British Isles, the tall, big-boned, pale skinned, round-faced, blonde/ginger elements can be traced to the Angles, Saxons and Jutes, as well as the Vikings, and later the Normans - who themselves were merely the French speaking descendants of Vikings. This blonde element is probably the largest and most recognisable amongst the population of England. It is especially strong along the east coast of England and Scotland, with a centre of prominence in East Anglia and the South-East of England. Anyone familiar with bourgeois elements around the Home Counties would recognise this particular form of pale-skinned, round-faced, soft-featured, ginger-blonde or light-brown hair look as being the most 'typically English'. However, those from the North-West around Manchester and Liverpool might cite the tall, lanky, brunette, blue-eyed, sharp-featured, fine-boned phenotype with the prominent noses as the typical English type as it is more common there than Metropolitan London and the blonder south-east.
So not true 😂
Reply 72
Well as for Irish there are roughly two types, roughly being the operative word. One is slimmer with more defined features and fairer hair. The other type is stocky, hairy, with blunt features and dark hair. Both are usually short so that's something they have in common.

Strangely im from a family of the latter but have features of the former.
I am English, obviously we don't all look the same like Americans don't but the traditional old English looks for a female are brown/hazel coloured eyes and dark brown hair, pale skin. same goes for Welsh. I have them looks but also have freckles and I'm short due to my dad being irish. X
Typical Welshman - short, stocky, black hair, sort of tanned skin
Honestly, the British stereotypes in general annoy me, not just English.

I'm English, honestly, I am most of the first stereotype. Most English people aren't as stuck up as people think, and our teeth aren't bad either. Though I have seen some rather disturbing people in my country, who are English. Honestly, there is no real stereotype for an Englishman/women. (We also aren't just arrogant or cocky because of our country, but because we just are. Like any other person we have different personalitys. It just seems t be common in popular parts of the UK.) Apart from the fact everyone thinks we love tea, say bloody and love all the time and sound like we're all from London. (Just like in other countries, we have different accents for different parts of our country, we don't all talk like a man/women from London.) ^^;

Just what I think about it personally as an English person, aha.
(edited 7 years ago)
I’m 2nd generation English but entirely British (not sure if that matters). I have extremely pale skin (very common in the UK). large blue eyes (common along with green eyes). Heart/round shaped face (kinda common). My other family members have large noses but I have a kinda small/round nose. My cousin is a little less English than me but is part Japanese and had completely different features. Hope this helps.
why do people presume that Irish people are all pale. The Irish side of my family look Italian, just google black Irish.
Original post by Bellissima
omg that is so cool and the best bit is the irish ones actually look typically irish!
all 4 good looking too obvs

i wonder if there's an american one..

We're all mutts here. If there were one for the US it would be an amalgam of all races and nationalities with a certain sneer or smirk of both pride and shame. Unless the question is directed towards Native Americans, in which case: which country?
Reply 79
Complete rubbish. There are no stereo typical looks. Think of every mixture possible of skin, eyes, hair colour and you will find them all over the UK and Ireland.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending