Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What are the highest paying careers?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    How much do Barristers earn?
    Depends on experience, and the set you're in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almalibre11111)
    look if you want to peak your money payments in young age {i mean ufrom 20-30}then athletes-artists and geniuses are in this category, in order to get rich by the "university" {and if you ever get rich} you must wait until your 40s-50s to get seriously rich,cause till 21-2 say you get your degree then you go into the first step of business world where is to get from three up to five years of work experience and actually understand the "real world " and the money you can make.. in these years you salary will be good {i mean you are not going to hungry} but u will not earn more than 3-4 thousand a month.. after this 3-5 years then you can increase your money significantly by earning around 70-100 thousans per year and as the years go by you can increase your money according to your skills and your character {and of your opportunities }until millions.. these in business type categories ,about doctors and staff each different.. but the usual is that after a lot of hard work and by the age of at least 35 you will be able to earn MONEY..
    I agree with a lot of what you say. Although, I'd say that there are several people earning more than £3000 - £4000 a month within 5 years of graduating from University.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Depends on experience, and the set you're in.
    Do you happen to have any ballpark figures?

For example what would a newly-qualified barrister earn in a well-paying set?

How about after 5 years? And 10 years?

I'm sure that it will depend, but do you have any rough figures?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    I agree with a lot of what you say. Although, I'd say that there are several people earning more than £3000 - £4000 a month within 5 years of graduating from University.
    it depends...one thing has confused me about it.. are the tax including in these money or you have to pay the tax from this amount..cause then,say your first year you earn 25,000 then £1,598 is what comes in your bank account every month,its big diference..what u think? about the 3000-4000 a month you said,i dont know,maybe in banking is that way but in most of the "business" degrees i find it very difficult to earnt this money for example in your second year or third.. usually the five years is the milestone where you can double your earnings and go to 60,000-70,000 per year..dont know...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends...one thing has confused me about it.. are the tax including in these money or you have to pay the tax from this amount..cause then,say your first year you earn 25,000 then £1,598 is what comes in your bank account every month,its big diference..what u think? about the 3000-4000 a month you said,i dont know,maybe in banking is that way but in most of the "business" degrees i find it very difficult to earnt this money for example in your second year or third.. usually the five years is the milestone where you can double your earnings and go to 60,000-70,000 per year..dont know...
    Ah I see, £3000 -£4000 a month after tax and national insurance is harder.

I think that's about £50,000 - £70,000 per annum, although I do think that amount can realistically be earned within 5 years of graduating from university.

To earn that 2nd year may be a little tough, but again I think it can realistically be achieved in my opinion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    Ah I see, £3000 -£4000 a month after tax and national insurance is harder.

I think that's about £50,000 - £70,000 per annum, although I do think that amount can realistically be earned within 5 years of graduating from university.

To earn that 2nd year may be a little tough, but again I think it can realistically be achieved in my opinion.
    little tough? more close to impossible is actually ;p we ll see...what are u studying?i mean what career you re looking for?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    little tough? more close to impossible is actually ;p we ll see...what are u studying?i mean what career you re looking for?
    loool check out financial/commodities broking and executive search/headhunting my man!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    loool check out financial/commodities broking and executive search/headhunting my man!
    that what are u going for? i dont know much about this..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    that what are u going for? i dont know much about this..
    I think I'll go for entrepreneurship but this will be a back-up option.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    I think I'll go for entrepreneurship but this will be a back-up option.
    haha ill go for entrepreneurship..you make it sound sooo easy..;p trust me we all are going for that...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Self-employment is bigger than unemployment and accounts for far more people than any given career in the UK (over 4 million versus a bit under 3 million).

If you take self-employment as a proxy for entrepreneurship, well, it isn't very pretty.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The richest people in my school (the types who would show off their dad's patek phillip watches :facepalm2:) had industrialist parents, the typical take a loan, set up a factory/trade, grow and eventually get filthy rich types. Then came people who worked for these guys in their business in top positions, making a smalllll fraction of the money they earn.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    49^6 = 13 841 287 201
    It's not that simple...

49x49x49x49x49x49 gives an extremely high number, but when you've removed a number you don't use it again. And the order of numbers doesn't matter....

So 49x48x47x46x45x44 is the number of ordered solutions.

But I could have 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 2,1,3,4,5,6 or 6,5,4,3,2,1 (there are 720 permutations of just 6 numbers)

So the number of combinations of 6 numbers from 49 numbers, is 49C6 (C being a statistics function)

49C6=13,983,816

Wow, I never thought I'd find a use for statistics...

But thats all completely off topic...
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    What's the best way to see the backgrounds of the board of directors of the ftse 100 companies?
    Search for the company on Reuters, click on "People". E.g: http://www.reuters.com/finance/stock...?symbol=GOOG.O
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    The richest people in my school (the types who would show off their dad's patek phillip watches :facepalm2:) had industrialist parents, the typical take a loan, set up a factory/trade, grow and eventually get filthy rich types. Then came people who worked for these guys in their business in top positions, making a smalllll fraction of the money they earn.
    Do you know what kind of factories and trades they typically set up? Do you have any examples?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Search for the company on Reuters, click on "People". E.g: http://www.reuters.com/finance/stock...?symbol=GOOG.O
    Very helpful thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    Do you know what kind of factories and trades they typically set up? Do you have any examples?
    Erm depends, mostly manufacturing, one of the wealthiest in my class built tankers and ships and also has a huge shipping business, another had business in pharmaceuticals. Most common trade was import and export, I don't how that works.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    Erm depends, mostly manufacturing, one of the wealthiest in my class built tankers and ships and also has a huge shipping business, another had business in pharmaceuticals. Most common trade was import and export, I don't how that works.
    Import/ Export that's a VAT swindle!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmon1)
    I think hedge fund managers/traders have a high average income yes, but the rich of the rich tend to come from retail and mining (to name a couple of industries that spring to mind) where the people at the very top accumulate masses of wealth.

Entrepreneurs too?
    Don't generalize or even dare setting hedge fund managers a step below other entrepreneurs.

http://www.therichest.org/business/h...managers-2010/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zalachenko)
    Don't generalize or even dare setting hedge fund managers a step below other entrepreneurs.

http://www.therichest.org/business/h...managers-2010/
    And at the other end of the spectrum thousands of hedge fund managers are earning just their salaries with dwindling management fees.

Take a look at forbes, you won't see many hedge fund managers in comparison to other occupations

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.