Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HPLC

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now this may sound like an incredibly stupid question, but I've run a load of HPLC samples, and got the chromatograms and values for each sample. My problem now is, where on earth do I start with analysing them?

Any helping hints or starting points are massively appreciated
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManicMetalhead)
    Now this may sound like an incredibly stupid question, but I've run a load of HPLC samples, and got the chromatograms and values for each sample. My problem now is, where on earth do I start with analysing them?

Any helping hints or starting points are massively appreciated
    Well, it depends on what you've been HPLCing and how, doesn't it?

Normal-phase, reverse phase? What compounds have you been running? Visualising by fluorescence at 254nm?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Well, it depends on what you've been HPLCing and how, doesn't it?

Normal-phase, reverse phase? What compounds have you been running? Visualising by fluorescence at 254nm?
    Capsaicin (hot compound in chilli's)

Reverse phase,
    UV detector set to 280nm
    1ml/min
    7 minute run time

Ran a few standards of pure capsaicin, and then made up and ran solutions of each chilli I had.

What else is there?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so you're doing quantitative work rather than trying to work out what compounds you've got. Nice one.

So, if you've done several runs of pure compound at varying concentrations, you should be able to plot a calibration curve (concentration of capsaicin against the integral of the peak).
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the calibration curve I can do, I just wasn't sure what to do with my results afterwards. I kinda get to the calibration curve, then hit a block and don't know what to do from there.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManicMetalhead)
    Yeah, the calibration curve I can do, I just wasn't sure what to do with my results afterwards. I kinda get to the calibration curve, then hit a block and don't know what to do from there.
    Then you start working in reverse. You've got samples of unknown capsaicin concentration, but you know (from the HPLC traces) the peak integrals. Use your calibration curve to go backwards - from the integral of the capsaicin peak, you should be able to read a concentration from the graph.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.